Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Ah see that's the rub it's not the truth. We as a community are working together with the police. As opposed to whining about it online. Sad but it seems like that's all the effort many care to put into it.

Edit. For what's it worth I said hampered not can't. There's been great strides in our area.
LOL!

Old 11-08-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I think we all agree that the guy in the video is a hero. Check. We disagree how to stop things like this happening in the future. Check. We disagree how to reduce, prevent and stop crime in rural Alberta. Lets keep the dialog reasonable. We all are outdoorsman who love to hunt shoot and fish. Check.

My opinion; I think both Canada and the USA could learn a bit from each other about gun control. Our PAL system is pretty good. We take a course on how to safely own and operate firearms. That is a good thing. We are subjected to a fairly rigorous background check and that should in theory keep guns out of the hands of bad or mentally ill people. Our PAL lets us own and use and transport our firearms anywhere in our entire nation that is a good thing. (Americans cannot do so with there permits) So we win on this.
I can take my deer rifle or bird gun to any state without a PAL so I don’t see how you win anything?? Once in a while something like a handgun or at might not fly in certain states but those would be restricted which can you really just take all over Canada with only your PAL?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Why bother here lol
Thought it might distract Raambo. The discussion is going nowhere anyways.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:03 PM
Banned

Default Hey

Wait a minute .. do we want a community where a resident can come out of his house with a AR15 start a gun fight and then get another civilian to pursue ? We have police for a reason or maybe every house gets a free AR15and we get rid of police ... it was a great ending . but no thanks to that kind policing by my neighbor ..
Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt-44 View Post
Wait a minute .. do we want a community where a resident can come out of his house with a AR15 start a gun fight and then get another civilian to pursue ? We have police for a reason or maybe every house gets a free AR15and we get rid of police ... it was a great ending . but no thanks to that kind policing by my neighbor ..
0bviously the police did not prevent the shooting in the church, and they didn't apprehend the suspect either, so depending on the police didn't work out well for anyone involved.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
0bviously the police did not prevent the shooting in the church, and they didn't apprehend the suspect either, so depending on the police didn't work out well for anyone involved.
I agree . but neither did he , right ... Do you want your neighbor shooting and chasing a suspect with an AR15 ? and another resident/civillan driving . be real
Old 11-08-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I agree . but neither did he , right ... Do you want your neighbor shooting and chasing a suspect with an AR15 ? and another resident/civillan driving . be real
If the police aren't around, and the alternative is to let the shooter remain free to kill others, absolutely! Would you have preferred that they just allow the shooter to escape, so he might shoot even more people?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
If the police aren't around, and the alternative is to let the shooter remain free to kill others, absolutely! Would you have preferred that they just allow the shooter to escape, so he might shoot even more people?
YOU are wrong .. if the police aren't around , the average Joe can bring out a assault rifle and start blasting . The old man was not police and not trained in way , shape or form. Did he luck out , so far , yes . But this kind of law is not safe . So are you saying you trust your neighbor with an AR15 any day the week and in any event for him to use it ? answer this
Old 11-08-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
YOU are wrong .. if the police aren't around , the average Joe can bring out a assault rifle and start blasting . The old man was not police and not trained in way , shape or form. Did he luck out , so far , yes . But this kind of law is not safe . So are you saying you trust your neighbor with an AR15 any day the week and in any event for him to use it ? answer this
Personally, Yes! With the police 10-15 minutes away and the suspect continuing to shoot or trying to get away and do who knows what else I would, not only trust, but want my neighbour to try and stop him by any means necessary. If he/she has access to an Ar-15 or any type of rifle then more power to them!
Old 11-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Think there was a report the shooter fired over 400 rounds in a matter of minutes ... and nobody has mentioned magazine capacity limits?
Lol. Ok - what is a standard capacity magazine?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
Personally, Yes! With the police 10-15 minutes away and the suspect continuing to shoot or trying to get away and do who knows what else I would, not only trust, but want my neighbour to try and stop him by any means necessary. If he/she has access to an Ar-15 or any type of rifle then more power to them!
this is just crazy and will never happen. no wonder we have laws. also glad you not my neighbor .. where do you people come from
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes. In this case you are wrong. The average civilian has a lot more vested interest in the neighborhood than the local RCMP officer. Id rather the people who were born and raised around me fight against criminals than some individual who is just in it for the pension.

YOU are the one who is wrong.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Yes. In this case you are wrong. The average civilian has a lot more vested interest in the neighborhood than the local RCMP officer. Id rather the people who were born and raised around me fight against criminals than some individual who is just in it for the pension.

Yep, a lot different when one of these idiots pulls a gun on a family member or good friend.

As for the gun control advocates. I think its important that you watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOlxAFm25lg&t=10s
Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
No the average person can't bring out an assault rifle, because the average person does not own an assault rifle because they are strictly controlled. And if you think that an AR-15 is an assault rifle, it demonstrates just how little you know about firearms. The AR-15 is just another semi auto rifle , and is only restricted because the people that classify firearms n Canada classify firearms based on appearance, rather than on function. The AR-15 is no more of a risk to public safety than a mini 14, which is not restricted. As far as my neighbors go, if I trust them with a mini 14, what is different about trusting them with an AR-15?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-08-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

geez ..so you want your neighbors shooting out the house windows .. gwad you die hards . so moocho ...lol
Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:

so answer my question .. Newview .. do you trust your neighbor with a AR15 to carry out the law in your house and community .. let's have all community/resident policing and get rid of the RCMP and PB .
Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
geez ..so you want your neighbors shooting out the house windows .. gwad you die hards . so moocho ...lol
It's Macho.

And we open windows before firing. Well I would.

tough bein a die hard....
Old 11-08-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
this is just crazy and will never happen. no wonder we have laws. also glad you not my neighbor .. where do you people come from
I am a great neighbor. Keep a nice yard, do all my maintenance, invite you for bbqs, and most importantly respect boundaries. If you would truly rather wait for the police to come as a nut job is shooting at you and yours then I will not interfere. But the second he makes a move towards me, any one I care about or tries to get away I will do anything in my power to stop him. And even though we clearly disagree, if someone is shooting at me or my family I hope you would try to stop them. Personally, I would rather buy a new window then flowers for a funeral.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:21 PM

Here is a decent article.

http://www.theblaze.com/contribution...fend-yourself/
Canadian Shooting Sports Association Member Life Member
Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
I am a great neighbor. Keep a nice yard, do all my maintenance, invite you for bbqs, and most importantly respect boundaries. If you would truly rather wait for the police to come as a nut job is shooting at you and yours then I will not interfere. But the second he makes a move towards me, any one I care about or tries to get away I will do anything in my power to stop him. And even though we clearly disagree, if someone is shooting at me or my family I hope you would try to stop them. Personally, I would rather buy a new window then flowers for a funeral.
I agree with you 100 % .. the diff here is the buddy next door pretty much started a gun battle on the street and then got another person to pursue at 95 mph . What were the intentions... defend yes . pursue NO . This is American all the way .
Old 11-08-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I agree with you 100 % .. the diff here is the buddy next door pretty much started a gun battle on the street and then got another person to pursue at 95 mph . What were the intentions... defend yes . pursue NO . This is American all the way .
And what were the results?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
And what were the results?
OK elkhunter.
enuf , around the bush play here .
Do you want and believe we should have self policing by arming ever home with AR15 or any type of guns to defend ourselves and property and ignore police ?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
OK elkhunter.
Do you want and believe we should have self policing by arming ever home with AR15 or any type of guns to defend ourselves and property and ignore police ?
I believe that if the police are not around to protect us and our property, we should be able to defend our home and our property with any firearm that we are allowed to own.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
OK elkhunter.
I believe we should start this war by arming the garmmr police.

But in all seriousness, I can’t take anything you said seriously. The more armed a populace is, the less we will need to worry about crime.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
I believe that if the police are not around to protect us and our property, we should be able to defend our home and our property with any firearm that we are allowed to own.
Kinda of a slippery answer , LOL
DO you believe the suggestion of your neighbor having a AR15 and using it ?
Actually Elkhunter . no need to reply , we all know your real position on this .
Old 11-08-2017, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Kinda of a slippery answer , LOL
DO you believe the suggestion of your neighbor having a AR15 and using it ?
Actually Elkhunter . no need to reply , we all know your real position on this .
Why is it a slippery answer?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
I believe we should start this war by arming the garmmr police.

But in all seriousness, I can’t take anything you said seriously. The more armed a populace is, the less we will need to worry about crime.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:19 PM

Thumbs up

I especially like the following quote from that article:

"I quickly learned in both the academy and my rookie field training that the cops probably won’t get there in time. In fact, a 911 call by definition is reactive to either a crime in progress or past crime. A victim is being, or has been created."

Now then, the very government that Colt wants to protect everyone failed miserably. The shooter, was dishonorably discharged from the air force through a bad conduct discharge for assaulting his then wife and young son. Some bureaucrat couldn't be bothered to file the paperwork that in all likelihood would have helped this scum not get his hands on a gun.

But Colt is all upset, that an NRA shooting instructor got his own rifle out of his gun vault and engaged the shooter who was wearing body armour, wounded said shooter who then fled the scene, and found another concerned citizen who then followed the mass killer until said killer crashed his vehicle and then killed himself. All in all, as good an ending a could be expected in a horrendous situation.

I'll take the NRA shooting instructor for a neighbor anytime over Colt.
Canadian Shooting Sports Association Member Life Member
Old 11-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pale_Rider View Post
I especially like the following quote from that article:

"I quickly learned in both the academy and my rookie field training that the cops probably won’t get there in time. In fact, a 911 call by definition is reactive to either a crime in progress or past crime. A victim is being, or has been created."

Now then, the very government that Colt wants to protect everyone failed miserably. The shooter, was dishonorably discharged from the air force through a bad conduct discharge for assaulting his then wife and young son. Some bureaucrat couldn't be bothered to file the paperwork that in all likelihood would have helped this scum not get his hands on a gun.

But Colt is all upset, that an NRA shooting instructor got his own rifle out of his gun vault and engaged the shooter who was wearing body armour, wounded said shooter who then fled the scene, and found another concerned citizen who then followed the mass killer until said killer crashed his vehicle and then killed himself. All in all, as good an ending a could be expected in a horrendous situation.

I'll take the NRA shooting instructor for a neighbor anytime over Colt.
very NICE and well written ..but the short answer is , I AM YOUR neighbor ...lol ...
Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
OK elkhunter.
Why do we have to ignore the police? Having a gun in every home in Switzerland did great things for the crime rate and prevented the Nazi invasion in WW2.