Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 08:22 PM

Default Marijuana mood swing

We all have few friends that use Marijuana on a daily bases for enjoyment or medical use.

What people do at home or on there own time is their own business .

What I do not like is their mood swings when at work or in public.

They are great people when on it (normal).
And when they are not on it ,they are not.

They can not function or tolerate even some one even saying hi .

Is it just the hand full of people I know ? or is it most users ?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

Probably the peeps you are hanging with
Old 03-08-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
We all have few friends that use Marijuana on a daily bases for enjoyment or medical use.

I disagree... most people I know who use it, I had no idea they did, never really noticed a difference in their moods.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 PM

Fairly common is the "poor me" or "everyones out to get me" thing.

Good luck, wish you well, chronics are the worst.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:28 PM

Haha right from the title I knew exactly what you were talking about. I have experienced it with coworkers.
The first guy wasn’t too bad, but the mood swings would strike hard when they did. He would pull a prank and laugh with everyone, and then when the inevitable petty revenge hit him, he would freak the **** out. It happened multiple times but he always apologized later on. Must have been humiliating, at least it would be for me!
The second was a long term smoker. I feel like for him the mood swings came from unexpected tasks, changed plans, and things of that sort. I think it had to do with the nervousness of being roasted, but also he had prepared himself for the expected task.
These encounters were long term, on smaller jobs with crews between 2-6 typically.
I am sure that lots of people can handle it, but I agree with op that some people have that issue at work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
I disagree... most people I know who use it, I had no idea they did, never really noticed a difference in their moods.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
agreed
Old 03-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:

I'm guessing the people you are talking about are functional stoners. Kinda like functional drunks. People get irritable when they don't have their crutch. What's your point?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:22 PM
Banned

I worked with a guy who was exactly like this. A chronic every day user and couldn,t handle any job stress without a puff, making anyone working under him suffer. He was happy as could be on his meds though, all chatty and joking, but like Jekyl and Hyde when his buzz wore off.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:33 PM

I work and use to hang out with people like that.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:43 PM

Yes, heavy users of pot high in THC inhibit the natural release of dopamine. Now when they are on a break from the constant stimulus, the irritability sets in.

In more moderate use, you don't see the chemical dependency.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-09-2018, 04:40 AM

Sounds like some people when they don't have coffee in the morning too. I think all kinds of people can be wound up from anxiety or stress, from various different sources, some chemical, some natural, and we run into them all the time out in the world.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Yes, heavy users of pot high in THC inhibit the natural release of dopamine. Now when they are on a break from the constant stimulus, the irritability sets in.

In more moderate use, you don't see the chemical dependency.

Here's a good article explaining your point:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3405830/
Old 03-09-2018, 06:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Can say the samething about smokers, coffee drinkers etc....once addicted they are hard to be around without thier hourly fix....sad but true.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-09-2018, 07:57 AM

I guess thats probably why they call it dope!
Old 03-09-2018, 08:27 AM

That's an interesting perspective.

I myself think that perhaps it is because it provides a relief from the symptoms of what's causing the irritability, depression, PTSD, anxiety maybe even physical symptoms, pain etc. So they are in essence "medicated" and much more easy going. When the medication wears off, the edginess returns.

It's like the video online of the man with Parkinson's who has a dose and his shaking and symptoms subside. Remove the title and audio and someone watching may assume that he is actually having withdrawal shakes and needs another fix to "normalize".

Now I don't think it's the be all end all cure it has been made out to be but I definitely believe it is a better release than alcohol or other potentially destructive behaviors.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga View Post
That's an interesting perspective.

I myself think that perhaps it is because it provides a relief from the symptoms of what's causing the irritability, depression, PTSD, anxiety maybe even physical symptoms, pain etc. So they are in essence "medicated" and much more easy going. When the medication wears off, the edginess returns.

It's like the video online of the man with Parkinson's who has a dose and his shaking and symptoms subside. Remove the title and audio and someone watching may assume that he is actually having withdrawal shakes and needs another fix to "normalize".

Now I don't think it's the be all end all cure it has been made out to be but I definitely believe it is a better release than alcohol or other potentially destructive behaviors.
I was wondering about this too. Did you know these people before they smoked? Could it be that they are like this all the time and the weed just mellows those moods?

I don't smoke so I have no idea what its like to "come off" something like that...
Old 03-09-2018, 08:46 AM

I do NOT smoke either, but I have seen the mood swings of those that do, an it is real!
Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 AM

Take away an alcoholics booze that drinks everyday they can get grumpy just like heroin, meth or any kind of drug if someone's addicted. If somebody drinks responsibly there is no effect its the same with pot when used in moderation. Why does everybody think because someone smokes pot they are addicted and permanently buzzed?
Pot being a "gateway drug" was just propaganda brought to you by the same people that gave you reefer madness and gun control.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 AM

Perhaps they're just like that as a personality and the weed makes them better?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Banned

Sounds like tobacco smokers...20+++times a day!

Need a smoke break...again...otherwise i can't deal with life!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Pot being a "gateway drug" was just propaganda brought to you by the same people that gave you reefer madness and gun control.
Perhaps legalization will take away its status as a gateway drug? Had it never been prohibited far fewer people would have become habituated to dealing in black market trade. It is this habituation to becoming used to illegal drug deals that acts as a stepping stone to all manner of other drugs. Just like a convenience store, that drug dealer is going the try to make other sales by having other items available to tempt a person.

On a related note, once it’s legal will there be licensed delivery trucks that also happen to be mobile pizza shops with a good inventory of Dorito’s, etc?
Old 03-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Perhaps legalization will take away its status as a gateway drug? Had it never been prohibited far fewer people would have become habituated to dealing in black market trade. It is this habituation to becoming used to illegal drug deals that acts as a stepping stone to all manner of other drugs. Just like a convenience store, that drug dealer is going the try to make other sales by having other items available to tempt a person.

On a related note, once it’s legal will there be licensed delivery trucks that also happen to be mobile pizza shops with a good inventory of Dorito’s, etc?
This is a complete pile of manure. Got any thing to back it up.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
This is a complete pile of manure. Got any thing to back it up.
I’m not following you? Perhaps you’ve not comprehended what I was getting at because it’s logical as all hell. I’ll run through it for you.

When MJ is illegal people buy it from drug dealers. When people are used to illegal transactions and are thus connected with the illegal drug trade they are more inclined to be buying & trying other illegal drugs than someone who isn't. Pretty simple. Hard to be buying the hard stuff if you don’t know where to go or the secret code words. If I went to try to buy drugs people would be sure I’m a cop or someone setting them up because I would not have the haziest idea of what to ask for in slang, it would basically be me saying loudly and clearly “Hello, do you have any cocaine or marijuana for sale good sir?!” People would either run me off or stab me.

Make MJ legal and as time goes on people will not be so used to illegal transactions, hence they’ll be less likely to buy some extacy, fentanyl or whatever because they won’t be interacting with the illegal drug dealer when they could get government certified product at any number of retail storefronts.

This reason and the tax windfall are why I back legalization, not because I like weed. I think a blow to the illegal drug trade/organized crime will benefit us all. It may even benefit firearms advocates because with a shrunken drug trade perhaps we’ll get fewer crime related murders committed with firearms? Then again maybe it will make competition fierce for their shrunken market of other drugs and they’ll be shooting each other just as much, if not more.. That result is difficult to predict, but in the end it will still mean tax dollars doing more things and less cash in criminal hands so the net gain will be positive.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-09-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I think you've hit on a marketing opportunity, Caber!

Maybe convert one of your plumbing vans into a munchiewagon?
Old 03-09-2018, 11:26 AM

For all these co-worker etc that become intolerable when their buzz wears off, why do you stand for it? These people should be held accountable for their emotions/ actions. I don’t care what your profession is, act professional or be held accountable.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:32 AM

Yup.

I can attest to the bad mood swings. Seen it lots with an old co worker , thank God he got transferred. Hailed out
Old 03-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
When MJ is illegal people buy it from drug dealers. When people are used to illegal transactions and are thus connected with the illegal drug trade they are more inclined to be buying & trying other illegal drugs than someone who isn't. Pretty simple. Hard to be buying the hard stuff if you don’t know where to go or the secret code words. If I went to try to buy drugs people would be sure I’m a cop or someone setting them up because I would not have the haziest idea of what to ask for in slang, it would basically be me saying loudly and clearly “Hello, do you have any cocaine or marijuana for sale good sir?!” People would either run me off or stab me.
I think you're watching too many bad cop shows but it reminds me of a hilarious situation I saw about 20 some years ago.

I was at a friends house one evening, a bunch of us had gathered around the fire for some beers and such, chilling out. Unexpectedly the guy's father shows up and joins us, you could see he's pretty nervous about something and sure enough after a while he makes his move. Turns out his girlfriend has been struggling with MS for a while and she's been recommend to try a cannabis for pain relief so he wanted to ask if maybe one of us knows some unsavory underworld type character that could hook him up. There's a long, pregnant type of pause and then 8 of the 10 or so gathered reach in their pockets at the same time and toss a baggie at him. I came back from taking a wizz to find a very surprised 50 year old dentist with about an ounce of weed in his hand and his jaw on the floor. It was REALLY funny.

I bet if you went looking today by asking some discrete questions amongst your friends it would take about an hour before somebody sorted you out. You would not find that same thing if you went looking for something like cocaine. It's been a long time since i bought anything on the black market but there has always been a distinction between a weed guy and a "drug" dealer IME.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I’m not following you? Perhaps you’ve not comprehended what I was getting at because it’s logical as all hell. I’ll run through it for you.

Make MJ legal and as time goes on people will not be so used to illegal transactions, hence they’ll be less likely to buy some extacy, fentanyl or whatever because they won’t be interacting with the illegal drug dealer when they could get government certified product at any number of retail storefronts.

This reason and the tax windfall are why I back legalization, not because I like weed. I think a blow to the illegal drug trade/organized crime will benefit us all. It may even benefit firearms advocates because with a shrunken drug trade perhaps we’ll get fewer crime related murders committed with firearms? Then again maybe it will make competition fierce for their shrunken market of other drugs and they’ll be shooting each other just as much, if not more.. That result is difficult to predict, but in the end it will still mean tax dollars doing more things and less cash in criminal hands so the net gain will be positive.
Oh I followed you. I assure you no one is going to their ddrug dealer looking for pot and then saying you know maybe I'll take a bit of heroine while I'm here. Most people are introduced to various drugs through the people they already know. The dealer doesn't enter the picture til later. Not only that but most guys slinging weed are doing just that and not much else.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:34 PM

I wouldn't argue that someone may be irritable if not high but I think there is another variable to consider in this discussion...What would that specific person be like normally if they never smoked or drank? Perhaps irritable anyways. Many people self medicate with drugs and alcohol due to things like chronic depression, chemical imbalances and many other mental and physical conditions. Perhaps one is taking weed for pain and when not high is in considerable pain and irritable as a result. Making generalized statements suggesting simple weed withdrawal of pot heads is the cause of all the less than desirable traits may be somewhat misleading.

Someone quoted the article about dopamine. Wouldn't argue that point but I would add weed may also be used by some to mimic the "happy" affects because they are naturally low in producing dopamine. And if no weed then low dopamine = "not happy". Lots to consider beyond simple bad moods and cause/effect.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I think you're watching too many bad cop shows but it reminds me of a hilarious situation I saw about 20 some years ago.

I was at a friends house one evening, a bunch of us had gathered around the fire for some beers and such, chilling out. Unexpectedly the guy's father shows up and joins us, you could see he's pretty nervous about something and sure enough after a while he makes his move. Turns out his girlfriend has been struggling with MS for a while and she's been recommend to try a cannabis for pain relief so he wanted to ask if maybe one of us knows some unsavory underworld type character that could hook him up. There's a long, pregnant type of pause and then 8 of the 10 or so gathered reach in their pockets at the same time and toss a baggie at him. I came back from taking a wizz to find a very surprised 50 year old dentist with about an ounce of weed in his hand and his jaw on the floor. It was REALLY funny.

I bet if you went looking today by asking some discrete questions amongst your friends it would take about an hour before somebody sorted you out. You would not find that same thing if you went looking for something like cocaine. It's been a long time since i bought anything on the black market but there has always been a distinction between a weed guy and a "drug" dealer IME.
Dude, I could get hooked up by my own father or half of my old roomies. Doesn't mean I know the workings of the drug trade.