Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
My point is made in the last line. They will try...
They have already tried and have succeeded. The precedent has been set and future cases only need now to establish similar circumstances as Khadr. It's the same lawyer looking at another huge payday, so I am fairly sure he is confident that there enough similarities between Khadr and the new case to argue for a settlement.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When the world learned that our government paid a terrorist/murderer millions for supposedly being tortured by authorities that were not Canadian, in a foreign country, the lineup for free money started. Now we can expect to see vase after case for years to come. It won't matter what citizenship they hold, or who supposedly abused them, they will try and receive compensation from Canada.

Any former Gitmo ‘guest’ who had so much as a flight stopover in Canada probably lawyered up when the ink for the headlines of the other payouts was still drying.

Mind you, the lawyer probably had them on speed-dial anyways, gotta keep those fat cheque’s coming in, but only because of how concerned with justice he is of course.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
And defending against these "tries" comes free $$$?
If I sued you, however frivolously you deemed that suit to be, you would have to come out of pocket to defend yourself.

By the theory presented on this thread, after one loss by the enemy, the problem goes away.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:43 AM

This new guy isn't even a citizen. He was here two years, denied asylum and deported. And we did not capture him nor torture him. Govt should fight it and it should be tossed from court. Notice he isn't suing the American government that captured, held, and allegedly tortured him. They would tell him to pound sand.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:40 AM

And there I thought Obama was the great apologist....Trulander...er Superman makes Obama look like an amateur
Old 11-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
This new guy isn't even a citizen. He was here two years, denied asylum and deported. And we did not capture him nor torture him. Govt should fight it and it should be tossed from court. Notice he isn't suing the American government that captured, held, and allegedly tortured him. They would tell him to pound sand.
Once you allow a wasp to sting you it leaves pheromones in your body that will attract other wasps and make them attack. Sure you can swat them, but they'll just keep coming. Once the damage is done, it's done.

That's all I have to say about that.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Once you allow a wasp to sting you it leaves pheromones in your body that will attract other wasps and make them attack. Sure you can swat them, but they'll just keep coming. Once the damage is done, it's done.

That's all I have to say about that.
like it!
Old 11-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
They have already tried and have succeeded. The precedent has been set and future cases only need now to establish similar circumstances as Khadr. It's the same lawyer looking at another huge payday, so I am fairly sure he is confident that there enough similarities between Khadr and the new case to argue for a settlement.
They settled out of court. There is no precedent. They should have fought it regardless of costs as a deterrent though. Now we're gonna have to fight every guy and his dog who even smells he has the slightest chance of a settlement. Pretty sad state of affairs
Old 11-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
They settled out of court. There is no precedent. They should have fought it regardless of costs as a deterrent though. Now we're gonna have to fight every guy and his dog who even smells he has the slightest chance of a settlement. Pretty sad state of affairs
The lawsuit was concluded based on agreed resolution by both parties. This resolution is the conclusion of the civil case and the terms of agreement are a matter of public record, so a precedent has been set. It is not a coincidence that Khadr received almost the same amount as Maher Arar received following his year long detention and alleged torture in Syria in 2002.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:08 PM

Government should just streamline things so we don't have to keep going through this, and save on admin and legal costs..

"Hey Al-Qaeda and ISIS fighters!

Were you ever captured by Canadian troops in Afghanistan or questioned by Canadian intelligence officials? If so, you may claim your $10,000,000 cheque from any Canada Post office on Wednesday or Friday during regular business hours (closed for lunch)."

Oh... and what do the traumatize and injured folks who served in OUR army get? yeah, bupkus.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:59 PM

I hope all these guys lining up get every cent from our government they don't deserve. It should make Canadians wake up at the polls next election and realize it does matter which box you check on the ballot. We don't even look after our vets, but we sure do every one elses
Old 11-06-2017, 07:56 PM

Has the Boyle guy and his wife lined up a lawyer yet?
Old 11-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Banned

Default same lawyer as Khadar

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ral-government
Old 11-07-2017, 11:46 AM

I would think that Trudeau was a lot more sincere about his "feel bads" if the $10 million came from his own trust fund.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I would think that Trudeau was a lot more sincere about his "feel bads" if the $10 million came from his own trust fund.
Those are protected over seas
Old 11-07-2017, 11:48 AM

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...rdish-militias

I would want to send my jihadist to Canada also. Hope for a pay day.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin