Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2017, 11:09 AM

Default buy a quad

Thinking buying a quad. mainly use it for a little bit hunting in the fall on the muddy road and ice fishing in the winter. Googled the stores in Edmonton area. Is there any suggestions which one I should go?

Also, I want to buy a little trailer for this quad. But I am thinking to use the trailer for my inflatable (10ft long by Seamax) boat as well. Someone thought of this? Is it feasible?
Old 11-03-2017, 11:19 AM

Any 4x4 from Suzuki, Yamaha, or Honda in the 400-500cc class will be dead reliable and get you any place you can possibly get to on an atv. If you want something with a bit more juice behind it the Kawasaki brute force 750 are very well rounded machines and cost less than other large c.f. machines.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:26 AM

I would say one of these little Hondas would suit you fine. We have a couple in our hunt camp that have been running for decades, pulled out many (large) animals with them. If you don't have a need for speed, that would be a good way to go IMO.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:18 PM

Great quad advice already given. The only limitations on the trailer idea is the terrain that needs to be covered. Are you considering hitting some hidden lakes with only cut line access? If so, investing in a walking beam tub trailer will increase your fun factor for your fishing and hunting endeavours.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Quad

I have a 2009 Kawasaki Prairie KVF 360 for sale if you are interested. Only 930kms on it. Pretty much brand new. Was only used on an acreage to do yard work. $3000 or thereabouts takes it. Send me an email and I can send you pictures.

Doc
Old 11-03-2017, 01:01 PM

looks like it's easier to pick a quad than a trailer in my case. A trailer to fit my future quad and my inflatable boat. I don't want to assembly the boat every time hitting lakes anymore.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
Great quad advice already given. The only limitations on the trailer idea is the terrain that needs to be covered. Are you considering hitting some hidden lakes with only cut line access? If so, investing in a walking beam tub trailer will increase your fun factor for your fishing and hunting endeavours.
agreed
Old 11-03-2017, 08:30 PM

Default Diff Lock for Front Axle

The features have really blended over time from all the manufacturer.

Make sure you have a front locking differential. This is the extra that will get you through more times than not.

What will make you comfortable is a 4 wheel independent suspension. Straight axles in the back makes you sore after a day on the bike in rough country.

Drewski
Old 11-05-2017, 07:10 AM

I’ll look at a side by side next
Old 11-05-2017, 07:35 AM

IMO you cant beat Suzuki or Honda for reliability, in either order.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:35 PM

Years ago it used to be Honda and Yamaha. But now most will treat you well if you maintain them. If you plan on taking anyone with you forgo the quad. I went from a grizzly 700 to a Viking and will never go back. SxS are far more practical and you can haul more people and gear in a safer manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2017, 06:47 AM

i have a grizzly , its been a great machine ,i'd probably buy a side by side next though.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If I had to go to one machine, knowing what I know and doing what I do the quad is your best all around bet...kinda like the 30-06...good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-07-2017, 07:10 AM

I have similar questions to the OP. Not trying to derail the thread, but rather than endlessly debate brands, what features do you see most useful for the activities listed?

Thinking the following (Yes / No - why):

*ESP "electronic shift program"

*Power steering

*IRS "independent rear suspension"

*What else? Any new models still have a pull-start option if you wake up and the battery is low/dead?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:19 AM

I would buy a small Outlander. I've had Hondas, Yamaha's and and two Outlanders and like the Outlanders the best (Grizzly is a close second). They start well in cold weather, ride nice, don't burn belts, and have been very reliable.

I don't have power steering but my dad's Honda does. I'll never own another without power steering. Front diff lock is also a must, and I would only go CVT.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-07-2017, 07:51 AM

For ice fishing the biggest challenge i had was cold weather starting. (I had a carb Honda 500 that didn't like -20). Probably look at fuel injection with a back up start option. Second biggest challenge was ground clearance and decent tires to push through the snow, that meant 27" mud bugs and a quad powerful enough to turn them.

Last edited by ROA; 11-07-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
looks like it's easier to pick a quad than a trailer in my case. A trailer to fit my future quad and my inflatable boat. I don't want to assembly the boat every time hitting lakes anymore.
Just get a flat deck trailer for your quad and build some detachable bunks to put on the trailer for your boat.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:07 PM

Default buy a quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
I have similar questions to the OP. Not trying to derail the thread, but rather than endlessly debate brands, what features do you see most useful for the activities listed?

Thinking the following (Yes / No - why):

*ESP "electronic shift program"

*Power steering

*IRS "independent rear suspension"

*What else? Any new models still have a pull-start option if you wake up and the battery is low/dead?

Can't help you with ESP but the Yamaha belt system is damn near bullet proof and very little maintenance. Best belt system on the market bar none.

I'll never own another ATV without Power Steering. When Yamaha released the Grizzly I was lucky enough to go to the dealer test ride. The first ride in full diff lock I knew it was a game changer. It's a must.

IRS if you plan on riding deep mud or snow and want a better ride.

Don't get caught up in the big cc wars, the extra power is nice but a 450 will do 95% what a 1000 will do. There is a reason the 450-700 cc range has the largest market shares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk