Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2017, 05:36 PM

Thumbs down Cabela's Hometown Heroes. No more

I figured this would happen sooner or later.

https://www.funker530.com/cabelas-ca...tion-business/

Looks like I'll avoid Cabela's a little more than usual now.
And yes, I am a current veteran serving 27yrs so far.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:45 PM

Arrow Tip O' The Iceberg !

Sad news for sure, but the worst is yet to come.

And some people here are glad to see Wholesale Sports go ... fools!

Selkirk
Old 10-05-2017, 07:50 PM

Cabelas only offered the discount because WSS did.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:55 PM

Now is the time to really support the little shops.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:06 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

They will turn this around like other goof ups before and make it right...I hope.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Now is the time to really support the little shops.
What little shops? The little shops I know are just licking their chops because they do not have to match the big stores.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
They will turn this around like other goof ups before and make it right...I hope.
I sure hope they do, but I think they are hurting and grasping to survive themselves.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
What little shops? The little shops I know are just licking their chops because they do not have to match the big stores.
Unfortunetly i have to agree. Theres a lot of talk aboit supporting you local ahop and i will when they treat thei customers better. Getting screwed by a chain is the same as a mom an pop shop
Old 10-05-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Unfortunetly i have to agree. Theres a lot of talk aboit supporting you local ahop and i will when they treat thei customers better. Getting screwed by a chain is the same as a mom an pop shop
I deal with a small shop in BC. Bought almost every gun I own from him. Most honest guy ever and goes above and beyond. T&T arms.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Everyone is out to make a buck, how you go about that is what defines you as a small or large business.

Had a chat with a fella that runs a great local automotive business, he said I am not out to screw people over but I like to eat too, I would sooner shave off a few bucks or hundreds of bucks, have word of mouth, great service etc and have lots of people come by then only have 4 a month swing by and get taken for...his business is super busy, has two mechanics full time, and is doing really well...this small town business approach has it right.

Now some really need to shake thier head as I would rather spend the 100 bucks in gas to drive to a larger centre for the discounted prices especially when purchasing large ticketed items etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2017, 06:28 AM

Bad business and communication move by Cabelas. There are other options out there. While this may not hurt the majority of their business there will be people that shift where they buy from. I moved away from Wholesale for a specific reason on how they treat customers the same can happen to Cabelas.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
When I worked part time in one of the larger stores I often made a call to one of the smaller shops when we were out of a certain product. Without exception the smaller shop charged significantly more. Some do not mind paying more and are willing to drive, but for me even though I live close to one of those smaller shops and their staff is great, unless I need something right now I will drive for the better price.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
When I worked part time in one of the larger stores I often made a call to one of the smaller shops when we were out of a certain product. Without exception the smaller shop charged significantly more. Some do not mind paying more and are willing to drive, but for me even though I live close to one of those smaller shops and their staff is great, unless I need something right now I will drive for the better price.
Bass |Pro has had a serviceman discount since they opened their doors. All you have to do is show your card at the till and the discount is applied.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
To expect a small shop with their limited purchasing power to be able to match the prices offered by large chains that sell multiple millions of dollars of inventory is just plain silly. Costco sells their products at just enough to cover their costs, straight breakeven. All of their profit comes from their membership fees.

How in the heck would any small store be able to match their massive buying power and their membership model. Same is true of someone like P and D or Prophet River trying to compete against Cabelas/Bass Pro conglomerate who use their U.S. and Canadian volumes to extract huge volume discounts from suppliers.

Bass Pro bought Cabela's for 5.5 Billion. Here is some summary info on Cabelas financial performance.

Quote:
Financial Performance

Cabela's sales have risen more than 40% since 2011 mostly as the retailer has more than doubled its store count from 34 to 77 at the end of 2015. While its profits are 30% higher over the same period, Cabela's profits have been trending downward since 2013 as it's incurred higher overhead costs to support new store expansion.

The retailer's revenue jumped 10% to $3.99 billion during fiscal 2016 (ended January 2, 2016), mainly thanks to higher merchandise sales stemming from 13 new retail stores openings, but also because the retailer added an additional week to its fiscal year which added $84 million in sales. Comparable store sales shrank 3.4% during the year due to a decline in clothing and footwear product sales. Also among comparable stores, transaction volumes fell 6.2% while average sales per transaction rose 4.4%. The company's financial services division grew by 15% on interest from higher credit card balances, while the Direct division's sales tumbled 3% as unseasonably warmer weather hurt winter clothing sales and as it transferred its ammunition sales from online to retail.

Despite strong revenue growth in FY2016, Cabela's net income sunk 6% to $189.33 million as it spent more toward its growth in building new stores and raising incentive compensation, incurred impairment charges on some of its stores, and faced higher corporate office restructuring costs during the year. The retailer's operating cash levels climbed 27% to $326.9 million on higher cash earnings and because it used less cash toward inventory and decreased its income tax receivables balance.
Bass Pros Gross sales are over 4.5 Billion a year. Between the two that is almost 9 Billion a year in sales.

Wholesale was selling about 11 million a year TOTAL. Can you say fly on the Elephant's azz.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
To expect a small shop with their limited purchasing power to be able to match the prices offered by large chains that sell multiple millions of dollars of inventory is just plain silly.
I never have expected smaller stores to match prices nor have I ever asked but it is a simple fact that they charge more. Because of that, unless I really need or want something right now I put off most purchases for a time when I am closer to one of the big stores.

At one of those small stores I wanted to buy an outdoor edge knife. Small operation wanted $55.00 plus. Flyer at the tire has them for $29.99. Ruger American Rifles over $600.00 at small store and the tire had same for $429.00 Even special ordered caliber of my choice.

As much as I like the small operators I do not feel like supporting them out of my hard to come by funds.

I remember the old days. Often the smaller stores sold for less because overhead was less. Maybe selling for less is the reason why they are not around? Anyway I hope that Cabelas and Bass do well with their new lock on the competition.

If the smaller stores deserve to stay in business they will, and I wish them luck as well.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:41 PM

I don't have a problem paying a bit more like around 10% depending on the item, but when a small store is 30-40% higher than another place it's hard to support that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2017, 05:45 PM

Same store growth is one of the biggest factors to tell how you are doing. Anyone can open a bunch more stores and say revenue increased. When I managed retail we had a few crazy years SSG was mid 20 per cent. Unreal but couldnt last and company knew it. Their same store sales were not great from what I recall and was part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
To expect a small shop with their limited purchasing power to be able to match the prices offered by large chains that sell multiple millions of dollars of inventory is just plain silly. Costco sells their products at just enough to cover their costs, straight breakeven. All of their profit comes from their membership fees.

How in the heck would any small store be able to match their massive buying power and their membership model. Same is true of someone like P and D or Prophet River trying to compete against Cabelas/Bass Pro conglomerate who use their U.S. and Canadian volumes to extract huge volume discounts from suppliers.

Bass Pro bought Cabela's for 5.5 Billion. Here is some summary info on Cabelas financial performance.

Bass Pros Gross sales are over 4.5 Billion a year. Between the two that is almost 9 Billion a year in sales.

Wholesale was selling about 11 million a year TOTAL. Can you say fly on the Elephant's azz.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

What a greasy move, lots of good companies on cgn, thanks for your service
Old 10-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Banned

Prophet river, pnd and Amazon are my first stops generally. After that it's off to cgn to check out the sponsors.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:33 AM

I'll definitely be looking at other options if that's the case and I don't even qualify for any kindvof discount.

They should give service people and seniors discounts. Period...

Service people for obvious reasons and seniors because they've supported and mentored the outdoors community for many years. The stores made the money on the seniors years ago... Markups are big enough that 10% really isn't that hard of a pill to swallow.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
I'll definitely be looking at other options if that's the case and I don't even qualify for any kindvof discount.

They should give service people and seniors discounts. Period...

Service people for obvious reasons and seniors because they've supported and mentored the outdoors community for many years. The stores made the money on the seniors years ago... Markups are big enough that 10% really isn't that hard of a pill to swallow.
and oil workers, people who work in hospitals, city workers, fed employees, bank employees (just the tellers though), students for sure. Anyone else come to mind?
Old 10-07-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
and oil workers, people who work in hospitals, city workers, fed employees, bank employees (just the tellers though), students for sure. Anyone else come to mind?
Nope, none of those. Aren't you just a joy.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:38 PM

I actually had no idea this account existed prior to seeing this thread.

It's a nice jesture, but essentially I do agree with the fact "why do they have to offer this discount"? Do these groups of people pay less at grocery stores? Hardware stores? Not that I am aware of. My dad and I stopped at the liquor store once somewhere in Alberta (I do not remember where) and he received a 5 or 10% seniors discount and I thought it was a nice jesture on their part (in spite of being weird, meaning why would they?), but it would not have prevented me from shopping there if they have cancelled it since and I actually lived near by to be shopping there.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:30 AM

It would be naïve to expect no changes with the takeover of Cabela's.
I do not see removing Hometown Heroes discount as a biggie.

It remains to be seen if the store changes substantially or minimally.

Cabela's is just a big box retailer that brought unprecedented choice to our very small Canadian market, and better customer service than ever seen at Wholesale Sports.

I personally do not like Bass Pro, but we'll wait and see.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:00 AM

Total BS article, hometown heroes discount event still going, next one planned for Rememberance day weekend. Military, first responders, firefighters and paramedics..
Old 10-08-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your service! Crappy move on Cabela's part, it is not like they are still making a profit after any discount.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:

funker530? Seriously...........

“Boy Trapped in Locker, Eats Own Foot”
Old 11-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Banned

Hometown Heroes appreciation is still a go.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:02 PM

Apparently so. Thanks for posting
Old 11-07-2017, 08:43 PM

You are fake news. Its listed on their website