Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 05:41 PM

Default Poachers

That is why this is not in the hunting discussion. Here is what they did/are doing. They are driving the roads in East central AB (2 trucks) and driving into all the old oil roads and farm land entrances. Last night just before full dark, sun had set. They drove into the 1/4 section to the east of me and took one 30 foot shot from inside the truck, took a couple of staples off of the fence and were gone in less than 10 mins.

I'd like to discourage this sort of thing, they were shooting toward my house. I'll call F and W tomorrow but prayer will work as well.

Any ideas that don't involve firearms. I suspect these are local boys (the fence business) and if they want to trespass and poach I'm surprised because there are lots of deer.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
That is why this is not in the hunting discussion. Here is what they did/are doing. They are driving the roads in East central AB (2 trucks) and driving into all the old oil roads and farm land entrances. Last night just before full dark, sun had set. They drove into the 1/4 section to the east of me and took one 30 foot shot from inside the truck, took a couple of staples off of the fence and were gone in less than 10 mins.

I'd like to discourage this sort of thing, they were shooting toward my house. I'll call F and W tomorrow but prayer will work as well.

Any ideas that don't involve firearms. I suspect these are local boys (the fence business) and if they want to trespass and poach I'm surprised because there are lots of deer.

Thanks guys.
Same type of stuff is happening around here. Locked steel gates busted open and wire gates drove thru. Unsure of what the answer is.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Trying to figure out the best way to pinch one myself. Not damaging property but jack lighting 5 hours after legal light. Precident is the same.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Banned

Is there a ditch? If so, can you put a hay bale at the entrance to the field?
Old 11-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Banned

I can see that permission that used to be easy to get around here will not be so easy any more.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Have you called the authorities?

Step 1
Old 11-05-2017, 07:22 PM

Some upside down harrows might work. These kinds of idiots screw it for everyone else.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:27 PM
Banned

Unlike property crime where pictures wont entice the police to investigate further than documenting a complaint, a little visual evidence goes a long way with f&w...i mean they will check freezers for poached meat or fish, get some plate numbers on the off chance that it's not a stolen vehicle and i'm sure that f&w will be happy to pay them a visit...maybe they could even talk the police into doing something about it...
Old 11-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Banned

Default Problem Solved

We had this problem in our farming area and one farmer initiated a solution that solved the problem.
You accidentally have diamond harrows fall out of your truck or disconnect from the harrow drawbar. Of course when they disconnect they somehow are in a tines-up position.
Before long all farmers in the area began loosing harrows. It became coffee banter; dominated the social scene. That blue truck in your field the other day: who in the hell did you get . You remember the red truck in Fred`s field on the Solomon`s homeplace, it had his battery and wrenches in the back.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:17 PM

Harrows only work if you get them in place before a snowfall
Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Some upside down harrows might work. These kinds of idiots screw it for everyone else.
Was told by a local RCMP that could leave one liable for charges or lawsuit. Not sure I want to test that one.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Was told by a local RCMP that could leave one liable for charges or lawsuit. Not sure I want to test that one.
That would be a typical response from the RCMP, they do nothing and encourage others to do the same.........so useless they have become.

I like the harrows idea, it has been suggested many times on here, never ever heard of a "charge" being laid against a farmer for this kind of "accident". A charge would mean that the RCMP would have to expend a bit of effort on rural crime and its been pretty obvious that sure as hell isn't going to happen.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I can see that permission that used to be easy to get around here will not be so easy any more.
I could never follow the logic behind refusing access to a responsible individual because of lowlifes. As a hunter and a Trapper I am the eyes and ears for the landowners who grant me access to their property. In many cases I know more about what’s going on on their own land than they do. Denying access to me because of poachers would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

OP, find yourself a responsible individual who’ll spend time out there and keep an eye out for you and not even charge you a cent.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:04 AM

I gave up trying so I just opened the gates.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I could never follow the logic behind refusing access to a responsible individual because of lowlifes. As a hunter and a Trapper I am the eyes and ears for the landowners who grant me access to their property. In many cases I know more about what’s going on on their own land than they do. Denying access to me because of poachers would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

OP, find yourself a responsible individual who’ll spend time out there and keep an eye out for you and not even charge you a cent.
The problem is that once one vehicle drives thru they all do. Unless I know you personally how can I judge if you’re responsible. Trespassers come in many shapes and colours it seems.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 AM

Call both F&W and the RCMP, and tell both that you are fearing for your safety because they are shooting towards your home. If they won't respond to deal with violations of the Wildlife Act, perhaps they will respond of someone is being put at risk by these actions.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
We had this problem in our farming area and one farmer initiated a solution that solved the problem.
You accidentally have diamond harrows fall out of your truck or disconnect from the harrow drawbar. Of course when they disconnect they somehow are in a tines-up position.
Before long all farmers in the area began loosing harrows. It became coffee banter; dominated the social scene. That blue truck in your field the other day: who in the hell did you get . You remember the red truck in Fred`s field on the Solomon`s homeplace, it had his battery and wrenches in the back.
So some father has his young son out with him hunting. Pulls into a field he is sure he has permission on and boom flat tires. He made a honest mistake and he ends up with ruined tires and maybe more. His son is taught what?

Or worse yet they respectfully park by the gate and walk in instead of driving in as requested by the farmer they have permission from. Boy trips and falls on harrows as they are covered by snow. Guess as he is hopefully recovering from his injuries he can try to figure out why anyone would do such a thing.

Sorry I cannot fathom how anyone could see this as anything but malicious and ill guided.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:40 AM

Default Harrows won't work

The perps drove through the low ditch straight across the stubble, so that may not be very effective.

What do the poachers do with the deer they shoot? I'm almost positive it was an anterless WT?

There are still lots where they took this one, is it likely that they will be back?

It is so unnecessary there are lots of deer around and hardly any hunters so why do this in the first place? These guys aren't poor, the tires on their trucks cost about $500.00 each.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:49 AM

Call the authorities every time you see them, and convince your neighbors to do the same. Eventually they will likely get caught. Until then, they won't quit. Someone on Facebook has posted pictures of F&W seizing firearms and such as a result of a landowner calling to report the scumbags, so it does work at least sometimes.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM

The solution is to give hunting permission. If you have a couple of honest guys hunting your property people see that and avoid it like the plague. I’ve seen this time and time again. You have eyes and vested interest

-Billy Molls
Old 11-06-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Call both F&W and the RCMP, and tell both that you are fearing for your safety because they are shooting towards your home. If they won't respond to deal with violations of the Wildlife Act, perhaps they will respond of someone is being put at risk by these actions.
The property next door to the farm where we boarded our horse sold and the new owners had a party one night. they started target shooting, freaking out the boarded horses. Owner called the RCMP and said the same thing as above, yellow pants were there in 20 mins. Never heard another shot or a lick of trouble from the property since.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Trying to figure out the best way to pinch one myself. Not damaging property but jack lighting 5 hours after legal light. Precident is the same.
Spike Belt……..
Old 11-06-2017, 09:31 AM

As a farmer that used to give permission to anyone that asked I fully understand the frustration of the problems landowners are facing today. It used to be that we had trouble with the out of town big city hunters. In recent years it is now the locals causing us the most grief. Today’s entitled hunting generation feels they have the right to go wherever, with whoever and whenever they want. It is hard to find these “trusting” hunters because I fully believe they do not exist anymore.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
So some father has his young son out with him hunting. Pulls into a field he is sure he has permission on and boom flat tires. He made a honest mistake and he ends up with ruined tires and maybe more. His son is taught what?

Or worse yet they respectfully park by the gate and walk in instead of driving in as requested by the farmer they have permission from. Boy trips and falls on harrows as they are covered by snow. Guess as he is hopefully recovering from his injuries he can try to figure out why anyone would do such a thing.

Sorry I cannot fathom how anyone could see this as anything but malicious and ill guided.
"Pulls into a field he is sure he has permission on" is there even one poacher/trespasser who hasn't used that line for an excuse? The lesson learned is that people will put a little more effort into knowing where they are, as I guarantee you if a fellow flattened his tires he will make sure of where he is going next time. Flattened tires may be an expensive lesson but it is one that will never be forgotten.
The reason trespassing is so rampant is because to many people have no respect......none at all for landowners. Your attempt to pull at the heart strings by suggesting that a child may fall on the harrows and possibly being maimed for life is ludicrous but nice try.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The solution is to give hunting permission. If you have a couple of honest guys hunting your property people see that and avoid it like the plague. I’ve seen this time and time again. You have eyes and vested interest
I like the idea of dragging them around the property by their heels so theyll have a good idea where the boundaries are.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
As a farmer that used to give permission to anyone that asked I fully understand the frustration of the problems landowners are facing today. It used to be that we had trouble with the out of town big city hunters. In recent years it is now the locals causing us the most grief. Today’s entitled hunting generation feels they have the right to go wherever, with whoever and whenever they want. It is hard to find these “trusting” hunters because I fully believe they do not exist anymore.
Please don't let the bad apples ruin it for the good folks . We spotted some Moose on property we did not have permission to hunt . After 10 minutes of searching we located a phone number and called the landowner . I respectfully asked if he would allow a bull moose to be taken on his property. The first question he asked was "Are you respectful" . After a conversation he gave permission to harvest the Moose. Later the property owners Son in Law drove out to do a meet and greet with us . It was a very positive experience and one that is becoming a rarity in today's world. So yes a little respect for landowners goes a long way .
Old 11-06-2017, 10:47 AM

A friend of mine drove his truck to a slough on his land just far enough for his front tires to get wet then went around to the far side and did the same thing it looked like someone drove through the 4' deep water. The next day some hunters walked up to his farm house asking if he could pull them out " sorry my tractors not running" several hundred dollars later a tow truck pulled them out.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
"Pulls into a field he is sure he has permission on" is there even one poacher/trespasser who hasn't used that line for an excuse? The lesson learned is that people will put a little more effort into knowing where they are, as I guarantee you if a fellow flattened his tires he will make sure of where he is going next time. Flattened tires may be an expensive lesson but it is one that will never be forgotten.
The reason trespassing is so rampant is because to many people have no respect......none at all for landowners. Your attempt to pull at the heart strings by suggesting that a child may fall on the harrows and possibly being maimed for life is ludicrous but nice try.
Its always about the childrens! I agree, that's a ludicrous argument. I don't think anyone is advocating laying out harrows or spikes on an open access, but its perfectly reasonable to do so behind a locked gate. Anyone busting through certainly can't claim they thought they had permission.

Bottom line is don't trespass, and be sure of where the hell your at before you start hunting. Let's be honest here, most of the guys driving into places they don't have permission on know exactly what they are doing. That's another reason they drive in instead of walking, allows for quick exit should they bw discovered.

It's getting harder to get permission these days, and I'm not surprised. I used to get permission about 80% of the time, now days its more like 20-30%. I don't blame them either, they all generally have stories about why they don't allow hunting anymore. I find that if I request foot access only for bowhunting it helps a bit but many are just done with it.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
IL Bar... I can guarantee you they still exist. For 21 years I hunted a sweet little honeyhole and was very appreciative for it. So much so I shared every bit of venison with the landowner....I also repaired fencing, drywalled his basement and even financially compensated him when it became necessary. I now call him a close friend and although 5000 kms apart, we still keep in touch.

Was his eyes and ears on more than one occasion. Also picked up trash if any found (his extended family were ... less respectful). Life changed for me, he also, and the farm was sold several years back...we all moved on.

I have taught these lessons to my son and wouldn't let him shoot a coyote last year as another landowner asked we not do so.... we respected his knowledge.

A lot of unsure ranchers/landowners...don't blame them one bit. It's hard not to be cynical but I do think we represent the silent majority.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
A friend of mine drove his truck to a slough on his land just far enough for his front tires to get wet then went around to the far side and did the same thing it looked like someone drove through the 4' deep water. The next day some hunters walked up to his farm house asking if he could pull them out " sorry my tractors not running" several hundred dollars later a tow truck pulled them out.
He should have had them charged as well.