Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I say, fight fire with fire. Mix up some of this stuff on a rag and stuff it in their house's fresh air intake.

If that doesn't help, finish 'em off with this.

Neighbor did if to themselves when they allowed skunks to den under their front porch. They loved watching the little cuties.

The next year they bought a dog. One morning dog looks out and sees skunks. Skunks scamper under front porch and start spraying. Spray comes into the house via space between foundation and structure. House smelled like skunk for months and months.

That would be cruel to do that intentionally.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I would love to take that out in a swamp...however noise bylaw would mean two wrongs...don't make a right.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You need to read the OP.

There already is a bylaw.

I am asking what can outdoor pot smokers do so as to be respectful of neighbors and the bylaw.
I gave you a good answer in post 56
Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
People complaining of pot smoke. Sheesh. People can do whatever they feel like on their property unless it’s serously causing harm to the neiborhood. If it’s getting into your house then obviously there’s a problem with your house.
Try living near a feed lot with the smell of rotting flesh all day everyday. That pot smoke would probobly smell pretty good.
Can you think of a product.

We don't live in the country. Feed lots aren't allowed in a city.

I guess you may of pointed out the issue with pot smokers not realizing they are negatively impacting neighbors.

As for a problem house...

Can you picture a home fitted with a manual air defuser, movement and interior cooling device?

Here is an example.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. That is also a great answer to the OP.

Thanks again!

Old 03-11-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
Your naivety is awesome.

Those aren't houses with smokers dear Sundancefisher.

Those are grow-ops in your neighrbourhood hahahah.

Let that settle in for a minute.

That people think things will change significantly after July 1, is awesome.

They won't. Calm down.

We are doing the right thing. Finally.
So you are a pot smoker. I care less about your personal life choices. I chose not to smoke.

You may no longer notice the smell however it is absolutely disgusting to many.

Knowing that would you still intentionally subject your neighbor to it? Their kids, wife, guests etc?

Can you respect that it stinks and would you consider using something so that the smoke doesn't stink up my yard? Is that not fair?

What is out their that you could use?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. That is also a great answer to the OP.

Thanks again!

you're welcome....

it's like someone going from a home still to a full blown distillery.

I can't foresee myself going back to any other form of consumption.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
You don't make sense. The bylaw says smoke from your yard/house can't go into my home/yard.

Apartment / condo may have smoking rules... but bylaws trump those.
Go back and re-read your posted Bylaw... Here's a hint;

- smoke is a "VISIBLE" airborne particulate ("smells" dont count)

If your train of thought were to be implemented, every condo building with East Indians cooking curry-laden dishes would be evicted...
Can you actually "see" the smoke from next-door inside your house or even your yard ?

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 03-11-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claystone View Post
once it becomes legal, people will want to grow their 4 plants and I doubt they will want anyone to know they have possably 4 lbs in their closet. my point is if they can grow with no smell they can smoke in their homes with no smell.
Was just fishing with a realtor.

I guess there is an issue impacting home sales. If you are growing 4 pot plants properly or improperly will you have to disclose that to the buyer?

Humidity and mold is the main concern.

There are companies selling home grow op kits.

But yes. Smoke inside your own house if it is not a problem for neighbors. Neighbors say it is...therego smoke indoors.

It is an option in the absence of a product to filter smoke.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I was going to mention that. Many different solutions are already available. Electric pipes, vaporizers and edibles to name a few more ! Lots of products will be showing up once it’s legal to do so. I actually think that grinding and cutting and rolling will become a thing of the past. People that walk around stinking like pot will be a thing of the past. You will be OK Sundance !
Old 03-11-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
So you are a pot smoker. I care less about your personal life choices. I chose not to smoke.

Knowing that would you still intentionally subject your neighbor to it? Their kids, wife, guests etc?

Can you respect that it stinks and would you consider using something so that the smoke doesn't stink up my yard? Is that not fair?

Would you give the same consideration to a neighbour that complained about your back yard fire pit or the stink coming out of your dryer vent?

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Go back and re-read your posted Bylaw... Here's a hint;

- smoke is a "VISIBLE" airborne particulate ("smells" dont count)

If your train of thought were to be implemented, every condo building with East Indians cooking curry-laden dishes would be evicted...

Pot smoke is a particulate. Just dispersed so less visible.

Hence you can see it breathed out.

However even if you agreed to disagree on the definition. Can you think of a product that you can breath the smoke in so that it doesn't defuse into the neighbors bedroom?

https://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/...stionID=000636

"Analysis of the smoke contents of marijuana and tobacco reveals much the same gas phase constituents, including chemicals known to be toxic to respiratory tissue. Moreover, these gas phase components are present in somewhat similar concentrations in the smoke generated from the same quantity of marijuana and tobacco.

The particulate phase (tar) constituents of marijuana and tobacco smoke are also generally similar, with the major exception that marijuana contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and scores of other llIC-like (cannabinoid) compounds not found in tobacco, while tobacco tar contains nicotine not found in marijuana.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
M y o b
If my kids are breathin in that stank on my property, then it is my business, maybe your ok with kids breathin pot smoke, but I sure ain’t!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Was just fishing with a realtor.

I guess there is an issue impacting home sales. If you are growing 4 pot plants properly or improperly will you have to disclose that to the buyer?

Humidity and mold is the main concern.

There are companies selling home grow op kits.

But yes. Smoke inside your own house if it is not a problem for neighbors. Neighbors say it is...therego smoke indoors.

It is an option in the absence of a product to filter smoke.
Not a smoker myself and never grown it but 4 plants? I don't know how much humidity and mold would come from 4 plants. It's not like a major grow op.

If the neighbors had kids, I would probably just put up with it for the five minutes until the smoke cleared. I'd rather see people smoke it outside than indoors with children. If they didn't hve children i would ask them to take it inside.

Another reason I am glad the closest people to me are a half mile away. If you can smell your neighbors at any time, that's just not right.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Would you give the same consideration to a neighbour that complained about your back yard fire pit or the stink coming out of your dryer vent?
Yes. I am very considerate of the firepit. Keep the fire hot and smoke low. Heat carries it up and away. Pot drifts low and lingers.

Dryer vent...wow. Scary what you must be drying.

Can you think of a product that would work to remove smoke?
Old 03-11-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Pot smoke is a particulate. Just dispersed so less visible.

Hence you can see it breathed out.

However even if you agreed to disagree on the definition. Can you think of a product that you can breath the smoke in so that it doesn't defuse into the neighbors bedroom?
I appreciate your differing opinion on the definition and subsequent application of it to the bylaw.

But that said, again there is nothing anyone can legally do about a "smell" coming onto their property...

The only suggestion to abate the smell from your residence, is to politely talk to the "offending" neighbor and ask that they to try to not allow the smell to travel in your direction.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Not a smoker myself and never grown it but 4 plants? I don't know how much humidity and mold would come from 4 plants. It's not like a major grow op.

If the neighbors had kids, I would probably just put up with it for the five minutes until the smoke cleared. I'd rather see people smoke it outside than indoors with children. If they didn't hve children i would ask them to take it inside.

Another reason I am glad the closest people to me are a half mile away. If you can smell your neighbors at any time, that's just not right.
A buddy said to grow good pot you end up with humidity. Not a grower myself and kind of an aside however anyone growing should be cautious about humidity issues.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your differing opinion on the definition and subsequent application of it to the bylaw.

But that said, again there is nothing anyone can legally do about a "smell" coming onto their property...

The only suggestion to abate the smell from your residence, is to politely talk to the "offending" neighbor and ask that they to try to not allow the smell to travel in your direction.

Hey but that is the crux of the post. Going next door to say stop cause it stinks even is delivering the message as nice as possible would be better served if you provided a solution to help.

Maybe they can't smoke in the house because of the wife, kids or rental situation.

Therefore just wondering what products are out there.

Have only a few suggestions in a ton of side tracks.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Yes. I am very considerate of the firepit. Keep the fire hot and smoke low. Heat carries it up and away. Pot drifts low and lingers.

Dryer vent...wow. Scary what you must be drying.

Can you think of a product that would work to remove smoke?
I guess I'll word the question differently as you seem to think your fires don't stink. If a neighbour came to you and said your fire really bothers my asthma or your dryer vent smell really bothers my asthma, would you stop with the fires and go to scent free laundry products?

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-11-2018, 06:17 PM

Came home from a day out with the family a few summers ago to find the house smelling like campfire smoke, my wife was livid so she called bylaw and told them the house was full of campfire smoke and they came right over to investigate.

When they arrived they asked her where the smoke was she said can’t you smell it they said yes but the smell is not smoke and the smell of campfire is not on there list of noxious odours and they couldn’t do anything to help

Where we live we it’s either the smell of campfire or feedlot we can live with it or move

Calgary bylaw uses the term smoke not smell so you may be in the same boat
Old 03-11-2018, 06:20 PM

We get it lots. We just put up with it.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
They must be diehard smokers if they're smoking dope outside in February or is OP complaining about a problem that doesn't exist?

Speaking of troll threads

They don’t want it to stink up their own house hence why they are smoking it outside. They don’t care about your house.

Try being sandwiched in between two drug dealing house for two years. It was hell.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 03-11-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father of five View Post
Came home from a day out with the family a few summers ago to find the house smelling like campfire smoke, my wife was livid so she called bylaw and told them the house was full of campfire smoke and they came right over to investigate.

When they arrived they asked her where the smoke was she said can’t you smell it they said yes but the smell is not smoke and the smell of campfire is not on there list of noxious odours and they couldn’t do anything to help

Where we live we it’s either the smell of campfire or feedlot we can live with it or move

Calgary bylaw uses the term smoke not smell so you may be in the same boat
Bingo !!! I've dealt with a similar situation, but like I mentioned it was cooking smells. My only option was to move, I couldn't stand the smell.

As I said, he doesn't have a leg to stand-on when it comes to using the Bylaw to stop the "smell"...

The only solution is what I've already stated, or do what 99% of the other people do that live by smokers ---> live with it or move out.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I guess I'll word the question differently as you seem to think your fires don't stink. If a neighbour came to you and said your fire really bothers my asthma or your dryer vent smell really bothers my asthma, would you stop with the fires and go to scent free laundry products?
Yes.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Banned

I am a quiet lurker on the site and enjoy it immensely !
I don't comment often.
It is my opinion that Dope Smokers don't fully realize that there habit effects others.
I used to smoke and enjoyed it, especially while fishing.
It has been a long time since then.
Pot now is 20 times more potent than in the past.
The last time I smoked, I lost the ability to speak for 4 hours, PARANOID..
I think that Sundance is a bit of a NIMBY.
Most of the Dopers just go outside and have a Puff and then back indoors.
I could be wrong..
But with what is really going on in the world..Chill Out Dude..
If you live within a community, you have to accept that you cannot control everything in your immediate horizon.
Might be time to move or find a better way to live amongst the others...
Getting mad and having it effect your attitude is NOT going to help.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Yes.
Good on you, you are bigger than most.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-11-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:

Nowhere in my post did I suggest that in any way.

Care to clarify how you managed to interpret that?

Stop trying to control everything, it's often a sign of deep insecurity.

Maybe it's time for some soul searching.

I've heard that there is something that can help mediate that. PM me if you'd like more info.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I was going to mention that. Many different solutions are already available. Electric pipes, vaporizers and edibles to name a few more ! Lots of products will be showing up once it’s legal to do so. I actually think that grinding and cutting and rolling will become a thing of the past. People that walk around stinking like pot will be a thing of the past. You will be OK Sundance !
I've been looking into many things for my mother, who , following her ICU visit in 2016, and from a lifetime of health problems including strokes, and arthritis at 60 does not have much of a quality of life, and is already taking different prescribed medications.

Although I had quit marijuana years ago, I started again as a way of helping her find something to help her burden.
Sort of acting as a guinea pig.

Not something that comes from some guy that you don't know. Or what it is.

But from a quality controlled, Health Canada regulated, dispensary,

I'll be lucky to have my mother around for a few more years.

If this is something that will help her, to be able to come visit me in my home, to get through the day, not crippled up, be able to sleep without or minimized pain.

Then yeah.

There are ways to have no smell, and still get the benefits that comes with it.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Bingo !!! I've dealt with a similar situation, but like I mentioned it was cooking smells. My only option was to move, I couldn't stand the smell.

As I said, he doesn't have a leg to stand-on when it comes to using the Bylaw to stop the "smell"...

The only solution is what I've already stated, or do what 99% of the other people do that live by smokers ---> live with it or move out.
I am fine with assuming you are right on the rules. Doesn't preclude having options to fix the problem.

There are a few given. Maybe vap will take over the market for the delivery.

Thanks to those who made positive contributions to the thread.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Strange how no one has constructive ideas.

All the above are subject to the bylaw. Smelling ribeye is not the same as pot. A really smoky fire is a problem especially if a neighbor has asthma. A smoker is the same thing. You can't run a smoker under a neighbors bedroom window. And you wouldn't. You would be considerate regardless of the bylaw. The bylaws are their when neighbors are bad or ignorant of their problem and people can't help.
No one has constructive ideas because people have been smoking pot since before anyone here was born. How many times do you think arrests are made or tickets are handed out for someone smoking a joint at home? What makes you think they will do anything about it now. Alberta's laws say you can smoke it anywhere you can smoke a cigarette. If you came to my house and told me my cigarette smoke bothered you while I was sitting on my deck I'd tell you to pound sand. According to the law you can smoke a joint on the sidewalk anywhere that isn't within the restricted distance of a doorway.

Like I said if it's not a problem now it won't be when the law is past. I don't like dudes covered info axe spray or women douced info perfume but I deal with it because it's their right.
Closed Thread