Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:08 AM

Default If you have someone smoking pot next door and stinking up your yard what do you do?

In a perfect world if you have a good neighbor chat it out.

Their are ways to remove smoke.

Otherwise the Calgary bylaw does support residents who don't wish to be skunked into shuttting windows and / or going indoors.

https://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerk...f?noredirect=1

Smoke and Dust
42. A Person shall not engage in any activity that is likely to allow smoke, dust or other airborne matter that may disturb any other Person to escape the Premises without taking reasonable precautions to ensure that the smoke, dust or other airborne matter does not escape the Premises.

Do people have any experience with cutting down smoke? What products work best.

Maybe sharing can help people planning to smoke pot outdoors respect their neighbors.

Cheers.

Sun

Google gave this.

https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Buddy-0.../dp/B00478UIB2
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

Otherwise the Calgary bylaw does support residents who don't wish to be skunked into shuttting windows and / or going indoors.

Smoke and Dust
42. A Person shall not engage in any activity that is likely to allow smoke, dust or other airborne matter that may disturb any other Person to escape the Premises without taking reasonable precautions to ensure that the smoke, dust or other airborne matter does not escape the Premises.

Maybe sharing can help people planning to smoke pot outdoors respect their neighbors.

Cheers.

Sun

Google gave this.

If it's not presently a problem for you I doubt it will be. Plus you are talking about a whole 5 minutes if hardship. If it is a problem having a chat with your neighbor will be the first step.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:17 AM

Buy a big diesel truck and let run for a 1/2 hour twice a day I'd take pot over that any day.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:18 AM

M y o b
Old 03-11-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
If it's not presently a problem for you I doubt it will be. Plus you are talking about a whole 5 minutes if hardship. If it is a problem having a chat with your neighbor will be the first step.
Hmmm.

Maybe you need to first think about the post.

I am not assuming it will however for some it will be a problem. So rather than snark how about contribute some solutions so everyone can get along?

In worst case scenario...someone smoking pot outside in a residential neighbourhood is breaking the bylaw.

Everyone has the right to quiet enjoyment of their home and yard.

So what can a smoker use?

Please don't derail thread.

If you have an idea of a product that will help stop smoke drifting to the neighbors house please let us know.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-11-2018, 10:23 AM

Sundancefisher:
Report it . It's at this point illegal. when they come, pay no mind to some of the A.O. TROLLS
To each his own
Old 03-11-2018, 10:24 AM

We sold our condo on Vancouver island for that exact reason. Next door neighbor rented his unit and it always seemed to have a pot head rent it.
We lived about 80 ft. from the ocean,and liked to sleep with our bedroom window open. Most nights about 10pm was smoke up time,and we had eau the skunk drift in our window. When BC brought in a smoking law I thought it would be over,but it is a tobacco law not a smoke law. I never got involved in weed as a young man,and have no plan to start now. Thankfully I will be spending most of my time on my half acre in Beaver Mines breathing mountain air.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
M y o b
When the reek invades my living room it is my own business.

But in terms of solutions, I had thought of a few thing that might help either relocate or potentially neutralize the obnoxious stank. One is an ashtray with a fan connected to a 20’ chimney, but not a guarantee. Another is a secondary combustion phase, say have a powered propane burner that re-burns the smoke.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-11-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
M y o b
Yep, a dying attribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield303 View Post
Sundancefisher:
Report it . It's at this point illegal. when they come, pay no mind to some of the A.O. TROLLS
To each his own
Just walking around the neighbourhood you can tell which house smokes pot outside as you can smell it all the time.

Just thinking about ways to get along once it becomes legal.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Funny how cigarette smoke seems to dissipate quickly, but the smell of pot smoke seems linger for quite a while.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Just walking around the neighbourhood you can tell which house smokes pot outside as you can smell it all the time.

Just thinking about ways to get along once it becomes legal.
Do you own a dog or cat?
Time the the wind just right or buy a big fan. Burn the pet droppings on a spare/BBQ.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Yep, a dying attribute.
It’s an attribute to let ignorant jerks stink up your home? That’s rich

Perhaps it’s more of an attribute to not be a jerk to your neighbors and take some initiative about not being the one creating the issue in the first place! Holy delusions of no personal responsibility Batman. Doesn’t surprise me in the least though, consideration and foresight are dying attributes.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-11-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:35 AM

They must be diehard smokers if they're smoking dope outside in February or is OP complaining about a problem that doesn't exist?

Speaking of troll threads

Old 03-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Banned

I can see the neighborhood pot watches popping up.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Do you own a dog or cat?
Time the the wind just right or buy a big fan. Burn the pet droppings on a spare/BBQ.
Again.

While maybe funny...until unbeknownst to your wife she surprises you with a grilled ribeye...still trolling versus providing requested input.

Don't expect to have such a neighbor but others may. So...it happens...you invite him/her over for a beer and mention you care less if they smoke but the smell for you makes you sick. Any chance they can smoke indoors or better yet...here is a link to this product so we can all enjoy our own back yards without negatively impacting the other.

Maybe they just need a brownie recipe?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:46 AM

Since becoming a mod, I think I'd likely join em

In all seriousness, I think we are gonna have to get used to it. Kinda like living in a pulp mill town.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Again.

While maybe funny...until unbeknownst to your wife she surprises you with a grilled ribeye...still trolling versus providing requested input.

Don't expect to have such a neighbor but others may. So...it happens...you invite him/her over for a beer and mention you care less if they smoke but the smell for you makes you sick. Any chance they can smoke indoors or better yet...here is a link to this product so we can all enjoy our own back yards without negatively impacting the other.

Maybe they just need a brownie recipe?
Sorry. Way out of my league. I would ask/mention it nicely. then I would be a pain in the azz.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
They must be diehard smokers if they're smoking dope outside in February or is OP complaining about a problem that doesn't exist?

Speaking of troll threads

Nice. Yes. There are people who smoke outdoors. Go for a walk around the community. Maybe learn why a thread about how to get along is the opposite of you calling such a thread a troll.

Has someone complained to you about your smoking?

The biggest failure in neighbors is not respecting the other.

The whole I will do as I please in my yard is a poor excuse and not supported by bylaws.

Who would rather have bylaws come between people versus having a chat! If you have the chat you are best to have constructive solutions.

What is wrong with a thread about finding constructive solutions?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Hmmm.
Everyone has the right to quiet enjoyment of their home and yard.
If it comes to home and yard, there are by laws after that MYOB. In apartment or condo there may be regulations as to what tenants are allowed or not allowed to do.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:50 AM

I’m not sure if the pot advocates posting have put any thought whatsoever into their comments here, perhaps excepting Tyler. A few people called it a troll thread and said to myob, but if you read the first post it notes an existing Calgary bylaw and the suggestion of discussing things and devising solutions so as not to be the cause of a problem. It’s pretty obvious who the trolls are and a few of you need some mirrors in that regard. Have at least a modest amount of consideration for others, there’s no need to be belching your smoke onto and into their property. The other people are clearly not the problem based on these stellar examples of community spirit.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Sorry. Way out of my league. I would ask/mention it nicely. then I would be a pain in the azz.
I believe your process is common after just calling bylaw...either way it erodes relationships.

The question is out of my league also hence asking. I was hoping for positive input from the pot community who would say these are the top 3 products.

I can't see all members of every house living the smell of rotting socks. There has to be something you can blow into or use.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I believe your process is common after just calling bylaw...either way it erodes relationships.

The question is out of my league also hence asking. I was hoping for positive input from the pot community who would say these are the top 3 products.

I can't see all members of every house living the smell of rotting socks. There has to be something you can blow into or use.
Not me. Not my cup of tea.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
If it comes to home and yard, there are by laws after that MYOB. In apartment or condo there may be regulations as to what tenants are allowed or not allowed to do.
You don't make sense. The bylaw says smoke from your yard/house can't go into my home/yard.

Apartment / condo may have smoking rules... but bylaws trump those.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Smoke and Dust

Cheers.

Sun

Google gave this.

For someone that regularly shat on NIBYism concerning pollution from oil and coal, you seem to have quit a case of it in your own life. How is it any different than building a fire in your back yard, which lots of people hate?

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Banned

A "pinner" doesn't last more than 5 minutes. Are these neighbours of yours, chain smoking dopers? And no I don't smoke
Old 03-11-2018, 10:55 AM

Rather than post troll comments can only people with some product solutions provide feedback.

If the thread goes dark because there is no other solutions then bylaws are the only option which would be too bad.

Going to kill some perch now.

Will check back later.

Chow for now.

Sun
Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Rather than post troll comments can only people with some product solutions provide feedback.

If the thread goes dark because there is no other solutions then bylaws are the only option which would be too bad.

Going to kill some perch now.

Will check back later.

Chow for now.

Sun
Good. Go have some fun.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
For someone that regularly shat on NIBYism concerning pollution from oil and coal, you seem to have quit a case of it in your own life. How is it any different than building a fire in your back yard, which lots of people hate?
You need to build a fire with little smoke. Sign up for scouts and learn how.

My feelings on oil and gas have never changed and are not the same as this at all.

You impressions appear wrong. Please PM me with the specific thread and we can discuss versus another derail.

You have no solution. No need to post.

Cheers. Sun
Old 03-11-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
A "pinner" doesn't last more than 5 minutes. Are these neighbours of yours, chain smoking dopers? And no I don't smoke
Why should anyone have to shut their window or leave their yard because someone lighting up to smoke pot next door if their is a gadget that makes everyone happy.

Heck...if not too expensive I would even buy it and gift it to the neighbor in exchange for s rum and coke and chat about fishing or hockey.
Closed Thread