Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2017, 02:11 PM

Default Anybody watch The Curse of Oak Island?

The new season starts next week or the week after. I’ve seen a couple of promos and they’re hinting that this is the year.
I’ve been a fan of the show since it came on a few years back. I grew up on Cape Breton and heard stories from and had discussions with my father about it as far back as I can remember. So we’ve always been kind of captivated about what was actually there. It was nice to see some of our theories we had covered on the show and some of the stuff they’ve pulled up is very interesting.
The episodes can drag on a bit the last few seasons with little to no new evidence or discoveries, but I still watch on he edge of my seat.
In my opinion the big thing isn’t what they find down there (ie:gold, the holy grail, jimmy hoffa) its if they find something down there from the time period it’s suspected it was built. Could change a lot of history.
Anyone else into this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2017, 02:20 PM

What, did they finally find something? This series is a Geraldo Rivera special stretched out over years. "Nothing to see here folks. Move along."

Imagine watching Wicked Tuna, wondering if maybe this year they will actually catch a tuna. LOL
Old 11-01-2017, 02:30 PM

Every season they have been hinting at finding something. I hate the show. Yet cant stop watching. I am sure if they found something, we would of heard about it on the internet long before the show airs if it was something of real value
Old 11-01-2017, 02:30 PM

I watch them with my daughter, but frankly, the show drives me nuts. I'm intrigued by the mystery as well, but I can't stand all of the perceived "drama" and repetition. They should make the show 30 minutes long and cut out all of the extra crap and take me along for the ride. I PVR the show and end up skipping about 2-3 minutes of the show between each commercial due to the repetition.

Anyway, the topic is an interesting one, and hopefully they'll come up with something historically significant.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Interesting story however....

I've been watching since the beginning as others have said the 3 years series could be a one hour special. I don't really need to see them connect hoses, set up pumps and drill holes over and over after 12 hours of watching, oh look we found a nail.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:47 PM

I've read about Oak island since I was a kid and always dreamed for something like this show. I totally understand the frustration of not finding much but even the little discoveries that they make, whether its actual physical treasure or just some new knowledge, really gets me more interested.

I can tell its just me, because my wife grew up right next to Oak Island and she was excited at first....but not anymore....the repetition that another poster mentioned is totally accurate. They go to commercial then rehash the pre-commercial story for like 3-4 minutes before moving on.

I want this show to go on forever
Old 11-01-2017, 02:52 PM

Wish they would find a ton of gold and get it over with.
I won’t put any money into the effort because I don’t like the odds.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:55 PM

Same as everyone else, it drives me nutz, but the kids and I watch it pretty regularly. Mostly because it is on about the time we get home from the lake on Sunday night .... and that's right about "Crown time" LOL
Old 11-01-2017, 03:01 PM

I remember the episode of "In Search Of" that was narrated by Leonard Nimoy that covered the Oak Island mystery when I was a kid. Haven't seen the new series though.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:52 PM

Whenever they discuss it being the holy grail or the ark of the covenant I always try to picture what it would be like if that was actually the case. Can you imagine if one of those was discovered....on freaking reality TV on the History channel. hahaha...it would almost seem like blasphemy

One thing that slightly kills the show for me is that you know the discovery will not be on the show in some random episode....if anything is found it will be instant international news that will precede the show by months. So every time they try to make it a cliff-hanger I know that they didn't find anything major because I would have already read about it.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:20 PM

If a History Channel show actually found something it would be a first I think. Other than more creative ways to extract advertising dollars that is
Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I've been watching since the beginning as others have said the 3 years series could be a one hour special. I don't really need to see them connect hoses, set up pumps and drill holes over and over after 12 hours of watching, oh look we found a nail.

These are my thoughts exactly. However, I do find the whole thing intriguing and
can't quit watching but the constant repetition drives me nuts!!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:52 PM

History channel is stretching it out according to some books my friend read. Its supposed to be a 5 year contract or something like that. He also told me what was found and where. I should get the books from him and read them.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:59 PM

I personally don’t think there’s any treasure left. Whatever it was. But there definitely was something buried there a long time ago. When people weren’t supposed to be there. I’d like to see them find something solid and dated to the era. Whatever was there was very very valuable to go through all the trouble.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
He also told me what was found and where. I should get the books from him and read them.
You don't have to spill the beans but please tell me it was more than some wood, bent metal, a coin and a button. I find the show very interesting however I'm fading fast.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:25 PM

I'm very intrigued - but equally annoyed. Like a slow abscessed tooth slowly and constantly throbbing, with a repeated, droning, rhythm, so please, please for the love of God just tell us what's in the hole.

Yeah I will watch it and likely be annoyed after watching it - then I will watch it again the following week, and then the next.

At least something actually happens on Gold Rush.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFlame View Post
I watch them with my daughter, but frankly, the show drives me nuts. I'm intrigued by the mystery as well, but I can't stand all of the perceived "drama" and repetition. They should make the show 30 minutes long and cut out all of the extra crap and take me along for the ride.
They should have made the entire series 30 minutes. I'm quite sure I could have taken it all in....
I give that kind of nonsense 2 or 3 watches then purposely forget about them. Seems to be the way a lot of shows work today.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:58 PM

Default Found a nail

I agree with most,that the show is to long and drawn out. Also I think the "nail" was a railroad spike.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:47 AM

I agree with everything that is said but honestly you can just PVR it and skip to the last 10 minutes or so and they rehash the whole episode and leave you hanging for next week. If there is something interesting you want to actually watch then go back but other than that wait till next week.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:14 PM
Banned

Arrow

Just watched 4 minutes of it......feel stoopider already.

What next........start watching Hawaii Five-0

Very bad TV. Very very bad.

PS

It's just the producers throwing random junk in the pit...
Old 11-06-2017, 03:20 PM

Shake my head at these shows.....

Ice Road Truckers: This week they are going to... wait for it... drive on ice. Again. Wooooooo.

Ice Pilots: Buffalo must get all their revenue from TV. Now that the world has seen the decrepit state of their equipment and the morons who work there, would anyone actually buy a ticket or ship anything with them??? You couldn't pay me enough to go up with them.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:25 PM

[QUOTE]Anybody watch The Curse of Oak Island?[QUOTE]

It's on right now. Looks like they're showing last years episodes, priming us for this years version.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Banned

Watched a bit of that Gold Rush......just wow!

Is parker really hanging out with a girl now? It's a soap opera.... I bet she trots around behind the scenes snorting gold off the old guys belly!

Lazy cold Monday afternoon.....death by dumb TV

Told you I was getting stoopider.. posting about Tv shows.

I'm so embarrassed

Forged in Fire......now this is a winner!
Old 11-06-2017, 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Bushmaster;3661534][QUOTE]Anybody watch The Curse of Oak Island?
Quote:

It's on right now. Looks like they're showing last years episodes, priming us for this years version.
How could you watch that twice?

spoiler alert they find a bent piece of metal and a nail
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Lol. I didn't say I was watching it !! Just that its on.
Plus, this is one of the bonuses of a poor memory!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:20 PM

I will just wait for it to come out in the news. Till then, na.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Banned

Just like them bigfoot hunter shows........

WHAT WAS THAT!

Just swamp gas...... thought for sure it was a bigfooter

How exciting!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:23 AM

Buffalo Air is not allowed to carry passengers and was shut down for flying of any sort for quite a while after the show finished. My office was across the street from them and it was dead for a long time before they got permission to start flying cargo again.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Watched a bit of that Gold Rush......just wow!

Is parker really hanging out with a girl now? It's a soap opera.... I bet she trots around behind the scenes snorting gold off the old guys belly!

Lazy cold Monday afternoon.....death by dumb TV

Told you I was getting stoopider.. posting about Tv shows.

I'm so embarrassed

Forged in Fire......now this is a winner!

Forged in fire is a good show! I can’t stop watching oak island, cause what if they did find something?!? But they could do one show instead of one season

Old 11-07-2017, 03:08 PM

I preferred Diggers bring those two to Oak Island and they'd have the treasure found in no time