Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 07:26 PM

Default Gun Safe Move - Red Deer

I’ve purchased a large gun safe in Red Deer. It’s located at a private residence, in the garage. It’s new, and is still on its original shipping pallet.
What’s the best way to get it loaded into the back of my truck? It’s 900 lbs.
I live 2.5 hours from Red Deer, so I was hoping to hire a moving company to load it for me, if that’s even an option. Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2024, 07:29 PM

I’d call local equipment rental companies and see if they can haul it. Tommy gate and a pallet jack is all that’s really needed
Old 04-28-2024, 07:30 PM

If you end up doing it yourself, take the door off. When we put mine in our basement, we discovered that after we pulled the pallet wrapping. Good luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-28-2024, 08:07 PM

Guess it depends on a few things, but, one of mine weighs, think it was 503 lb, and I moved it up the stairs into my house by myself. I took the door off and had a dolly, so that broke it down to much more manageable approx. 200 lb and 300 lb pieces. If you have an extra pair of hands and a dolly, I suspect you could manage it.

If you give me a specific time, Monday to Friday, 8-5, I could probably come help you load it if you'd like. Bring some ratchet straps and lots of towels/blankets.

But yes, hiring a moving company to help you load it is also an option.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:09 PM

Engine hoist might work, that's how I installed my mill. Might have to put some Counter weight on the back.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-28-2024, 08:12 PM

Thanks for replies. I think I’ve got it figured.
A local moving company is willing to swing by, and load it for me (at a very reasonable flat rate).
Old 04-28-2024, 08:38 PM

Mine weighs 4000lbs. I hired a picker to move it to my attached garage and then used a pallet jack to get it to the door to the house. From there we used 1" pipe rollers to move it across the floor to a spot near the final resting spot. We then replace the rollers with about 6 golf balls so we could rotate the safe to get the orientation right. The last step was to use pry bars to lift the safe so we could get the golf balls out.

If your plan doesn't work, I'd get someone with a skid steer and pallet forks to load it for you.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-28-2024, 09:21 PM

Ramps and a come-along should work.
At 900lbs, that's less weigh than a moose and it is skidded not vertically lifted.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:01 AM

This does bring to mind… be careful who you hire to help. They “could” mention all your pretty guns to the wrong person. There’s so many thieves out there now.