Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Camp Wainwright

Hey guys i have the priority to get draw for camp wainwright this year because i have been 999 it for a couple years... anyone ever hunted it? if so any success story's?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Do a search for "Wainright "on this board and you will find a pile of posts and pics of hunts in the camp. A lot of guys reported on last falls fun.

I'll have to check and see but I have some priority and may get the "primative" season next year. One of my fav hunts.

Robin in Rocky
Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 PM

When is the best time to go for trophy quality? Are there better bucks taken in the muzzleloader season or later in the year. I can do either but just wondering what is best. I kind of prefer to hunt the last date to make the season last a little longer but I would think everything would be shot up by then.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:56 PM

The first seasons pretty much have the best bucks.....some good ones are taken later but if you want trophy quality, go early....
Old 02-19-2008, 09:29 PM

Was born and raised in that country, just accross the river. That was too many years ago. Hunted there quite a bit, back when you could get drawn every second year. It's a good hunt, one everyone should do if they can at least once. I wasn't into primitive back in those days. I always put in for first or second week of rifle seson. After that the big ones are pretty shy. The best areas ( IMO) are in the river breaks on the west side of the camp. There used to be some big fellas hanging out in there. It's tough to be selective on areas if they are changing the access around a lot.
The biggest bodied deer I have shot to date came from the camp. Weighed 369 lbs (164 kg). Head gear wasn't bad either, but he was old and starting to shrink. Good mass though. Had to drag him 1/2 a mile and stuff him into my Bronco by myself. That was a chore. Good thing they gave you two gut bags cause the first one didn't last long. Just made it back before the deadline, if I remember right. Didn't have to pay for search party.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:43 PM

Thanks guys i will check out the previous posts!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:26 PM

brought home 3 deer 07 season, but i didnt like it it seemed like a free for all i got the second last season, seen some nice bucks but all in the no go zones i dont think ill draw for this area again, unless its for moose, saw tons of moose
Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 AM

A guy I used to work with when in Wainwright said that it is dangerous. They have all the hunters in such a small area that he felt it was scary. After the first day the deer were so flighty that he isn't putting his draw in. I used to put mine when I lived Wainwright but now that I moved to Lloyd I don't bother as it probably isn't worth it. There is alot of area just as good and not the concentration having to deal with the concentration of hunters around Edgerton.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

"They have all the hunters in such a small area"

Well I have been twice (And going again!) and have never experianced that. Not sure where you get SMALL AREA from.. I still havent seen all the base has to offer.

Jamie
Old 02-21-2008, 12:20 PM

You don't get to hunt the whole area from my understanding. They greatly limit the area that you can go.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:33 PM

Depends on the day. Sometimes lots closed, sometimes very little closed. Still, a huge area and, if you are willing to walk, you can get away from the crowds.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:48 PM

hmm i will have to think this through... i have been putting in for the draw for a bit now so i will probably just get it anyways and see how it plays out..!
Old 02-21-2008, 02:00 PM

i ahve my draw with my dad and brother soon for there and can't wait so if anyone has stories please do tell
Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 PM

waste of time going to CW, big area, too much cover, december is cold, gas is expensive
just 999 it again.
im only a prioirty two
so if you and 200 other guys 999 it then i can go one year earlier

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-21-2008, 04:19 PM

2006 was my first year there - last season in December, and I'll be back!

If you get out and walk, you'll seldom bump into anyone else.
Lots of game.
You've extended your hunting season.
You're helping gather important data for F&W scientists (go Margo!)
and you get to see some terrific armed forces vehicles!

My only regret is that the hotels/motels in Wainwright seem to be overpriced and terribly beat up, and the late December season is too cold to camp out!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
2006 was my first year there - last season in December, and I'll be back!

If you get out and walk, you'll seldom bump into anyone else.
Lots of game.
You've extended your hunting season.
You're helping gather important data for F&W scientists (go Margo!)
and you get to see some terrific armed forces vehicles!

My only regret is that the hotels/motels in Wainwright seem to be overpriced and terribly beat up, and the late December season is too cold to camp out!
What do you mean over priced and beat up? Them's dang fine places to rest your butt.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:40 PM

I think it is a great hunt there myself. I've been there 4 times over the years. I got skunked the first time and there was about 3 feet of snow ...very hard to drive around, but did see some big deer. The second time I was there it was hot, no snow and no deer until late the 2nd day when a snow storm came in. We got on the first set of tracks and the fella I was with pushed a deer to me when I was resting my back against the fence. It was a 26" ....164 net 8.5 year old mule buck. On the third time it was hot and dry the entire three days with now snow and we maybe seen only a handful of deer. The 4th time (one year ago....2006) was great. Lots of snow and lots of deer were seen every day. On the first day of my 4th hunt there, about 20 minutes before dark I caught a glimpse of a good whitetail buck running to some trees about 150 yards away and let the lead fly and heard the unmistakeable thump we all love to hear. I gave it 1 or 2 minutes as dark was approaching fast and took up the blood trail through the trees and had to make one more final shot as he blasted out the other side and collapsed by an old trail that I was able to drive up to. Very lucky for me as there was about 2 feet of snow everywhere. He turned out to be a 5 x 5 with a busted off G1 and G3 on one side and he still grossed 153 with the missing points. It was the biggest whitetail shot during that 3 day hunt. I prefer myself to be picky there as to I would like to try to take a trophy home for myself. I can't wait to go again!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki10 View Post
hmm i will have to think this through... i have been putting in for the draw for a bit now so i will probably just get it anyways and see how it plays out..!

There is normally a grouse hunt on the camp the long weekend in Sept. If I were you I would take a shotgun and a GPS and a bird-dog if ya got one and go in the camp. You may have some fun shooting birds but you will get a feel for getting around the camp and may find a place you want to head for on opening day of the deer hunt. Like others have said the areas open in deer season varies. So do not select one place to deer hunt opening day. Try and locate 4 or 8 in different areas of the camp. Then at least one of your pre scouted areas will likely be open for the deer hunt. You can look at air photos or GOOGLE EARTH and find funnels and saddles and areas you might suspect will have deer traffic. Then confirm on the ground in the bird season.

I have hunted the camp many times and hope to many times again.

Have a good one!

Robin in Rocky