Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2017, 09:39 PM

Default Rincon heated grip install

Well today after work I decided to buy and install some new grip on the quad. I got everything installed and got ready to tie in the electrical. I read over a couple Forums about what guys had done in the past and decided to go with the pink wire off the ignition. After splicing into the wires I bolted to battery back up and turned the ignition on, now here is my issue I have no power to the heated grip controls. Everything else works as normal and starts up but I got no power to the unit itself. I’m not electrical genious and I’m stumped.

Should I try and tie into a different wire that is hot all the time or did I mess up somewhere? Or would the accessory plug on the side be better to tie into?

Picture of the wires and how I connected them

[/URL]

Last edited by carlson; 11-06-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:16 PM

Get a multi meter and check for 12v on ignition set to on. If you’re in Calgary I can help.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:19 PM

Default Scotch locks

More than likely one didn't pierce the insulation. Damn I hate those things....
Old 11-06-2017, 10:45 PM

Wire Taps or whatever you want to call them are notorious for problems with contact and corrosion later on. Something with a dis similar metal makes corrosion grow sooner or later, especially when they get wet.

If you could take it off and scrape some insulation off without breaking the wire, and then test with ignition on for switched power, that is what you are looking for.

I hate that the gauge is so light on the switched power, and almost think that going with a trigger wire off of the switched power of a relay back to the battery is the better approach, but no kit for heated grips is set up that way. However, you would be able to run a bigger wire for the grips and better voltage to the grips.

Anyways, you could solder a connection and use a shrink tube to seal the wire connection if you decide to peel back some insulation, if you should be so inclined.

Drewski
Old 11-06-2017, 11:03 PM

I tied mine to the accessory plug plus gives u more room to work with vs harness to steering wheel. Pretty tight in there. Prefer soldering vs using those plastic connectors with heat shrink tubing

Was the wire u tied into the pink /white? I tied my light bar into that one. My lightbar only comes in when I turn my head light high beams on
Old 11-07-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
I tied mine to the accessory plug plus gives u more room to work with vs harness to steering wheel. Pretty tight in there. Prefer soldering vs using those plastic connectors with heat shrink tubing

Was the wire u tied into the pink /white? I tied my light bar into that one. My lightbar only comes in when I turn my head light high beams on
The one I tied into was a light faded pink colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
Get a multi meter and check for 12v on ignition set to on. If you’re in Calgary I can help.
I don’t have one and thanks for the offer but I’m in Edmonton
Old 11-07-2017, 07:43 AM

I connected my heated grips to the accessory terminal as well. I stripped the wire and soldered the connection.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:12 PM

Got it firgured out tonight, had my ground wire mised up.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:21 PM

Goin to the accessory is good, key off no power.

Enjoy the warm hands , makes a big difference for sure.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:04 PM

Default Bad wiring

I grt paid great money to pull the quick connectors off and do it right. Even a monkey gets lucky once in a while blindly crimping connectors on different wires, well until you get two very wrong wires. Lol.
Tullfan