Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Default Jamaica or cuba

Hey guys, just looking for some direction, I'm planning to take my 11 year old son diving some time in the next month or 2, was thinking of Jamaica, or cuba, or some other destination that doesn't include 20 hours on a plane. Never been to either of these paces myself, I've done most of my diving in Alberta, with a dry suit! I have also done a good bit of diving in Asia, (very nice dive sites there) but as mentioned earlier, don't want a 20 hour flight! Also, taking my boy with me, so I need a location that is good for a beginner. I need something with plenty to see in shallow water, also need clear water, some articles I read suggest that Jamaica tends to be a bit murky until June.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Cuba, cayo coco area has many long beaches with reef out front, fairly shallow, was at memories caribe 6 years ago not diving but snorkling and you could go about 500 meters out and the water at the deepest was maybe 15' deep then out to a beautiful reef with lots of reef fish and areas to explore. Not sure if there was a dedicated diving area but Google this area and you won't be disappointed.
7hr direct flight from Edmonton.
Good luck, beautiful place with now newer resorts too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-10-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Hey guys, just looking for some direction, I'm planning to take my 11 year old son diving some time in the next month or 2, was thinking of Jamaica, or cuba, or some other destination that doesn't include 20 hours on a plane. Never been to either of these paces myself, I've done most of my diving in Alberta, with a dry suit! I have also done a good bit of diving in Asia, (very nice dive sites there) but as mentioned earlier, don't want a 20 hour flight! Also, taking my boy with me, so I need a location that is good for a beginner. I need something with plenty to see in shallow water, also need clear water, some articles I read suggest that Jamaica tends to be a bit murky until June.
Belize. San Pedro for diving. Strong diving infrastructure. Great water. English speaking.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-10-2018, 09:01 AM

I have a friend that goes to a different diving destination every year. He recommends Belize as a starting point.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll look up Belize, and see what they offer! How's the water clarity around April or May?
Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Thanks for the replies, I'll look up Belize, and see what they offer! How's the water clarity around April or May?
Belize is fantastic. Look up the blue hole.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Blue_Hole.jpg

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-10-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Belize is fantastic. Look up the blue hole.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Blue_Hole.jpg

I'm hooked!
Thanks
Old 03-10-2018, 09:33 AM

My daughter just got back from Cuba after several times there and said never again. They said it has been going downhill every time but is taking huge dives now. They said the food is more or less inedible now, that if you are anything but a power drinker looking for anything other than being slammed to the point of blackout its not worth going.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My daughter just got back from Cuba after several times there and said never again. They said it has been going downhill every time but is taking huge dives now. They said the food is more or less inedible now, that if you are anything but a power drinker looking for anything other than being slammed to the point of blackout its not worth going.
Which areas?

Had friends just return from cayo coco area and they were very impressed.

I guess just like other countries from one geographical area to another things really change, we went to holguin Cuba and were not impressed as compared to cayo coco.

That Belize area looks really nice, how long of a flight to get there? Hate long flights, changing airplanes, waiting in airports etc

Went to DR once to an island from Edmonton/Toronto then to DR...by time we got on the boat to the island cayo lavantado 23hrs...we were wiped out...pooped...not relaxing two full days to travel there and back, like the OP said get to an area relatively quick.

Mexica, Akumal Bay was beautiful for diving,snorkling,fishing etc....direct flight no farting around.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:56 AM

We’re headed to the island of Curacao this May for 2 weeks. Never been but looks beautiful. Flights were reasonable out of Edmonton. Think we paid just over $600 and renting a condo on the beach.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Which areas?

Had friends just return from cayo coco area and they were very impressed.

I guess just like other countries from one geographical area to another things really change, we went to holguin Cuba and were not impressed as compared to cayo coco.

That Belize area looks really nice, how long of a flight to get there? Hate long flights, changing airplanes, waiting in airports etc

Went to DR once to an island from Edmonton/Toronto then to DR...by time we got on the boat to the island cayo lavantado 23hrs...we were wiped out...pooped...not relaxing two full days to travel there and back, like the OP said get to an area relatively quick.

Mexica, Akumal Bay was beautiful for diving,snorkling,fishing etc....direct flight no farting around.
No idea, they said but I didn't write it down. They were impressed the first time too, but that fell with each subsequent trip. I am a Hawaii guy, the wife loves it too. The kids go to Cuba because it is dirt cheap, like most everything else you get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Unfortunately a good percentage of all-inclusive vacationers go solely for the power drinking/sunshine, no matter where the destination. The last time we went to Cuba, we opted for a a fairly new 2 bedroom apartment with a full kitchen in Varadero. Much better experience for us, as we could prepare our own food if we wanted to, had a nice quiet pool to ourselves mostly, and were able to eat at any restaurant of our choosing. We had some very good meals while we were there. This coupled with not having to constantly be part of the herd around the buffets/pools/bars. No yelling, no drunks no buffet fare. Plus it makes you feel like you're not tied to the resort and can head out and actually experience Cuba. We'll definitely be returning, as it it probably one of the safest sunshine destination to go to, and has an abundance of well educated interesting people to learn from.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:20 AM

3 Years ago we went to Holguin, it was ok I am not a resort type person. But I don't think we will ever go back. As for food I don't go to those Countries fo the food it is more for the culture, scenery and people.
We just got back from Nicaragua food wasn't that special there either , plantains and rice and beans but we did have some super meals at some restaurants.

Lots of fishing and diving on the Corn Islands in Nica so that could be another contender.
You fly with Aero Mexico from Calgary to Mexico city, with a 1.5 stop over and then off to Managua Nicaragua. It cost us just under 450. PP to fly there. Beer and food is super cheap you can easily live on 10-20 dollars a day.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Bonaire
Old 03-10-2018, 11:52 AM

Neither

There are sooooo many nicer places than either of those two. You are spending lots of money, investing your time and most importantly making a memorable trip for you and your son. Go someplace better than Jamiaca, Cuba and throw Mexico in there.....zzzzz

As mentioned above Belize, Caymans, Turks etc. I'm not quite sure why you think that going somewhere else in the Caribbean is 20 hrs!! We're not suggesting you to go the Philippines.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:03 PM

If you want nice diving. St. Lucia is incredible, cozumel was also very nice.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:05 PM

I love cuba, the people are genuinely nice, educated and speak three languages. Stick with the cayos for family, varadero for partys. I only snorkel but cuba has been on par with everywhere else ive been in the Caribbean and central america (not yet been to belize).
You wont get great meals at any buffet, be it cuba or any other country in the world but ive never gone hungry.
The nice thing about cuba is you dont see any starbuck, McDonalds, pepsi or heinze. Everything is local and authentic but for some, they like the guarantees of branded products.

Cuba is also the only place in the Caribbean that you wont be pestered to buy crab on the beach all the live long day
Old 03-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Banned

I liked Cayo coco Cuba. Probably the best tropical place I've been. Jamaica is great if you're a fan of panhandlers. Lots there. I know of a guy in roaton that does dive tours if you're interested?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Cuba is also the only place in the Caribbean that you wont be pestered to buy crab on the beach all the live long day
LMFAO....Wrong!! How many Caribbean islands have you been to?
Old 03-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Banned

If you dont want a long flight your options are super limited from edmonton. You may want to start with that as come the month of may you have less options for direct flights.

Edmontons airport website has a break down of direct flights by all the different vacation spots.

I love jamaica but had to fly out of toronto the one time i went. That becomes a 20 hr flight. Cuba youll always have lots of flight options all year round. Been to cuba many times.... never had a bad trip.

You can go super baller in cuba for the same price as a basic resort in jamaica.

I can appreciate not wanting long flights. I dont mind flying through toronto when going to places like st lucia, st kitts, st marteens... but not for jamaica, cuba, dominican.

Diving in st lucia was unreal if you open yourself up to lojger flights.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Neither

There are sooooo many nicer places than either of those two. You are spending lots of money, investing your time and most importantly making a memorable trip for you and your son. Go someplace better than Jamiaca, Cuba and throw Mexico in there.....zzzzz

As mentioned above Belize, Caymans, Turks etc. I'm not quite sure why you think that going somewhere else in the Caribbean is 20 hrs!! We're not suggesting you to go the Philippines.
the vast majority of islands end up 20 hour flights if you connect in toronto. Edmontons options arent very good..
Old 03-10-2018, 01:36 PM

I have never, not one time flown through Toronto to go to the Caribbean, and I've been to at least a dozen islands. I despise going through Toronto in the winter due the tendency to have flights delayed, not to mention its out of the way.

You can fly out Miami, or Fort Lauderdale to pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean easily. Flying to Florida is easy with many direct flights or a short layover in Minny or Chicago from Edmonton.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Bonaire
I think that is one of the islands beside us. They call them the ABC islands. Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. We’re flying through Toronto but it’s not terrible (beside the departure from Edmonton at 1am). Leave Edmonton at 1am. Get to Curacao at 2pm. Total time on the plane is around 9hrs. I agree, to far for a quick week trip but we’re taking 2 weeks and taking our time.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:47 PM

we fly out to cayo coco next Monday. We love cuba there's no time share people or people trying to sell you things the second you leave the resort.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Bonaire, Curacao, St Lucia, USVI, BVI, Turks, St Kitts, and the rest of the eastern islands.....they are the Caribbean.

Small islands with lots of history, culture etc.

Cuba has a population of a 11 million people. Cuba and Jamaica are the fast food when comparing to a 5 star restaurant. Sure people like fast food, I do. But I sure as heck prefer a nice Steak and Lobster diner.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:24 PM

If heading to the outer carib, definitely do some digging in regards to hurricane Irma. Infrastructure and reef damage etc

When we go back to the carib, I'd probably check out Belize for diving.
I'm also interested in Nicaragua.

I need to get my dry suit cert so I can do some west coast diving!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Unfortunately a good percentage of all-inclusive vacationers go solely for the power drinking/sunshine, no matter where the destination. The last time we went to Cuba, we opted for a a fairly new 2 bedroom apartment with a full kitchen in Varadero. Much better experience for us, as we could prepare our own food if we wanted to, had a nice quiet pool to ourselves mostly, and were able to eat at any restaurant of our choosing. We had some very good meals while we were there. This coupled with not having to constantly be part of the herd around the buffets/pools/bars. No yelling, no drunks no buffet fare. Plus it makes you feel like you're not tied to the resort and can head out and actually experience Cuba. We'll definitely be returning, as it it probably one of the safest sunshine destination to go to, and has an abundance of well educated interesting people to learn from.
You are very correct regarding the people, simply very friendly, and if your into fishing well watch out cuz you will have a instant friend/guide. I catch and they eat, also get a scooter and go for a ride and check out things, friendly people.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
LMFAO....Wrong!! How many Caribbean islands have you been to?
I have never been pestered at all in Cuba, the people set up areas to sell stuff, your choice if you want to venture through, I do know that they like to barter and your first day is just checking out what's up last day make the deals etc but again like I said different parts of Cuba probably act differently.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmd View Post
we fly out to cayo coco next Monday. We love cuba there's no time share people or people trying to sell you things the second you leave the resort.
What resort?

Fishing?
Snorkling/diving?

Old 03-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Banned

I wouldnt go back to cayo coco area. The mosquitos were ridiculously bad at night. Beaches were great, resort we stayed at was great but you cant escape the mosquitos at night.

The bug spray on the resort did not work at all and there is no where you can go to buy anything you forgot at home.

On the plus side the dolphon excursion in cayo coco was one of the best ever. They let us swim with the dolphins as long as we wanted...