Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: LR Harvest success x distance. What are the results?
I have harvested at least three Big Game animals a distances betwee 450-549 yards 51 53.68%
I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance of between 551 yards and 649 yards 17 17.89%
I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance of between 650 yards and 749 yards 13 13.68%
I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance greater than 750 yards 22 23.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2018, 03:22 PM

Default Long Range Hunting Success (Poll)

The practice of Long Range Hunting is becoming increasingly popular but harvest success rates are obscure. Let's see where we're are at:

1) I have harvested at least three Big Game animals at a distance of 450-549 yards.

2) I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance of 550-649 yards.

3) I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at a distance of 650-749 yards.

4) I have harvested at least two Big Game animals at distances of 750 yards or greater
Old 02-06-2018, 05:16 PM

you should have added:

"I have never harvested an animal at a distance greater than 300 yards", to see how many don't participate in long range hunting on this forum. Just to see how it would change the percentages. Good survey though.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Ya I would add an option for the less than 300 just to put it all in perspective. I would guess that most game is taken in the 0-200 yard range
Old 02-06-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Ya I would add an option for the less than 300 just to put it all in perspective. I would guess that most game is taken in the 0-200 yard range
Id wager that more than 99% of animals are taken less than 300 meters if you were to get an accurate survey of all alberta hunters
Old 02-06-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Id wager that more than 99% of animals are taken less than 300 meters if you were to get an accurate survey of all alberta hunters
Well no, because I would imagine that those that answer this survey have also taken game under 300 yds.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-06-2018, 05:33 PM

If you can’t get close than your not hunting. You’re just sniping.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Well no, because I would imagine that those that answer this survey have also taken game under 300 yds.
Exactly what i mean. I myself am interested in long range shooting and feel comfortable out to 500 meters if the circumstances are proper. But the major part of my hunting still ends up being very close. I regularly set up with long range views of forest edge, and still most times my animals are taken under 80m. This year i got two animals. they were 45 meters and 6 meters.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
you should have added:

"I have never harvested an animal at a distance greater than 300 yards", to see how many don't participate in long range hunting on this forum. Just to see how it would change the percentages. Good survey though.
This is where I fall in, more like well under 200 yards....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-08-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This is where I fall in, more like well under 200 yards....
For sure. We have to assume that most of us fall in that category. As the poll was a LR thing, I had to choose a distance that would be considered long range by most and go up from there. Defining actual LR shooting distances would be impossible.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alder View Post
you should have added:

"i have never harvested an animal at a distance greater than 300 yards", to see how many don't participate in long range hunting on this forum. Just to see how it would change the percentages. Good survey though.
like^^^^^
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:24 PM

Furthest I ever shot a deer was 330 m and that was after a lot of shooting in the summer before hunting season. Not sure if I would take that shot now. The vast majority for me is less than 100 m

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2018, 11:37 AM

With 1382 viewers and 55 individuals selecting one or more of the poll options we can likely come to an interpretation of some type regarding LR Hunting. What's your take ?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
With 1382 viewers and 55 individuals selecting one or more of the poll options we can likely come to an interpretation of some type regarding LR Hunting. What's your take ?
That 1330 people should keep their opinions about it to themselves.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-08-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
That 1330 people should keep their opinions about it to themselves.

Surely you can do better than that Chuck.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Surely you can do better than that Chuck.
Tell me why you think it’s OK for someone who has not done something successfuly. Or applied themselves so that they can be successful has any right to give advise or criticize someone who has? I know it is all the rage, but you need to stop. It’s wearing thin.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-08-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Tell me why you think it’s OK for someone who has not done something successfuly. Or applied themselves so that they can be successful has any right to give advise or criticize someone who has? I know it is all the rage, but you need to stop. It’s wearing thin.
First of all, tell me where the advice or criticism is coming from on this thread. Your status as a bona fide LR shooter really wasn't a consideration...sorry.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I was referring to an interpretation of the poll .. nothing at all to do with an opinion on the discipline of LR hunting. Poll results can be interpreted in different ways.

It appears that only a very small percentage of hunters participate in LR hunting practices.Those that responded indicated they have been successful on at least two occasions which, in my opinion, indicated they were well prepared to do so. Others may see it differently.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
My Take? Some are comfortable shooting short, some are comfortable shooting long , some are just comfortable shooting and then there's the shooters that are just flukey and didn't know any different.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
My Take? Some are comfortable shooting short, some are comfortable shooting long , some are just comfortable shooting and then there's the shooters that are just flukey and didn't know any different.
Finally some one with common sense in him,it's a big world not every on is the same level ..
Old 02-08-2018, 11:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Here is the real kicker on this type of thread and the results, we used to sit around and bs how good we are etc and then one fella says turkey shoot...pay 5 bucks and shoot rested closest to the bullseye wins a turkey, 5 shooters on the range at a time 100 yards...well I tell ya the outcome was funny and the excuses piled up real quick...good times, had a 4 powered scope on top of the ol'marlin 30/30 took home a few turkeys that afternoon and some turkeys just went home

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 PM

Under 300 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 10:08 PM

I have taken approximately 260 big game animals so far in my life. Only two were beyond 600 metres. The first was as a kid, because I screwed up a really close range shot and could not get on the deer again due to dead ground. The second was an intentional long shot with almost no wind, a known range, and lots of practice with my gear. Other than those two animals, maybe 50 or so at 300-400 metres and the majority between 25 and 200 metres.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:04 PM

Default <3%long shots

Almost 40 years hunting behind me now,I've shot at exactly TWO animals past 300 yards,both WT,smoked em both in the heart/lungs,one was a paced off 315y,the other GPS'd at 340m +/- 7m accuracy?(380yards??)
Probly 1/2 a dozen more between 200-300,a dozen or so from 100-200,and several dozen with bows,rifles,shotgun and MLs from literally point blank under a tree stand to 100.
I've never even been tempted to shoot at anything farther,nor have I verified trajectories nor worked on the skills required to shoot farther.I've never owned nor even used a range finder,but I'm pretty confident in my ability to guesstimate 300 yards give er take and that's all I've ever needed,hold on hair not air for anything out to 300,other then that one longest WT I gave him about 6" hold over spine.

All that said n done,I've got no issue with those that have the skillsets required to CONSISTENTLY make FIRST ROUND SUB MOA HITS taking 7,8,900+ yard shots,"walking it in" with elevation and windage corrections is not acceptable nor ethical IMO.
My only concern is that there are a lot of wannabe snipers out there that only think they are good.On the other hand,lotsa guys out there have no bizness shooting beyond 30y with a bow and think they can shoot 60,and many more again that dust off their rifle on opening day shooting from the same 6 year old 20 round box of ammo that probly haven't checked a zero in years and do well to hit a moose at 100y broadside,soooooo.....who's to judge?