Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2018, 10:38 PM

Default Binos

For anyone wanting a new set of Binos. Mcbain Camera is having a pretty good sale on Nikon and Swarovski. Not sure how long the sale will be on.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:24 AM

Odd...their website does not allow you to see their sale prices.

Says see chart which you cannot access
Old 07-14-2018, 07:21 AM

When you go to sports optics from there main page pretty much all those have the sale prices. Go to a specific brand and it does not give the sale prices. Swarocski CL 8X30 for $700.00 seams like a pretty good deal to me.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
When you go to sports optics from there main page pretty much all those have the sale prices. Go to a specific brand and it does not give the sale prices. Swarocski CL 8X30 for $700.00 seams like a pretty good deal to me.
Always wanted a set of Swarovski's...but had a Nikon Monarch budget.
Picked up a set of the 10x30 Swaro's for $749.00. I work there...and this a one time deal that put them far below what I would get with employee discount.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:09 AM

Good price but not quite sure how well an 8x30 will perform in the field. Good for the bird watcher type but maybe a stronger lens is needed for hunting. 8x42 seems a much better choice.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:26 AM

We I ordered a set of Swarvo 10x30, pocket bino's, been looking at sum for a while, so nice discount.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I work there...
I am unable to open www.mcbaincamera.com (using Firefox browser, which has no problem with any other sites)

I avoid / do not use telephone,
Please post the McBain Camera email address.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Good price but not quite sure how well an 8x30 will perform in the field. Good for the bird watcher type but maybe a stronger lens is needed for hunting. 8x42 seems a much better choice.
First, 8 power is 8 power, no matter what...they have the same magnification.
As to the second number, that determines your light gathering ability. And yes you are correct...to a degree. 42mm beats 30mm IF EVERYTHING is equal.
So a set of 8x42 Swaro's will trump the 8x30 in low light.
But the $1500 (retail) Swaro's cost that much because of superior glass and much better lens coatings. So when you compare a 8x30 $1500 bino against someones $300 8x42 there is a very good chance that the more expensive bino will be brighter.
That's why I sprung for them. I tested them looking into some brush and dusk and the 8x30 Swaro's were just as bright (with a bit better contrast) than the 8X42 Nikons. Just to be clear...If you have $300-$400 to spend you can't beat the Nikon's in my opinion.
So I get a bino that does what I need and it is more compact than what I was using.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I am unable to open www.mcbaincamera.com (using Firefox browser, which has no problem with any other sites)

I avoid / do not use telephone,
Please post the McBain Camera email address.
Somethings up with your Firefox...is it updated.
Firefox is all I run and our website is opening with no problem for me.
If you have questions that can wait til Monday you can contact me directly at btodrick@mcbaincamera.com or today at sales@mcbaincamera.com (but I won't be there). As far as sport optics are concerned you want to speak to myself or Andrew for the most knowledgeable.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:03 PM

Default 8x30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I can assure you that Swaro 8X30's do not perform merely ''WELL'' in the hunting fields. ''PERFECTLY'' would be a better description. My SLC's are light, compact, and bright enough for any hunting here in this province. Lets not forget the party's over 1/2 hour after sunset. What am I gonna use for Antelope this October ? Probably the 8x30...My new to me Swaro 10X42's are nice glass, but heavy and a little clumsy...
Old 07-15-2018, 10:32 PM

Went down to the Mcbain location in Red Deer on Saturday. Looked at the Swarovski 8X30 and the Nikon Monarch 7 in 8X42. Did not like the Swarovski no matter what the price was. Bought the Nikons as they were the first binoculars I have used that to me are eye glasses friendly.