Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2017, 10:30 PM

Default Nissan Xterra experiences

I would like to hear from anyone with personal experience in owning an Xterra of earlier vintage (2000-2004). We need a larger, off-road capable SUV in the family and I’m leaning in this direction based on some criteria such as value, safety rating (and ABS brakes), real 4x4, cargo area, overall length, etc. Reliability, fuel consumption, on and off-road characteristics, strength and weaknesses are focal points for what I would like to hear about. I appreciate your time and info.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:33 PM

Recently purchased a 2002 Xterra supercharged, so far it has treated me very well, I've had it off road a few times now, and proven that it is definately a aggressive off road vehicle, fuel consumption is on the higher side, but this is to be expected! The narrow wheel base, and turning radius allows this vehicle to park in parking lots very easy, they are also known to last a very long time. The 3.3l engine that it has equipped is tried tested, and proven. family member of mine purchased my 2000 pathfinder off of me many years ago, and still runs strong at 340k, if you are looking for a family vehicle, that transports you, the wife, and kids, while at the same time doing moderate, off roading, I would definately recommend you look at a pathfinder in the same age range as well!
You can't go wrong with either, but you may find the pathfinder more spacious, in event you go with the non supercharged xterra, you will find that what it lags in power will make up for off-road. Remember buyer beware, in the 05-11 version of this vehicle.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
I would like to hear from anyone with personal experience in owning an Xterra of earlier vintage (2000-2004). We need a larger, off-road capable SUV in the family and I’m leaning in this direction based on some criteria such as value, safety rating (and ABS brakes), real 4x4, cargo area, overall length, etc. Reliability, fuel consumption, on and off-road characteristics, strength and weaknesses are focal points for what I would like to hear about. I appreciate your time and info.
Drove a 2001 to 300,000 kms. Reliable enough but they have probably the worst gas mileage you can get in a vehicle due to their weight. Mind you most Nissan's are famous for their mileage.

Rusting can be an issue. 4 wheel drive system is inconvenient. Top heavy vehicles that will never be considered aerodynamic and you won't go around any corners quickly. That said they are good to pound around in heavy off roading conditions.

FWIW I'd spend more money and buy a decent used 4 runner, Tacoma, or Pathfinder. All have actual truck frames I believe.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:46 AM

I had an '05. It used as much fuel as my full size F150 but had plenty of power. It was pretty reliable until the Pink milkshake of death hit my transmission (google it) at 173k. After paying $6400 for a new transmission, I'll never buy another Nissan.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:05 AM

I have an 04 (not supercharged). Known issues with the early models are cracked exhaust manifold, leaf springs that crack and the mentioned fuel economy that unfortunately doesn’t come with tons of power. Mine is a standard with 15 inch rims. Tires are getting harder to find for that size. Otherwise, the suv has been great. Capable in the bush and snow. With chains on the rear it is unstoppable. Much of the maintenance is user friendly if you are inclined to do so. In my opinion it is the poor mans toyota. You are not paying for the name but getting a great suv on a pickup platform. Had the rear seats down and all my gear plus a WT in the back on the weekend. The kids also like the rear stadium seating.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:39 AM

I am on my second Xterra after passing my 03 (SE Auto) onto my Daughter in 2012 and buying new. The 03 is still running strong and hasn't had any issues at all, other than usual maintenance.

The 2012, I bought new. It's a Pro4x with 6spd. It's been awesome, and I've put 175,000 km on it so far. I had to replace the clutch this year, but that's all so far. It's never left me stranded. I can't say the same for the 4runner I had before I switched to the Xterra. That 4Runner was the biggest POS I ever owned (obviously the only bad one Toyota ever made though, if you talk to Toyota folk).

The Xterra is the last of the true utility vehicles in my opinion. Mine is set up as a 2-seater permanently. I live in the Country and use it like a Utility vehicle. It works in the field, it hauls stuff, and it takes me on adventures.

Up to 2010 or so there were issues with the automatics, but that's been resolved. Even pre-2010 there was a fairly simple cheap bypass for the radiator to fix the tranny issue.

I'm really hopeful they start making it again, as I can't imagine driving anything else.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:15 AM

Still own a 2000 Xterra and had 2000 Frontier blow an engine last year. Frontier is same as Xterra up to the B pillar. Frontier was off-roaded, a lot. dependable till the end.

Concern areas are:
2000 had a problem with breaking right rear aux leaf spring. 2001+ was ok. Easy replacement.
Exhaust manifolds will be cracked and make a little noise on start up. No biggie.
Engine knock sensor will be broken. No biggie.

Automatic hubs should be replaced with manuals.
Stock radiator transmission cooler should be bypassed with an external unit
Do not lift the front suspension more than an 1 inch by cranking the torsion bars. If you do, be prepared to replace steering components.
Will need skidplates if off-roaded heavily.
Using aftermarket rims will make your tires rub.
Blower resistor has been known to go, cheap fix.
Dash may freeze, cheap fix.

If you need more info, PM me.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:54 PM

Solid info so far. Thanks so much. My understanding is the supercharged engine needs premium fuel. Is that correct?

Is the rad leakage to tranny issue a sneaky problem with damage over time, or does it cause a catastrophic event that can be avoided with the bypass, if it hasn’t happened yet?
Old 11-08-2017, 01:35 PM

Supercharged does need premium fuel.

Rad leakage was a problem with the 2nd gen Xterra from 2005 to 2010 or so.

2000-2004 didn't have that problem. On these the rad tranny cooler would plug up and that's why most people would install an external cooler and bypass stock rad cooler.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Solid info so far. Thanks so much. My understanding is the supercharged engine needs premium fuel. Is that correct?

Is the rad leakage to tranny issue a sneaky problem with damage over time, or does it cause a catastrophic event that can be avoided with the bypass, if it hasn’t happened yet?
First gen Xterra doesn’t suffer the strawberry milkshake of death, and my 2000 3.3l non supercharged Pathfinder also recommended premium gasoline! There were a handful of times were I Had no access to premium, and I did not notice any difference, and the person driving that pathfinder today, only runs regular!
Old 11-08-2017, 05:05 PM

We have an 03 Xrerra. 3.3L with auto tranny. It was used as a family vehicle. With me taking it hunting sometimes. It’s got 240,000km on it now, never did anything to it except a set of brakes and tires. It’s not very good on fuel. And doesn’t have much power. But it’s got enough to pull a good size boat if you don’t mind slowing down up hills.

We’ve had ours parked for a few years now, my wife drives a van now and I’ve got a half ton. Been hanging onto it in case the van breaks down while I’m working away from home. But have been thinking of selling lately. Not even sure what it’s worth. No rust and body is perfectly straight.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:20 PM

'03 SE, non-supercharged owner here. Bought it used in 2005 with 62K km on it, currently has +370K on it with only oil changes, tire changes and a timing belt change since 2005 (timing belt in 2010, stopped at a traffic light)

Fuel mileage is worse than my old '95 Jeep, but not by much. Jeep had 4-banger, xterra has the V6. A little more power than the Jeep, and while having an automatic transmission, the xterra does 4x4ing sufficiently enough to get you most places, even places where you sometimes shouldn't be (almost wound up on my lid a couple weeks ago)

While I'm looking to replace it with another Jeep, I'm OK if I have to drive it until I find the deal I'm looking for on a Jeep. I have no issues that the xterra will survive another winter.

Like any vehicle, a light foot on the go-go pedal and regular oil changes will make them last forever. But I would think that if you drive it like it's rented, the lifespan may be limited....

J.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:36 AM

I had an '02 for 12 years before I traded for a 2014 Pro4X. The 2002 was one of the best vehicles I've owned, a reliable outdoor SUV that handled just about anything. The 2014 is just as good with a few more bells and whistles. Yes, they are gas hogs but I did not buy them for their mileage. I'm disappointed Nissan is not making them anymore, but I will keep my 2014 for a long while.