Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2017, 03:00 PM

Default All weather tires vs all season what's the difference

Is there a compound difference or is this just a selling gimmick
Old 10-28-2017, 03:13 PM

All weather have better rubber compounds for winter temperatures (better pliability in the cold) as well as more aggressive treads and siping which helps on ice and packed snow. 'All-seasons' should really be called what they really are: summer tires.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:37 PM

What would be the disadvantage to running all weather tires all year?
Old 10-28-2017, 03:42 PM

I think I posted this before - sorry.
My son has worked for KalTire for years and he, and a bunch of others there, all said that the cheapest snow tires are better for winter driving than the "best all seasons".
I never argued because I always had mounted snow tires switched on all my vehicles for years when Oct/Nov came anyway.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I'm not a tire expert, but even though all-weathers are intended for all year use, they 'may' wear out a little faster than all seasons, because of their slightly softer rubber compound.

In winter, just like all season tires, all weather tires are a band-aid in winter, but they're a better band-aid than all season tires.

Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 10-28-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:47 PM

Default Tires

The city of Edmonton police tested a lot of tires and chose to use nokian wr3 all weather tires which you buy at kal tire.
I bought then for my sons car and they are great all year round.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I'm not a tire expert, but even though all-weathers are intended for all year use, they 'may' wear out a little faster than all seasons, because of their slightly softer rubber compound.

Selkirk
I was thinking the same I just put new "all weather" tires on the van.

My all seasons need replacing was thinking about buying a second set of rims, the rims are $250, set of the useless tire sensors $240 + $100 balancing + cost of "summer tires" I was thinking it might be more cost effective to let them wear out faster.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
..........they 'may' wear out a little faster than all seasons, because of their slightly softer rubber compound.
MAY ain't the word.
Snow tires will wear out pretty fast if ya drive them on dry pavement 'all the time', because like ya said about about the softer compound.

Ya know how it is - as soon as your snow tires are on, it won't snow or get cold for WEEKS!

Best way to prevent Winter from coming that I can think of.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:00 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
I was thinking the same I just put new "all weather" tires on the van.

My all seasons need replacing was thinking about buying a second set of rims, the rims are $250, set of the useless tire sensors $240 + $100 balancing + cost of "summer tires" I was thinking it might be more cost effective to let them wear out faster.
Most people run All Weather tires, all year around ... that's what they're intended for. They may wear out a little faster than all season tires, but that's the compromise for an all-year tire, that works better in winter.

Selkirk
Old 10-28-2017, 04:44 PM

I've been running all season in summer and dedicated winters in winter. Was just seeing if the switch to all weather would be worth it
Old 10-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Banned

Some Nokian tires are made in Finland and intended for year round use. They have the mountain snowflake on the tire which allows for driving on roads that require so. If we get some snow I'll let you know how they work out as I just put a set of WRG3's on my wifes vehicle.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...kian-wrg3-suv/
Old 10-28-2017, 07:04 PM

I put a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on my Jetta this fall. Picked them up used(9/32) with steel rims for $450.00. First set of winter tires ever so will see how they due this year.

Lot of deals on Kijiji.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
MAY ain't the word.
Snow tires will wear out pretty fast if ya drive them on dry pavement 'all the time', because like ya said about about the softer compound.

Ya know how it is - as soon as your snow tires are on, it won't snow or get cold for WEEKS!

Best way to prevent Winter from coming that I can think of.
Yep, and if you want a spring snow storm slap on the summer tires.

I run Nokian Entyre 2.0 all season tires for three seasons and Hakkapeliitta in the winter on my car. I am not afraid to get caught in some snow with the Entyre and they run as nice on dry pavement as any summer I have run. They are absolutely awesome in rain and after about 10 - 12,000K they are still showing just under 100% on the indicators.

I was so impressed I put the Nokian Rotiiva AT on my pick up. These are a snow flake winter approved all season all terrain tire. These have been awesome as well but they haven't been tested in winter yet and I want to run these all year round. The price was right at just over $900 installed for 265 70 17s, they roll quiet on the high way and have been surprising good in mud. These seem to be wearing a little quicker than the Entyre but I don't mind a little softer rubber if they are good in snow and ice. I guess we will soon find out.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I bought them for my wifes car as she doesn't drive that much. When I
drive her car I find them good on snow but very noisey on dry pavement.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:15 AM

I ran the all-weather Nokian WRG3's on my car last winter. In my opinion they should be the gold standard for an all season tire but don't come close to the performance of a true winter tire. They work ok in snow but not much better than an all season on ice.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:11 AM
AO Sponsor

All weather tires are basically all season tires with a bit more specialized compounding to stretch how how far can go into sub zero temps before the compounding gets hard. They still don't have as aggressive compounding as serious winters hence why they are still usable year round, but because of that they are a compromise in both wear and severe winter traction.

In other words they are not a magic bullet as you give up on both ends of the scale to be a little more usable in the middle, but that may suit an individuals needs based on their situation. Just like anything, a jack of all trades is a master of none.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 PM

Angry

What gets my goat, is that some tire manufacturers are putting the snowflake symbol on their All Weather tires.
They're trying to pass them off, as 'real' winter tires!

What's with that?!

Selkirk
Old 10-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Banned

running Ctire's cooper A/T , all weather , with the flake and now with 60,000 klm's . I will never go back to a all season . Also have the Yokohama Geo lander G015 on . Excellent tire as well
Old 10-29-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
What gets my goat, is that some tire manufacturers are putting the snowflake symbol on their All Weather tires.
They're trying to pass them off, as 'real' winter tires!

What's with that?!

Selkirk
Good point!
The snowflake is on winter tires and All weather? After checking around there are very few all weather tires and most people like me thought that's what the symbol meant.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:39 PM

I ran Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac all season or back then had the mountain with snow flak symbol on my 2012 Pathfinder.

I was not impressed and found I was in 4X4 far to often. They also did not have a good life span as well.

I am trying winter tires for the first time in my 40 odd years of driving so I am expecting a big difference. I am still a firm believer that driving to road conditions is the most important thing.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:53 PM

I bought some Hankook Optimo 4S all-weathers in summer, 2016. I was tired of swapping tires out twice a year and only have one set of rims. I did quite a bit of research and these tires had a lot of positive reviews. They are very good on really wet, rainy roads and good in slush and snow. But they are not as good on ice, and I kinda wish now I had my Michelin Ice tires back!!

As for the mountain snowflake symbol, from the Kaltire website:

"The mountain snowflake symbol indicates a winter tire meets the minimum requirements for providing traction in harsh conditions, though some tires exceed the symbol’s requirements."

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-29-2017, 02:20 PM

I run KO2 all weather tires now and in the past , all season tires. In the last 8 or so vehicles I've had. Never did I have 2 sets of tires.

With the newer compounds out now , it's even better. The slight wear increase is offset by way less money over time ( only one set of tires and rims) and when they're toast , I buy another set and I'm not having to do a wheel swap fall and spring.

How you drive has a lot to do with it.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Seasonal tires need to be swapped out four times as we have four seasons, all weather tires persevere through it all....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-30-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I've always assumed that "all weather" tires WERE for running year round. If you are going to be changing over every spring and fall, forget all weather. Go all season and then full snow/winter tires.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=Okotokian;3655225]I've always assumed that "all weather" tires WERE for running year round. If you are going to be changing over every spring and fall, forget all weather. Go all season and then full snow/winter tires.[/QUOTE

Tires are not simple anymore

snowflake means both all weather and snow tires and very few are "all weather"
I was sold winter tires thinking they were all weather??? my plan was to leave them on all year

All weather are made with the same special rubber as winter except with all season tread both have the snowflake ?
Old 10-30-2017, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
All weather are made with the same special rubber as winter except with all season tread both have the snowflake ?
The snowflake means the tire has passed a very specific test, these are the details.

https://info.kaltire.com/winter-tire...wflake-symbol/
Old 10-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
The snowflake means the tire has passed a very specific test, these are the details.

https://info.kaltire.com/winter-tire...wflake-symbol/
good report Midgetwaiter .

makes me feel better with the extra money spent . who really wants to be changing out tires twice a year . the cost of that alone is the price diff on the better tire and yes the lower KLM's .
Old 10-30-2017, 06:43 PM

The difference between All Weather Tires and All Season Tires is about $12 a tire
Old 10-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Banned

Not sure where the studded tire thread got off to but I saved this link reguarding a svedish study and studded tires. It reguards tires anyways and sealed the deal on me studing my tires.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22269484/
Old 11-05-2017, 04:25 PM

Default Premature wear?

After going out for my first winter drive yesterday, I noticed a bit of sliding at stops, but didn't get too worried. Then I looked at my tracks in the snow and there hardly were any, so I did the toonie tread test, and the tread comes up to about 2/3 of the word DOLLAR, which I understand is more than 50% gone and I only have 36.4K since putting them on in July/16. So, kinda not happy about that!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!