Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2018, 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=58thecat;3748020]What resort?

memories flamenco
Old 03-10-2018, 03:29 PM

I think they have traveling alert for Jamaica , due to the recent. Event involving touring getting attack and robbed. Probably safe in the resort . Personally I would go Cuba. It’s like traveling back in time and cigars and drinks and food definitely fun and get your money’s worth .
Old 03-10-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
I think they have traveling alert for Jamaica , due to the recent. Event involving touring getting attack and robbed. Probably safe in the resort . Personally I would go Cuba. It’s like traveling back in time and cigars and drinks and food definitely fun and get your money’s worth .
Gang violence. Some resorts were not even safe.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Neither

There are sooooo many nicer places than either of those two. You are spending lots of money, investing your time and most importantly making a memorable trip for you and your son. Go someplace better than Jamiaca, Cuba and throw Mexico in there.....zzzzz

As mentioned above Belize, Caymans, Turks etc. I'm not quite sure why you think that going somewhere else in the Caribbean is 20 hrs!! We're not suggesting you to go the Philippines.
I'm not saying that the other places in the Caribbean is a 20 hour flight, I was talking about Asia being a 20 hour flight! I've been on a few different dives in Asia, including the Philippines and Brunei, but I've never been to the Caribbean for diving, That is the point of this thread, to get information about the diving opportunities in the Caribbean, reading about the experiences of fellow country men who have been where I have not.

And thank you all for the feedback.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:35 PM

Default Mexico bombings

Other than what news outlets have said is there any other news as to why they are bombing ferries or who is responsible, surely it’s not the cartel as they own resorts in Mexico and you would think they wouldn’t bite the hand that feeds them
Old 03-10-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Gang violence. Some resorts were not even safe.
I was in Jamaica when the travel alert was on. Army was called into Montego Bay to root out criminals . A few check stops on the highway was all we experienced. I felt safe , at least they were doing something about the criminals, not like some of the other countries.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:55 AM

Bikini Atoll..where else you can dive on an aircraft carrier? If I was a diver this would be a must do.

Re Cuba vs Jamaica I personally prefer Cuba as I found them much less pushy regarding selling items, but as said there are a ton of other tropical places to try, many have been mentioned.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My daughter just got back from Cuba after several times there and said never again. They said it has been going downhill every time but is taking huge dives now. They said the food is more or less inedible now, that if you are anything but a power drinker looking for anything other than being slammed to the point of blackout its not worth going.
We were in Cao Santa Maria a few weeks ago, and in Cao Coco last year. The food was fine at both places. A water line burst at the resort in Cao Coco, which caused some issues for some people, but the the resort at Cao Santa Maria was very good.. The only inconvenience is flying from Edmonton to Toronto, instead of direct to Cuba.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
I wouldnt go back to cayo coco area. The mosquitos were ridiculously bad at night. Beaches were great, resort we stayed at was great but you cant escape the mosquitos at night.

The bug spray on the resort did not work at all and there is no where you can go to buy anything you forgot at home.

On the plus side the dolphon excursion in cayo coco was one of the best ever. They let us swim with the dolphins as long as we wanted...
I take bug spray anywhere I go and in the evening I give the legs a shot of spray just to keep all critters off my legs, got bit by something in DR on the ankle at a nice dinner and ankle swollen the size of a baseball and burned like a bugger for a few hours....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-11-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We were in Cao Santa Maria a few weeks ago, and in Cao Coco last year. The food was fine at both places. A water line burst at the resort in Cao Coco, which caused some issues for some people, but the the resort at Cao Santa Maria was very good.. The only inconvenience is flying from Edmonton to Toronto, instead of direct to Cuba.
He got food poisoning there twice, she did last time. They are tougher or dumber than me, I wouldn't go back after someone getting it once.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-11-2018, 10:23 AM

If there's fresh seafood available, I can fend for myself, I'm pretty handy with a fire pit, or a kitchen, and vacations usually afford plenty of time for cooking.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
He got food poisoning there twice, she did last time. They are tougher or dumber than me, I wouldn't go back after someone getting it once.
Perhaps they are just unlucky at picking resorts, there are many, many resorts in Cuba.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Perhaps they are just unlucky at picking resorts, there are many, many resorts in Cuba.
Or they did not preserve the food, or got a bad shipment of food, or they did not properly clean/cook it...

She says it was Veradero, Sol Palmeras twice, first time was the Melia Veradara

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-11-2018, 11:12 AM

Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica- yeah such wonderful family friendly tourist places lol

https://globalnews.ca/news/4070488/c...curity-threat/

Old 03-11-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
What are you using air miles? Been there 1/2 a dozen times & have flown direct with Air Transat out of YEG every time.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
What are you using air miles? Been there 1/2 a dozen times & have flown direct with Air Transat out of YEG every time.
Charters to Cuba are direct..with WestJet et al , pretty much everything goes thru' Toronto
Old 03-11-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Charters to Cuba are direct..with WestJet et al , pretty much everything goes thru' Toronto
Sunwing direct to Cuba.....no Toronto bs...

Old 03-11-2018, 05:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Sunwing direct to Cuba.....no Toronto bs...
Sigh...as I said.. CHARTERS fly direct from Calgary, etc.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:36 PM

In a word - Cozumel !!

Friendly people, great diving, and lots of different options to chose from. My preference is Scuba Club Cozumel, but there are other great operators such as Blue XT-Sea, Aldora, Tres Pelicanos, and Dive with Martin to name a few.

The nice thing about Scuba Club is the "house reef" right out in front of the resort. Maximum depth about 25 feet, a bit of current at times, but lots to see. All the shore diving you want is part of any package they offer.

Mr Conservation
Old 03-11-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
In a word - Cozumel !!

Friendly people, great diving, and lots of different options to chose from. My preference is Scuba Club Cozumel, but there are other great operators such as Blue XT-Sea, Aldora, Tres Pelicanos, and Dive with Martin to name a few.

The nice thing about Scuba Club is the "house reef" right out in front of the resort. Maximum depth about 25 feet, a bit of current at times, but lots to see. All the shore diving you want is part of any package they offer.

Mr Conservation
I would have to agree, Diving in Cuba and Jamaica was not as good as Cozumel (or on the Yucatan peninsula, right across from the island). I was doing 1 to 2 dives a day picked via boat from the resort, quick and easy, and of the three the best place to dive. That said Belize, the Bahamas and the US virgin Island kick the poop out of the Yucatan, Cuba and Jamaica.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
We bought vacations through Westjet, and were happy with the service, other than flying through Toronto. Friends flew direct with Sunwing, and were not so happy.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
We bought vacations through Westjet, and were happy with the service, other than flying through Toronto. Friends flew direct with Sunwing, and were not so happy.
Sunwing, sez it all Fool me once, never again
Old 03-11-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Air Transat does not go thru TO. Direct from Edmonton or Calgary, done both.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Air Transat is a charter..
Old 03-11-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Your cramped unless you get the front seats which are awesome for lots of leg space. Staff was always entertaining and fun.

West jet is definitely a step above regarding the aircraft seems larger seats.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Sigh...as I said.. CHARTERS fly direct from Calgary, etc.
it was a nice day to get lots of fresh air.

Major charter airlines in Canada include Air Transat, Sunwing Airlines, Thomas Cook Airlines, and CanJet.

See no capital letters...just sharing information and yes sometimes things are missed or misunderstood.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica- yeah such wonderful family friendly tourist places lol

https://globalnews.ca/news/4070488/c...curity-threat/
Can happen anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
We fly Air Transat if we can. Good service, planes are comfortable (we always book the rows that only have 2 seats), good in seat entertainment and for a small fee, we upgrade to the Option Plus. You get seat selection, extra luggage, free food/drink and priority check in.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:32 PM

Neighbour goes to Cuba every year for couple months to ahem .. sample the senoras , he says it's the safest country in the world for tourists . If a native harms a tourist they get sent to jail for several years .

Prices have gone up after Obama let limited access to US tourists .. .not sure if Trump reversed that .

If you don't have passable Spanish now it's best if you learn some before you go .
Old 03-12-2018, 06:53 AM

You don't need a dry suit for the West Coast, It's nice but I've always used a good 7mm upper and lower wet suit and been warm. It is the getting in and out of the suit in cold weather that sucks, warm weather at it is fine. Having said that the vis is better in the winter.