Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 11:23 AM

From what I see, If this happened in Canada, the hero would be brought up on charges of reckless driving at 150km per hour and endangering the public as a private citizen.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Especially when the shooter is leaving the area.
It will be especially hard to prove that you are scared for your life when you are on a high-speed pursuit chasing the perp. Lol. Come one man, sounds like something raab would say.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
It will be especially hard to prove that you are scared for your life when you are on a high-speed pursuit chasing the perp. Lol. Come one man, sounds like something raab would say.
Especially if your repeatedly saying "nana nana nana Batmaaan" while your behind the wheel
Old 11-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Leads me to believe that maybe the laws and regulations aren't doing enough to stop the problems they're having down there then? Might have to look at other solutions?

I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that you don't think there is a problem with gun violence in the US?
Ok, the current laws are not doing enough to prevent people being murdered. Taking into consideration the fact that the murderer is already flouting the law by murdering, select one of the following
a) additional laws will do more to stop him/her
b) dramatic consequences will do more to stop him/her i.e. death penalty

There is obviously a problem. But it should be called "people violence" not "gun violence". It is a societal problem, not a gun problem.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
From what I see, If this happened in Canada, the hero would be brought up on charges of reckless driving at 150km per hour and endangering the public as a private citizen.
He would be, no doubt. And he would be endangering other citizens driving 150 km/h.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Your post supports my statement, there is no way that he could expect a jury to believe that he was fearing for his life, which is why he would have no defense, and would be charged under our laws. As I have maintained, under Canadian law, he would be seen as a criminal, rather than as a hero.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Your post supports my statement, there is no way that he could expect a jury to believe that he was fearing for his life, which is why he would have no defense, and would be charged under our laws. As I have maintained, under Canadian law, he would be seen as a criminal, rather than as a hero.
Check and Mate...

On a side note, for those of you in favor of more gun control. Why do you think mass shooters target firearm free zones most of the time? Churches, Concerts, Bars, Universities, Schools, etc... Maybe its because like most criminals these mass shooters go after the easy targets.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
In Canada its illegal to use a firearm in defense, period. If you use one you'll be going to court and spending your life savings trying to prove your innocence.
you are right about that
Old 11-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
In Canada its illegal to use a firearm in defense, period. If you use one you'll be going to court and spending your life savings trying to prove your innocence.
And yet if somebody comes into my house at night intending to do my family harm.......I will take the jail time rather than live with the fact that I could have stopped some scum from raping my wife and 11 year old grand daughter but chose not to.
RAAB, you are free to stay out of jail if you can stand to live with yourself after. I for one could not.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
In the Texas case they wouldn't need to prove anything, the shooter shot himself. They were following and giving directions to the police. Happens often in rural areas.

Granted it's not generally following a shootout.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Its not living in fear its being proactive and prepared. It is pretty obvious that the RCMP have no interest in helping rural Alberta, so if rural people do nothing they are leaving themselves wide open to possible physical harm.

Although I don't want anyone stealing a jug of my gas or a drill etc., I and most others have no attention of shooting someone because of it. What we are concerned about are the growing number of thieves that are armed and breaking into houses, and stopping vehicles on the road at least those are my biggest concerns.

Living in the city it is hard to really have any appreciation for rural crime. For you police, medical help, fire fighting, even neighbors are only a few minutes away, much different in rural areas. Living that close to all this "help" gives you a sense of security not realized in the country.
You said you are talking to locals and might organize something, have you met with the RCMP? They are very interested in our area in stopping rural crime. They are hampered with staffing issues and the amount of area they have to patrol though.
Not an easy job.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
In the Texas case they wouldn't need to prove anything, the shooter shot himself. They were following and giving directions to the police. Happens often in rural areas.

Granted it's not generally following a shootout.
So are you saying the plumber didn't shoot the murderer?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Ok, the current laws are not doing enough to prevent people being murdered. Taking into consideration the fact that the murderer is already flouting the law by murdering, select one of the following
a) additional laws will do more to stop him/her
b) dramatic consequences will do more to stop him/her i.e. death penalty

There is obviously a problem. But it should be called "people violence" not "gun violence". It is a societal problem, not a gun problem.
So your problem is the language used and not the fact that so many people get shot in mass shootings down there?

If I was in charge, I'd be all for harsh punishments, make it scary to break the law. In all aspects of the legal system. I think that would do more than anything to decrease crime across NA than anything.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
So are you saying the plumber didn't shoot the murderer?
Not after the chase, he shot him twice before it started though.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
you are right about that
I know people who can tell you different, statement with the cops and that's as far as it went.

Circumstances matter. You are most certainly allowed to defend yourself and your family. It's pretty simple.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
So your problem is the language used and not the fact that so many people get shot in mass shootings down there?

If I was in charge, I'd be all for harsh punishments, make it scary to break the law. In all aspects of the legal system. I think that would do more than anything to decrease crime across NA than anything.
The language used is not addressing the problem. When people say gun violence, the gun becomes the issue. That is not the case. The issue is societal and moral decay have brought us to where we are. Claiming a new law restricting guns is going to solve the problem shows a lack of understanding. Were swords ever seen as a problem when barbarians roamed Europe?

We agree on a lack of proper punishment.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know people who can tell you different, statement with the cops and that's as far as it went.

Circumstances matter. You are most certainly allowed to defend yourself and your family. It's pretty simple.
Yes, you are allowed to defend yourself and your family with reasonable force. Good luck if you shoot an unarmed intruder.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:

oh I most certainly will defend my self and family at any cost
Old 11-08-2017, 01:36 PM

Ugh! Everyone knows self defense is allowed in the constitution here, but specifically disallowed in the gun laws. Everyone also knows there is ample case law and culture here among law enforcement and the legal system that frowns greatly on self-defense (to put it mildly) and has done great harm to Canadians exercising their self-defense.

Happily there are also instances here of good citizens not having their life savings taken up by BS charges, or not charged with unsafe storage or denigrated by the media, when all they did was protect themselves. Overall it's a system that works, given the low-crime culture in Canada and with an exception of rural areas, where it obviously doesn't work very well. IMHO.

Interesting to hear about those town hall meetings, Fitzy. I hope something good comes of that.

I wish there were forum timeouts or warnings for the unnecessary personal attacks and flaming. That brings the quality of discussion on this forum way down!
Old 11-08-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
And yet if somebody comes into my house at night intending to do my family harm.......I will take the jail time rather than live with the fact that I could have stopped some scum from raping my wife and 11 year old grand daughter but chose not to.
RAAB, you are free to stay out of jail if you can stand to live with yourself after. I for one could not.
I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing you would. Im saying lets make it legal, so you dont have to do jail time for standing up to criminals.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
You said you are talking to locals and might organize something, have you met with the RCMP? They are very interested in our area in stopping rural crime. They are hampered with staffing issues and the amount of area they have to patrol though.
Not an easy job.
I have not talked to locals about organizing something, as I can not participate myself. We have had the RCMP out which was a complete waste of time. They appeared somewhat concerned but all he kept talking about was what we should be doing. Motion lights, cameras, lock everything, all good ideas but most everybody is already doing those things.

I asked what they were doing and how many night patrols there were, not specific days or time just generally. There were none as they don't have a shift past 6:00PM just somebody on call.

Earlier the officer has told us that most thefts happened between 12-5am.
When I asked him how they were going to catch anyone or even deter them when no one was working at the peak crime time. I to got something about staffing, not safe with one officer, blah blah.......like I mentioned before they are completely useless with regard to rural crime. We are on our own.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Think there was a report the shooter fired over 400 rounds in a matter of minutes ... and nobody has mentioned magazine capacity limits?
Old 11-08-2017, 02:46 PM

Texas church shooter Devin Kelley fired at least 450 rounds

Investigators collected hundreds of shell casings from the scene, along with at least 15 empty magazines that held 30 rounds each.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3846016/t...nimal-cruelty/
Old 11-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not an easy job.
They are very interested in stopping rural crime but can't as you say. So they are useless then.

Nice to hear they are interested though
Old 11-08-2017, 04:59 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
And internet forums....
Yup.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-08-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I have not talked to locals about organizing something, as I can not participate myself. We have had the RCMP out which was a complete waste of time. They appeared somewhat concerned but all he kept talking about was what we should be doing. Motion lights, cameras, lock everything, all good ideas but most everybody is already doing those things.

I asked what they were doing and how many night patrols there were, not specific days or time just generally. There were none as they don't have a shift past 6:00PM just somebody on call.

Earlier the officer has told us that most thefts happened between 12-5am.
When I asked him how they were going to catch anyone or even deter them when no one was working at the peak crime time. I to got something about staffing, not safe with one officer, blah blah.......like I mentioned before they are completely useless with regard to rural crime. We are on our own.
Sorry bobalong I quoted the wrong person by accident. Fat fingers on a cellphone I guess.

So with one officer on duty what should they do?

I would recommend speaking to as many superiors and elected reps as you can.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
They are very interested in stopping rural crime but can't as you say. So they are useless then.

Nice to hear they are interested though

So give up and go home then. Great attitude.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
So give up and go home then. Great attitude.
Sorry if the truth hurts.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Think there was a report the shooter fired over 400 rounds in a matter of minutes ... and nobody has mentioned magazine capacity limits?
Why bother here lol
Old 11-08-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Sorry if the truth hurts.
Ah see that's the rub it's not the truth. We as a community are working together with the police. As opposed to whining about it online. Sad but it seems like that's all the effort many care to put into it.

Edit. For what's it worth I said hampered not can't. There's been great strides in our area.