Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2019, 04:01 PM

Default Cabin, outbuilding security ideas

Looking for neat and unusual security hardening, fake-security ideas besides the standard advice of sign-up-for-an-expensive-commercial-security-system.

Over time the monthly fees would add up to more than anything we could lose.

So our place is far enough from neighbours that any determined thief could always get into any of the buildings. We have power but no phone service and of course . (Therefore we leave nothing very new or of great value out there. ) Nothing that we noticed was stolen during the last break-in.

That said I want to deter the amateur snatch-and-grab thieves who just damage doors and locks. Eg I’m replacing the busted up garage/shed doors with commercial steel doors. Have some solar motion detector likes up too.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:10 PM

There's fake video cameras out there that run off batteries. They look like a real camera with a flashing red light but they don't actually do anything. Radio shack used to sell them for $20 about 15 years ago. Pretty cheap deterrent. I'm sure you could find them online.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 PM

Is it plausible to put a steel gate at the driveway? Would they be able to get around that?
Wouldn’t stop anyone if they had a grinder or bolt cutters - but would stop the ultra lazy ones looking for a quick drive in, smash+grab.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:52 PM

Yeah we have a metal gate with a cheap padlock on it but treed on either side. Glad you raised the point though. As is, bolt cutters or an angle grinder could easily cut it off. Maybe I could buy or dream up a secure latch or padlock shield/protector.

There’s other ways to access the place too via one field and our trails. In the winter they could drive right up to the place off the lake.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:29 PM

As a cabin owner who has had two break-ins and several attempts over 15 years that really ticked me off, what finally stopped the problems are these things:

1. Don't keep anything of value out there, because when it does get stolen, it is very annoying. IE: Cars, boats, ATVs, tools etc. There is nothing visible on my property like that anymore. I have the ugliest, most beat-up looking lawn tractor out there, (but works well) and it's never been touched.

2. Get real home alarm system stickers or signs and post them on the property.

3. I bought a 40 dollar Princess Auto Car alarm and screwed it to the inside of the shed door. It has a motion sensor so if they start jiggling the door, the alarm will "chirp" loudly. If they continue to mess with the door, the alarm goes off and its LOUD. I put a 12 volt battery in there on a trickle charger so even if the power is off, the battery will keep it going for weeks. If they are stupid enough to somehow open the door, either someone will hear it, or their ears can't take the noise.

4. Use really good quality padlocks, and make sure the house door has a deadbolt. The shed I put two 5 foot angle iron bars across the front that have bolts going through to the inside that cannot be removed. You swing up the angle irons together and I used two padlocks to lock them together across the doors. Hope this makes sense, similar to what they show here: http://www.security-guard.ca/shed-door-security-bar/

Have not been broken into for 10 years. The alarm on my shed I think is the key as the shed is the first thing they try to break into. Whenever I get to the cabin, I use the fob to disarm the alarm and 4 beeps tells me the alarm did go off at some point. Sometimes it does give me the 4 beeps, but have not had a break-in.

I've tried numerous cameras over the years, but without an internet connection, they are only an "after the fact" device and its too late, they already broke in. Oh yeah, put an old gas can in the shed, put in 10 litres of antifreeze and 5 litres of gas. They will pour it into their vehicle and only get 20 feet down the road!
Old 02-06-2019, 08:48 PM

An ominous sign too ..... usually with a 44 mag , or God or bury or no 911 in the message.

If you put a motion light on it when they approach

Lol.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:23 PM

Don't know if it legal or if it would work but put some crime scene or hazardous danger tape across the gate and entrance to the cabin. And a few signs saying something Like...

Crime Scene Investigation in progress. If you have information regarding the identities of the trespassers involved please contact the local morgue.

or

Danger! Biohazard. Do not enter buildings. Contaminated with lethal odorless gases hazardous to humans.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-06-2019, 09:57 PM

You see so many of these fake security cameras around you have to wonder if the bad guys take them seriously. Lots of good images floating around as well and the crooks are still on the loose.

Grizz
Old 02-07-2019, 08:09 AM

Not sure if you have power or just solar, but if you have power, get the night watcher motion light, it follows the subject as you walk or drive 180 degrees or even 270 degrees, to spooks lots of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vmgrWL-UIA
Old 02-07-2019, 08:31 AM

Only sure fire protection is "SSS" It works everytime, no repeat offences!
Old 02-07-2019, 08:32 AM

I’ve thought of adding signs say: “Did you see the security cameras? :-) ”

Just add things that make them unsure of the risks.

My guess is that a problem with any security signs is that the crooks just know to cover their faces.

Maybe signage suggesting that they’ve already been videotaped before they got to the gate. (That’s where a joint neighbourhood effort could help)
Old 02-07-2019, 09:05 AM

I mentioned before that we have a rural neighbour who marked his fuel tanks with opposite names....Gas on the diesel tank and diesel on the gas tank. He knows the difference but the thieves don't.

Get a custom made sign that says "Guard Dog on Duty". Don't use the beware of the dog signs that you buy in the stores as most people know that there is no real dog when they see those signs.

Don't leave anything attractive in the yard that can be seen from the road.

Use a game camera, but put it facing inwards from the road so that it will pick up the licence plate #. The vehicle they use will probably be stolen but, maybe not. One trick they use is to drive in and back out so that any cameras facing the road won't pick up the plate #.

After a snowfall, when you leave the yard, drive in and out a few times so they don't know if you are still home or not. One set of tracks indicates that you have probably left home but, with several tracks they are not sure.

Install a gate as it will deter smash and grabs.

Leave a large dog dish on the front step.

Always try give the impression that someone is at home.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:22 AM

As for the deterrent should be light( if you can get flashing a red and blue)And a few security signs . If you make it looking like you are protecting Fort Knox then that will prabably attract them thinking there are lots of valueble in there . Also a jerrycan with diesel in it and marked gas ....
Old 02-07-2019, 10:02 AM

I’m afraid there’s no hiding the fact that our place is empty. I’d have to run out there after every snowfall. I do show up at random times but like all lakeside cabins odds are that they are empty during weekdays and many weekends outside of the summer months.

Some of our buildings are just old weathered plywood sided so it’s pretty obvious that we aren’t big spenders. However I plan to put metal siding on several of them and that will change perceptions.

Knowing that they can just take a chainsaw or cordless sawzall or angle grinder to break into near anything, before the metal siding goes up I plan to “harden” the door openings etc.

Maybe put some 1/4” steel strips or angle iron around the doors, etc.

Maybe even paint on some tar undercoating or run strips of that butyl joist tape around possibly even in places along the walls to gum up any power tools.

We have a couple old sheds with drop bars but I think I can easily beef those up and maybe even add one behind an entry door with a hidden cable pull to the outside to lift it. (If they cut off the padlock they still won’t be able to get in.)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
I’m afraid there’s no hiding the fact that our place is empty. I’d have to run out there after every snowfall. I do show up at random times but like all lakeside cabins odds are that they are empty during weekdays and many weekends outside of the summer months.

Some of our buildings are just old weathered plywood sided so it’s pretty obvious that we aren’t big spenders. However I plan to put metal siding on several of them and that will change perceptions.

Knowing that they can just take a chainsaw or cordless sawzall or angle grinder to break into near anything, before the metal siding goes up I plan to “harden” the door openings etc.

Maybe put some 1/4” steel strips or angle iron around the doors, etc.

Maybe even paint on some tar undercoating or run strips of that butyl joist tape around possibly even in places along the walls to gum up any power tools.

We have a couple old sheds with drop bars but I think I can easily beef those up and maybe even add one behind an entry door with a hidden cable pull to the outside to lift it. (If they cut off the padlock they still won’t be able to get in.)
How about leaving nothing of value and not locking the doors? I like the blaring horn idea to drive them away. That way you don't have to worry about your doors being broke down.

Perhaps dig a hidden "Cave" with a ground level door to hide your good stuff? Brush it in and call it a day?
Old 02-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Well, at some point then one might as well just sell everything and stay in the city. I guess it’s like car ownership. Ideally one could or should just leave one’s vehicle doors unlocked but not many people actually do that as even just taking the few things kept in vehicle out every time it’s used, is just an ongoing hassle.

At our place there isn’t much of great current value but replacing quite old but well kept boats, canoes, etc. is where any theft will really hit the bank account. Leaving doors unlocked just wouldn’t work as some tools just have to be out there. We have to mow a very large area, clear trails, maintain fencing, etc.

Since I feel that we do need to keep doors locked, crooks can do a fair bit of damage. In the second from last break in, they pounded a hole through the garage door when just a good kick would have busted it open.

So I figure that if I have to spend some money on maintenance and renovations, like covering up old plywood with metal siding, I might as well upgrade the security as well.

Plus, it’s a bit of a game to deter thieves.

Last edited by KinAlberta; 02-07-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM

What surprises me is that with the combination of lots of rural crime, lots of Albertans with welding skills, lots of Albertans unemployed, and lots of Albertans with entrepreneurial desires, that simple products like better hasps and padlock protectors and secure latches aren’t on all the tens of thousands of rural sheds and buildings all over Alberta. Sadly I don’t know of any “Made in Alberta” solutions.

In any hardware store I can find flimsy, near useless hasps and padlocks but try to find anything that would actually do the job and there’s nothing to be found.

Example:
http://www.bwt-ladder-accessories.co...id/1/image/13/

Great guard but crappy hasp!!!
Padlock Guard, Hardened Steel
https://www.zoro.com/ranger-lock-pad...5l/i/G1637851/
Old 02-07-2019, 02:04 PM

Look up Lock Picking Lawyer on youtube. He shows ho to break into virtually every lock out there. Avoid Master brand locks at all cost. Any decent thief will see those and know it will barely slow them down.

Motion lights are a good deterrent but only if there is a possibility someone is around. If they know no one is home, you are actually helping them if they hit after dark.

Most of the dummy cams on the market are not going to stop a seasoned thief. They know what these cameras look like, once they know the cameras are fake they know they are in the clear. If you really want a dummy camera get yourself some used cameras of ebay, install them with power if you can. There are dummy cameras that have the ability to move following motion. Those are a deterrent but Im willing to bet thieves will get wise to those soon too. Trail cameras are becoming a better option. They are smaller and can be hidden almost anywhere. Many have better resolution as well. One thing to remember is the police likely wont care about your footage. Even if you can identify the suspect, they will likely just hand you a file number to give to your insurance company. Without real time monitoring and response, cameras are basically useless now.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-07-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
What surprises me is that with the combination of lots of rural crime, lots of Albertans with welding skills, lots of Albertans unemployed, and lots of Albertans with entrepreneurial desires, that simple products like better hasps and padlock protectors and secure latches aren’t on all the tens of thousands of rural sheds and buildings all over Alberta. Sadly I don’t know of any “Made in Alberta” solutions.

In any hardware store I can find flimsy, near useless hasps and padlocks but try to find anything that would actually do the job and there’s nothing to be found.

Example:
http://www.bwt-ladder-accessories.co...id/1/image/13/

Great guard but crappy hasp!!!
Padlock Guard, Hardened Steel
https://www.zoro.com/ranger-lock-pad...5l/i/G1637851/
My dad had something similar on a couple sea cans, real heavy duty and covered the whole lock except the key hole. Plates on both sides of the door to hold it together. More than once they just cut through the whole thing and then cut the locks off, can do way too much damage with grinders.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 PM

Yeah, they’ll probably soon be scoping out properties by drone.

My brother always used to scrawl our name in big letters on everything. Well, I had just upgraded some old, old fuel cans to new ones and of course in the last break in, the one thing they did steal was one of my brand new gas cans full of diesel.

So this past year I grabbed a stencil and permanent marker and went to work on all the containers.

I may go to town marking items multiple times in different places to reduce their attractiveness.

Come to think of it, there used to be stickers available saying all items on premises marked for identification.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:46 PM

I wonder if a bear shock mat would be at all effective?

https://www.tahoebearbusters.com/bea...tric-doormats/