Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Default the difference between rifle disciplines

Another thread got me thinking about the difference between rifle disciplines and how they sometimes get stereotyped one way or the other.

" Anybody can shoot a gun off the bench ",
Bench rest shooters can't shoot offhand", Fcllass is basically a lottery without flags( a recent one) ,
" rifle rodeo is not serious competition but only a fun shoot",
competition shooters aren't aas good in the filed as guys who have hunted for 30 years" ,
" you need a specialized gun for Fclass",

unless your gun will hold 1/2MOA you are screwed for palma match shooting".
The list goes on, but one factor remains that many people do not realize, and that FACT REMAINS that every shooter on the line, be it SRBR, LRBR, Fclass, rifle rodeo , TR, Palma, you name it, is shooting under the very same rules as the guy next to them, and that the best shooter is going to win the day.
Many years ago I remember an article in Precision Shooting where a greenhorn to bench rest got talked into borrowing a gun and won the agg .
he was not your everyday gun crank however, his name was Gary Anderson and he was a World Champion in smallbore and a fullbore shooter as well!
What he did not know as far as equipment was concerned , he more than made up for by being able to put a shot sequence together that rivalled the best in the World, and had the mental discipline second to none when it came down to being able shoot under stress.
Something to think about, for sure!
A good disciplined shooter takes each heat as seriously during a rifle rodeo as he/she would in a national championship.
Just an observation from a shooter who has competed in many different disciplines over the years, and seen the best shooters come out on top in the worst conditions!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-22-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM

I just love the smell of gunpowder, don't care how I get my fix, a greenhorn looking forward to the DV Rodeo!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:29 PM

The skill sets and equipment can vary so much that comparison has limited meaning. Want to compare yourself with F-class, shoot F-class. Want a BR comparison, pull up to a bench.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Another thread got me thinking about the difference between rifle disciplines and how they sometimes get stereotyped one way or the other.

" Anybody can shoot a gun off the bench ",
Bench rest shooters can't shoot offhand", Fcllass is basically a lottery without flags( a recent one) ,
" rifle rodeo is not serious competition but only a fun shoot",
competition shooters aren't aas good in the filed as guys who have hunted for 30 years" ,
" you need a specialized gun for Fclass",

unless your gun will hold 1/2MOA you are screwed for palma match shooting".
The list goes on, but one factor remains that many people do not realize, and that FACT REMAINS that every shooter on the line, be it SRBR, LRBR, Fclass, rifle rodeo , TR, Palma, you name it, is shooting under the very same rules as the guy next to them, and that the best shooter is going to win the day.
Many years ago I remember an article in Precision Shooting where a greenhorn to bench rest got talked into borrowing a gun and won the agg .
he was not your everyday gun crank however, his name was Gary Anderson and he was a World Champion in smallbore and a fullbore shooter as well!
What he did not know as far as equipment was concerned , he more than made up for by being able to put a shot sequence together that rivalled the best in the World, and had the mental discipline second to none when it came down to being able shoot under stress.
Something to think about, for sure!
A good disciplined shooter takes each heat as seriously during a rifle rodeo as he/she would in a national championship.
Just an observation from a shooter who has competed in many different disciplines over the years, and seen the best shooters come out on top in the worst conditions!
Cat
I agree with you on this. I remember the discussion...if you don't shoot my favourite discipline then you can't shoot squat...

In a certain way I am reminded of the divider game in the biology field of a century ago. Even the most minute difference between the 'norm' and the one in front of the viewer was worth dividing off into a separate species.

There is a tendency on this site to divide and bicker...I must say this makes it a pain to be around here sometimes.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
The skill sets and equipment can vary so much that comparison has limited meaning. Want to compare yourself with F-class, shoot F-class. Want a BR comparison, pull up to a bench.
Exactly my point!
About the same as comparing skeet to trap, both use shotguns, but that is about the only thing that is constant except for the level of concentration needed to get to the AA level.
I've heard it time and again that one is easier or harder than the other, the thing to remember is that it doesn't matter which one is harder or easier to shoot, the score is what it is at the end of the day in either discipline, and the more birds you drop, the lower on the leader board you will be!
Cat
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 PM

Default variety is good

Glad to see this thread as it reflects my pov on the shooting sports:
each is worthwhile in its own right.

Just as in other areas of human competition, I meet all kinds of folk who are passionate about what they do (no matter where they rank) and who all have their own way of dealing with the pressures of competition.

Here are the shooting sports that I've competed in at one time or another:
- trap
- smallbore rifle metallic silhouette
- high power centrefire position shooting
- ipsc practical handgun, 2-gun, 3-gun
- cowboy action
- smallbore pistol metallic silhouette

When the chance and the funds present themselves, I will give others a go.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Banned

Pull the trigger, do it in a controlled format and enjoy.

Isolate the negative try to gather the positive?

Most important is to enjoy.

All informal shoots can encourage participation.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 PM

for me at least it does not matter which discipline is "better" than the other they are all difficult and or fun in their own way. I shoot because its fun and i enjoy associating with other like minded people.
in fact the other day i somehow managed to enter into a small skeet competition without realizing that i had entered. someone said are you shooting skeet today and assuming it was just like every other day just hanging out shooting i said "SURE" i shot all my shells and came back to realize i had just placed 4th. if i had known before starting that it was an actual competition i would have concentrated way too hard at winning and probably ended up with a very bad score but because i was just out having fun like usual i ended up doing not bad.
now if only i could find a way to keep that state of mind during the times i actualy KNOW i am competing
Old 07-23-2014, 09:38 AM

I have never shot in a competition (but have stayed at a Holiday Inn, and have several Range buddies that do shoot competition) ... And like tikka250, avoid adding the pressure factor to an already challenging skill.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Agree completely. Especially with shooting off a bench. Anyone can yank a trigger on a bench, but I feel it is discipline that wins the race.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:01 AM

Well written CAT. Couldn't agree with you more!
THANK YOU.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:17 PM

Just like playing pool in the bar. Don't change the rules partway through & we'll have a lot of fun.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Just like playing pool in the bar. Don't change the rules partway through & we'll have a lot of fun.
Yup, be aware of the rules going on and it's all good!
Some guys like shooting in pool your manners , some don't .
Played a lot of bar pool, never entered a tournament though.....
Cat
Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Cat
Good point Cat, just because you don't enter a tournament doesn't mean you can't shoot (be it billiards, horseshoes, or shoot'n groups or score )
Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 PM

Yet there's a difference between 'shooting' and 'shooting on demand' under match constraints. Most find the latter to be more of a challenge.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Cat
Hmmm, that said "tournament " not " your manners" on my phone when I hit the enter button
Cat
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
That about sums it up, any discipline at the top level will be have the best competitors and will be difficult to win, that's what makes it fun for me .