Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Banned

Default Trudeau has set the precedent.

The line up has started, this one is asking for a cool $50 million.

http://edmontonsun.com/news/national...a-b9f254e014c8
Old 11-05-2017, 01:09 PM

The Canadian government has been torturing me for the last couple years. Can I have 10mil?
Old 11-05-2017, 01:11 PM

“My current situation is really bad, I am struggling to survive,” Ameziane, 50, said from near Algiers. “I was repatriated from Guantanamo and left like almost homeless. I couldn’t find a job because of the Guantanamo stigma and my age, so a settlement would be very helpful to me to get my life back together."

Perfect, here is a resume template and a computer to borrow. Get your life together.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:15 PM

“For many years, I had the idea of suing the Canadian government but didn’t know how and honestly didn’t know it was possible until I read the news about the settlement of Omar Khadr, who was my fellow inmate in Guantanamo Bay,” Ameziane said.

How many more.......... gag!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:35 PM

To get back on your feet in Algeria? Hhhhmmmm lets think, life expectancy 74 yrs, average income about $1000 US/month, give a lifetime income from age 50 of $288 000. I think he added too many zeros. We have to fight this, Canada will become the laughing stock of the world. Taxes will have to be raised again.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
“For many years, I had the idea of suing the Canadian government but didn’t know how and honestly didn’t know it was possible until I read the news about the settlement of Omar Khadr, who was my fellow inmate in Guantanamo Bay,” Ameziane said.

How many more.......... gag!
He's using one of Khadr's lawyers too. http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/omar-kh...cted-1.3500742
Old 11-05-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
Seeing as he’s not nor ever was a Canadian citizen he can go F off, try going after the American government seeing as they are the ones who allegedly tortured him.
Exactly right. But expect the Liberal gov to give him the standard ten million settlement.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-05-2017, 02:20 PM

Default 50, 000 ,000 $

that is the same lawyer that kahdr was using , he is a recent import from scotland , he needs a trip to the end of a quite country road in the trunk of some ones car, and have the rules regarding frivilous law suits explained
Old 11-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Gone Hunting

I trust the gov't lawyers to save us some money and settle this long before it goes to court.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Banned

Unhappy

At least he is not a canadian citizen,it's unfortunate he had bad luck in his journey.
He looks personable maybe an inquiry will happen and he will put his claim on hold?
Old 11-05-2017, 02:32 PM

He isn't even a Canadian, the courts should refuse to hear any suit they file, flipping ridiculous.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
He isn't even a Canadian, the courts should refuse to hear any suit they file, flipping ridiculous.
Khadar was born here and moved when he was like 3 months old. I think if you could draw a leaf that resembles the Mapleleaf Trudeau will consider you a Canadian.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I trust the gov't lawyers to save us some money and settle this long before it goes to court.
And quietly too. Can’t say I blame him for trying. It free money if he wins. Much better odds and payout than 649😅.
We are probably a laughing stock for those folks. You know they wouldn’t dare sue their own country.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:24 PM

Personally I think the best way of stopping these absolutely ridiculous lawsuits is making the lawyer pay all expenses on both sides associated with any of these that they lose. Perhaps the lawyers would then be a lot more hesitant to bring these quasi treasonous cases to court...
Old 11-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Personally I think the best way of stopping these absolutely ridiculous lawsuits is making the lawyer pay all expenses on both sides associated with any of these that they lose. Perhaps the lawyers would then be a lot more hesitant to bring these quasi treasonous cases to court...
How about proposing a law that exempts Canada from any legal or financial responsibility for anyone ACCUSED of any terrorist acts.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
How about proposing a law that exempts Canada from any legal or financial responsibility for anyone ACCUSED of any terrorist acts.
So, Canada sends innocent people off to Syria or Gitmo, and we bear no responsibility? This man looks to be innocent of anything. 11 years in Gitmo, no charges, no convictions. That doesn't bother you?

Have to wonder, what if it was an innocent white person?

What I find funny tho, Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, the Somali that did the attack in Edmonton was known to police, ordered deported from the US - became a refugee in Canada and managed to live here.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:09 PM

I'm far from any sort of legal expert, but now it really makes a guy wonder if the government could have just spent the money on lawyers to tie Khadr's case up in paper work and court for the next decade or so, instead of creating some nice precedent for all these new frivolous lawsuits by former friends from Guantanamo. Even if it would have cost $50 million in additional legal fees to clog up the system.

That said, there are a lot smarter lawyers working for our government that probably would have suggested this if it were a viable option (talk about job security with that option!), so I'll assume that we're just shafted regardless.

Christ is it ever insulting though.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
So, Canada sends innocent people off to Syria or Gitmo, and we bear no responsibility? This man looks to be innocent of anything. 11 years in Gitmo, no charges, no convictions. That doesn't bother you?

Have to wonder, what if it was an innocent white person?

What I find funny tho, Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, the Somali that did the attack in Edmonton was known to police, ordered deported from the US - became a refugee in Canada and managed to live here.
Are you accusing me of being racist? It sure looks that way.

I'm pretty sure I said there should be a law ANYONE accused of terrorist acts should have there rights removed, not anyone who isn't white. You better get that straight because I don't appreciate what you're insinuating.

PS, Canada didn't send anyone anywhere, Canada is a country!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you accusing me of being racist? It sure looks that way.

I'm pretty sure I said there should be a law ANYONE accused of terrorist acts should have there rights removed, not anyone who isn't white. You better get that straight because I don't appreciate what you're insinuating.

PS, Canada didn't send anyone anywhere, Canada is a country!
Ok, our intelligence services.

No, I'm not calling anyone racist, but all these threads follow the same pattern. If it's brown, flush it down.

Accused of anything doesn't mean guilty. But conviction in the court of public opinion is getting old.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 PM

The other thing, canada probably should not have been deporting prisoners to guantanamo....considering what was going on there.

Canada has laws about deporting people to places that do not obey laws dealing with treatment of prisoners etc. Thats why we have a few people in canada that should be getting death penalties down in the usa.

Soooooo, since previous governments in the past 15 years didnt read properly or act accordingly and ship these people all over the place we get the luxury of paying for their lack of legal know how.

Considering how many people have been arrested and never charged/deported to guantanamo etc i am sure there will be a whole slough full of lawsuits coming down the pipe now.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

No, I'm not calling anyone racist, but all these threads follow the same pattern. If it's brown, flush it down.

Accused of anything doesn't mean guilty. But conviction in the court of public opinion is getting old.
Maybe you should foot the 50mil bill since you seem to be okay with this new trend.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

Are you saying all terrorists are brown?

Seems a little racist.

I think you had better learn there is a difference between an Arab and a terrorist.

Maybe he was guilty? Maybe he was innocent? But there had to be a good reason he was accused of being a terrorist.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you saying all terrorists are brown?

Seems a little racist.

I think you had better learn there is a difference between an Arab and a terrorist.

Maybe he was guilty? Maybe he was innocent? But there had to be a good reason he was accused of being a terrorist.
At least give the man a pittance, and do a little reading... People are so quick to condemn.

https://ccrjustice.org/home/what-we-...-united-states

And while we're at it, lets refresh on Maher Arar. There are lots more, but...
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...beandmail.com&
Old 11-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Banned

Where's the ten million for our guys who lost life and limb and mind over there? Their widows should get it and the soldiers too. I for one believe you do two or more tours you should never have to pay taxes again! Wounded or not!
Old 11-05-2017, 07:08 PM

Here's the problem, Canada's intelligence branch CSIS, shares intel with international partners all over the world including the US. CSIS may have a file on an individual which suggests involvement in terrorism. That information in itself can not be act upon in Canada because of our Criminal Justice System and Laws. Now give that same information to the US, and they can act on it as a result of new laws created after 9/11.

Why we are being held accountable for the action of the US military and government is beyond me.

If the NYPD calls the Toronto Police and say John Smith might be a person of interest in a homicide. And in turn the Toronto Police kicks in John Smith's door without a warrant, assaults him, and refuses to give him a lawyer call, should John Smith sue the Toronto Police or the NYPD?

These lawsuits filed against Canada are crazy!
Old 11-05-2017, 08:30 PM
Banned

Fer 50 000 000$ I'd let em torture me, all these terrorist look perfect fine, like really I've more been messed up at work than these clowns did allegedly being tortured. Trudeau needs to be a man and grow a pair and start doing whats right for this country.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:15 AM
Banned

Default Cheese is

I must be missing something. Where does it read (besides on this forum) that this man has been awarded the money already? Why are some of you putting the cart before the horse?

You are doing a good job of convincing the more rational thinkers that a lot of Albertans are consumed by their hatred of all things outside of their own spheres. It's this kind of conversations that drive the fragile minds and wounded spirits to go on a rampage and kill everyone that doesn't think like themselves. By your own admission most of you are well armed already and demanding your right to CC and own military grade weapons.

From where I stand, and I am an Albertan through and through- my grandfather, my father and my sister are buried in Lethbridge- I'm glad I got out of Calgary before the shootings start.

And before anyone goes off half-cocked, the latest "terrorist episode" was committed by a white former military man who went off his toque with his delusional rage and hatred.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything any time. After all, it's the American way.

Free
Old 11-06-2017, 07:29 AM

When the world learned that our government paid a terrorist/murderer millions for supposedly being tortured by authorities that were not Canadian, in a foreign country, the lineup for free money started. Now we can expect to see vase after case for years to come. It won't matter what citizenship they hold, or who supposedly abused them, they will try and receive compensation from Canada.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When the world learned that our government paid a terrorist/murderer millions for supposedly being tortured by authorities that were not Canadian, in a foreign country, the lineup for free money started. Now we can expect to see vase after case for years to come. It won't matter what citizenship they hold, or who supposedly abused them, they will try and receive compensation from Canada.
My point is made in the last line. They will try...
Old 11-06-2017, 07:50 AM