Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Banned

It's one thing to trespass, but to be armed while trespassing is another thing entirely, in these circumstance it should be a huge fine (5000$) and no hunting or fishing for 5 years, now that is a deterrent. We all know how lax the pal course is, so you could have a complete idiot, running around your property, I for one would treat armed trespassers as an immediate threat, the law should as well, this type of behavior is unacceptable, putting peoples lives at risk is not cool.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat01 View Post
Please don't let the bad apples ruin it for the good folks . We spotted some Moose on property we did not have permission to hunt . After 10 minutes of searching we located a phone number and called the landowner . I respectfully asked if he would allow a bull moose to be taken on his property. The first question he asked was "Are you respectful" . After a conversation he gave permission to harvest the Moose. Later the property owners Son in Law drove out to do a meet and greet with us . It was a very positive experience and one that is becoming a rarity in today's world. So yes a little respect for landowners goes a long way .
Last Saturday we saw two moose in a field that we didn't have permission for. We could see the name on a landowner map, but couldn't find a phone number. We went to the nearest house and asked if they knew how to contact the owner. The man thought that his neighbor had purchased or was renting the land, as he hadn't seen the person whose name was on the map in 30 years. Off we went to the other neighbor and knocked on the door. A lady answered, and told us that her father in law owned/rented the land, and he lived in the next house. Over to the next house we went, and knocked on the door. The gentleman informed us that he had been farming the land for many years, but the previous owners name was still listed on the maps. He gave us permission, and when we returned to the field, two moose we still at the edge of the bush where they were when we last saw them. It had been a bit of a run around, but because we did things the right way, we were able to legally harvest two moose off of the property.while we were goose hunting, I did the spotting and I always obtained permission for our group. I only had one person refuse permission, and one land owner I could not contact, as there was a company name on the map, and even the neighbor didn't have contact info. Since we didn't have permission, and the back up field was a no show the evening before the planned hunt, we didn't hunt geese the next morning. Sometimes things don't work out, but we have had very good success overall with getting permission.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-06-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Last Saturday we saw two moose in a field that we didn't have permission for. We could see the name on a landowner map, but couldn't find a phone number. We went to the nearest house and asked if they knew how to contact the owner. The man thought that his neighbor had purchased or was renting the land, as he hadn't seen the person whose name was on the map in 30 years. Off we went to the other neighbor and knocked on the door. A lady answered, and told us that her father in law owned/rented the land, and he lived in the next house. Over to the next house we went, and knocked on the door. The gentleman informed us that he had been farming the land for many years, but the previous owners name was still listed on the maps. He gave us permission, and when we returned to the field, two moose we still at the edge of the bush where they were when we last saw them. It had been a bit of a run around, but because we did things the right way, we were able to legally harvest two moose off of the property.while we were goose hunting, I did the spotting and I always obtained permission for our group. I only had one person refuse permission, and one land owner I could not contact, as there was a company name on the map, and even the neighbor didn't have contact info. Since we didn't have permission, and the back up field was a no show the evening before the planned hunt, we didn't hunt geese the next morning. Sometimes things don't work out, but we have had very good success overall with getting permission.
That's how it should be done, good on ya
Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Banned

I don't understand the mentality of these trespassers. They'll risk a fine or whatever damage could occur for a doe or small buck when chances are if they'd ask permission would be granted. I can't remember the last time I had permission denied. I've been told by landowners that once their tags are filled then I could go on their land.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
As a farmer that used to give permission to anyone that asked I fully understand the frustration of the problems landowners are facing today. It used to be that we had trouble with the out of town big city hunters. In recent years it is now the locals causing us the most grief. Today’s entitled hunting generation feels they have the right to go wherever, with whoever and whenever they want. It is hard to find these “trusting” hunters because I fully believe they do not exist anymore.
That's a pretty bleak outlook. You don't have to find them, eventually they will find you. An honest outdoorsman will come knocking on your door asking for permission rather than just trespassing. Once he earns your trust and you develope a relationship with him you have a great ally.....hold on to him. He'll make sure that any gates left open are closed, inform you of cut any wire and replace staples if he can, let you know about issues......a whole lot of FREE services. Not to blow my own horn but I am in pretty high demand around here.

I agree with you that a lot of times it's the locals that trespass, etc. They know who is who and are more comfortable in the area. I would say that about 4 out of 5 people that I have encountered on land without permission are actually relatives of the landowner.....lol.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Banned

I've never had problems getting permission.

One of my favorite "tricks" is to ask for permission on land that is posted. Invariably either I get permission, as the owner only wants to know the people who access that land, or often, if denied, my follow up question is, "Who do you know who would allow hunting on their land in this area". 50% of the time that followup question will give me access of the landowner who just denied permission, and most of the time I get some good leads out of it.

Being respectful goes a very long way.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:26 PM

Default A couple of my questions have been answered.

They are back, and now they have added an ATV and modified their M.O.
They now drive in the ditches with the ATV and use the vehicle's lights to look for deer in the nearby woods. The second change is that the ignore for the most part small clumps of trees near the road but drive in to the fields and circle the trees with their lights.

In addition to the WT tracks I saw some moose tracks to-day and the dogs put up 3 mule deer, no antlers.

My biggest concern is not the trespassing, I'm sure these guys are local and would get permission, it is the shooting at night and carrying loaded firearms in the truck.

I'm becoming concerned about the safety of my dogs and me. The authorities have asked me to call them next time I see them. That seems reasonable.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I can see that permission that used to be easy to get around here will not be so easy any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I could never follow the logic behind refusing access to a responsible individual because of lowlifes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The solution is to give hunting permission. If you have a couple of honest guys hunting your property people see that and avoid it like the plague....
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I've never had problems getting permission.
One of my favorite "tricks" is to ask for permission on land that is posted. Invariably either I get permission, as the owner only wants to know the people who access that land......

Even at my age, 65, I'm still thinking of buying a acreage well away from any cities I spent too much time in.

If it happens and anyone comes to me for permission, there'd be a few conditions:

He must stand still while I take his photo; he must show me 2 pieces of ID - driver's licence and vehicle registration which I will scan AND photocopy.
If there's others with him without vehicles, they must also agree to be photographed, and show me a driver's licence and a Medicare card from any province which I will also scan and copy. I'll give it all back right away of course.

If they agree, the answer will be Yes when its all done.

If there's even the slightest squawk, the answer will be No.

I like to think that would keep 'em honest, and hopefully appreciate the permission.

Waddaya think....?
Old 11-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Even at my age, 65, I'm still thinking of buying a acreage well away from any cities I spent too much time in.

If it happens and anyone comes to me for permission, there'd be a few conditions:

He must stand still while I take his photo; he must show me 2 pieces of ID - driver's licence and vehicle registration which I will scan AND photocopy.
If there's others with him without vehicles, they must also agree to be photographed, and show me a driver's licence and a Medicare card from any province which I will also scan and copy. I'll give it all back right away of course.

I like to think that would keep 'em honest, and hopefully appreciate the permission.

Waddaya think....?
The guys asking permission are the good guys. It's the 5 other *******s to every good guy that we have to deal with.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

Waddaya think....?
Sounds like there are better places to hunt than on someones land who is copying my personal ID. A face to face here's my license plate and phone number meet bad great works for many more land owners.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Banned

My neighbors ask me and I ask my neighbors every year. We always say to each other that there is no need to ask but I appreciate it as well as I suppose they o too.

I shouldn't say all guys that ask permission are good guys. Some are liars as well. One aspiring movie star come around for permission saying he wanted to teach his sister to elk hunt. Turns out they shot 1/2 a dozen or so elk.

Last edited by Norwest Alta; 11-06-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:03 PM

Hey Norwest and play, I'm not tryin to be a d*ick. This would all be new to me these days because it ain't the 70s anymore when there was still a certain amount of respect when it came to this sort of thing.

And I'm sure not thinking about "Identity Theft"!! I don't even know how to go about it!

I figure its like Utility workers - a honest guy would never hesitate to let you know who and what he is.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey Norwest and play, I'm not tryin to be a d*ick. This would all be new to me these days because it ain't the 70s anymore when there was still a certain amount of respect when it came to this sort of thing.

And I'm sure not thinking about "Identity Theft"!! I don't even know how to go about it!

I figure its like Utility workers - a honest guy would never hesitate to let you know who and what he is.
I realize you're not. Me personally couldn't be bothered with all that stuff. If your pants are pulled up , hat on straight and you don't look like something the cat coughed up your usually good to go. Don't generally appreciate the "hey by's" either. That's just me though. Lol

Best of luck on getting your acerage
Old 11-06-2017, 04:15 PM

Default Game act change

Is it possible to have Alberta Game Act changed to put the onus on the person trespassing to have in their possession a letter of approval from the landowner to hunt (and specify what species) on the property they are witnessed on..some of the monies collected from game tags would go to an enforcement body who would randomly pick an area and stop people on private land and lay charges with penalty fees for breaking the law..these fees would also fund the enforcement body.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I realize you're not. Me personally couldn't be bothered with all that stuff. If your pants are pulled up , hat on straight and you don't look like something the cat coughed up your usually good to go. Don't generally appreciate the "hey by's" either. That's just me though. Lol

Best of luck on getting your acerage
Need a "like" button....
Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smle303 View Post
Is it possible to have Alberta Game Act changed to put the onus on the person trespassing to have in their possession a letter of approval from the landowner to hunt (and specify what species) on the property they are witnessed on..some of the monies collected from game tags would go to an enforcement body who would randomly pick an area and stop people on private land and lay charges with penalty fees for breaking the law..these fees would also fund the enforcement body.
Objections I've heard from landowners to similar proposals is "no way in hell". The reason? Liability if anything happened on their land.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I could never follow the logic behind refusing access to a responsible individual because of lowlifes. As a hunter and a Trapper I am the eyes and ears for the landowners who grant me access to their property. In many cases I know more about what’s going on on their own land than they do. Denying access to me because of poachers would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

OP, find yourself a responsible individual who’ll spend time out there and keep an eye out for you and not even charge you a cent.

x2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Objections I've heard from landowners to similar proposals is "no way in hell". The reason? Liability if anything happened on their land.
In my mind such an act should expressly deny ANY liability to the owners for free access to their land. Seems more than reasonable and I can think of legal grounds for it.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:

Waddaya think....?
Great Idea!
Old 11-07-2017, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
I ran across this just today.....lol. In Alberta you need a permission form in your possession signed by the landowner granting you access to trap private land. A landowner needs the coyotes thinned out and I need the permission slip. She didn’t want to sign it because of liability concerns......”What if a trespasser shoots you, I could be held liable?” So, i’m Going to write on the form that I accept all risks and will not hold her liable.

For trapping i’m Okay with it but not for hunting. They are so short staffed right now that they can’t keep up with reported trespassing let alone being proactive. Besides, they could stop everyone already and contact the landowner to ensure that they have permission. It’s not feasible and is just added bureaucracy that won’t help solve anything.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:18 AM

The person that asks for permission is probably not going to be the one wrecking your land. Getting hunting permission is pretty difficult as the few bad apples wreck it for the honest.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
A friend of mine drove his truck to a slough on his land just far enough for his front tires to get wet then went around to the far side and did the same thing it looked like someone drove through the 4' deep water. The next day some hunters walked up to his farm house asking if he could pull them out " sorry my tractors not running" several hundred dollars later a tow truck pulled them out.
Bahahaha ..... nice.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:24 PM

Default He's back

It is a nearly new white 4 door 1/2 ton. He drove into the field at 4:45 p just before dark and I saw him pull in. I also saw about 15 deer leave the stand of trees but he was by himself and they came out behind him and I don't think he saw them. Last time there were 2 trucks, to-night only one.

A minute or two later 4 bucks came cantering across my yard about 1/2 mile east of where the truck was.

I got out side quick enough that he could see me as he drove by standing in my driveway with binoculars. Didn't seem to bother him as he drove very slowly down the range road.

I don't want any shooting; from the truck, toward my house, in the dark, so if there are some of you guys with a tag for 206, shoot me a pm and we'll see if we can get a real hunter or two out there.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
As a farmer that used to give permission to anyone that asked I fully understand the frustration of the problems landowners are facing today. It used to be that we had trouble with the out of town big city hunters. In recent years it is now the locals causing us the most grief. Today’s entitled hunting generation feels they have the right to go wherever, with whoever and whenever they want. It is hard to find these “trusting” hunters because I fully believe they do not exist anymore.
you really don't think that, do you?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
Hard not to think like that when I have yet to be proven otherwise. I’m in 206 just like densa44. Not many real hunters. Lots of F150 tree stand hunters and every other guy is a wannabe guide. Shots fired from vehicle at the end of my driveway at night. Caught one guy red handed and he still trying to lie to me. Guys that never talk to me the rest of the year can’t leave me alone during harvest and can’t keep from driving over crop when I’ve gave them permission and asked them not to drive over crop. Getting lipped off by locals about land ownership on my own land that we’ve owned 80+ years. Do you want me to go on?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
Your argument is kinda ironic given your "screen name"
Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 AM

I know our F&W are super busy in Nov and held by the short and curlies with funding but it sure seems like a great place to catch some scum poachers and the OP is handing them to them on a silver platter. What a great place for the robo deer and a sting.

Hope they can catch these guys densa44
Old 11-08-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The solution is to give hunting permission. If you have a couple of honest guys hunting your property people see that and avoid it like the plague. I’ve seen this time and time again. You have eyes and vested interest
Good advice. Too many people trespassing areas south and more than 1 landowner says permission helps. The good guys look after the areas.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM

Cool

Quote:
Was told by a local RCMP that could leave one liable for charges or lawsuit. Not sure I want to test that one.
Sorry buy you can leave or do as you please on your place cops said to me if they trespass there **** ass luck run out and lawsuit up there ass not yours.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 wild cat View Post
Sorry buy you can leave or do as you please on your place cops said to me if they trespass there **** ass luck run out and lawsuit up there ass not yours.
Cops can say lotsa things, you're lucky if 50% of it is accurate.

There are no absolutes