Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2015, 07:55 PM

Default Argh. Calgary changes all school zones to playground zones

This is very annoying. Even private schools with no playgrounds now have playground zones.

Be careful Calgary. Just a matter of time before police start to make money ticketing folks that didn't notice the new playground zones.

They are now active weekends and holidays.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-12-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
This is very annoying. Even private schools with no playgrounds now have playground zones.

Be careful Calgary. Just a matter of time before police start to make money ticketing folks that didn't notice the new playground zones.

Already happening, first weekend they changed them in Arbour lake---speed trap set up
Old 12-12-2015, 08:19 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Don't schools have playgrounds located on or near by? So you got to slow down a bit, no big deal, hit a kid....now you got a big deal.

Just slow down, make the trip save for all.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-12-2015, 08:36 PM

Didn't this start happening like 6 months ago? Why is it a big deal now? Shift into 2nd gear when entering school/playground zones. No problem. If you need to be on time, give yourself an extra minute and a half.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-12-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Didn't this start happening like 6 months ago? Why is it a big deal now? Shift into 2nd gear when entering school/playground zones. No problem. If you need to be on time, give yourself an extra minute and a half.
What he said^.
If "irritating" 100,000 drivers by making them drive slower saves one child. It's worth it.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:41 PM

Great idea! The schools here are like community centers. There is seldom a weekend or evening there isn't something going on. I could never understand the times on school zones as kids are coming and going all the time.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:45 PM

Medicine Hat is the same School/playground.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:12 PM

I took my driver's test in Calgary a numbers of years ago. It was midday on a weekday at the very end of June. I didn't know if the kids were out of school or not, last week in June and all and I was from out of town. Played it safe and went 30 km/h through 3 school zones. Got 20 points docked in each one for not obeying signs and too slow for conditions.

I'm now vindicated.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Don't schools have playgrounds located on or near by? So you got to slow down a bit, no big deal, hit a kid....now you got a big deal.

Just slow down, make the trip save for all.
I have a school nearby...private school...no playground...just a building so School zone made sense.

Now suddenly it is a playground zone. No warning signs of a changed rule.

So for everyone reading...weekends and holidays with no school...likely it is now a playground zone. Slow down.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-12-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I have a school nearby...private school...no playground...just a building so School zone made sense.

So for everyone reading...weekends and holidays with no school...likely it is now a playground zone. Slow down.
Just checked. This was done on Jul. 22.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...ne-safety.aspx

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-12-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Just checked. This was done on Jul. 22.

Not sure when they made the decision...however this one was changed about 2-3 weeks ago.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Suddenly? Without warning??

It's only been on every news website and tv story for months as well as the city of Calgary's website for over a year. As well CPS had an ad campaign warning drivers of the change weeks before it started.

Where have you been??

http://globalnews.ca/news/2176343/sl...yground-zones/

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...gary-1.3198229

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...back-to-school

There was even a thread about it on here:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=263094
Old 12-12-2015, 11:17 PM

Not too bothered about the zone change, but my gripe would be the time of day that the zone ends. What was wrong with the one hour after sunset? How many kids are still out at 2100 when its -20 in january, but on the other hand kids can still be out at 2200 in the middle of summer when its ok to zoom through doing 50kmh.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wack99 View Post
Not too bothered about the zone change, but my gripe would be the time of day that the zone ends. What was wrong with the one hour after sunset? How many kids are still out at 2100 when its -20 in january, but on the other hand kids can still be out at 2200 in the middle of summer when its ok to zoom through doing 50kmh.
Calgary drivers can't even figure out that they need to have their lights on when it's dark. Best to give them a fixed time.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:17 AM

Thumbs up Long overdue, and welcome news!

Quote:

...Calgary changes all school zones to playground zones . . .

I made that ^ suggestion to Calgary City Council almost ten years ago, to the day. Sadly, they pretty much laughed at me, and couldn't even bother to make my suggestion official.

How times have changed ... He who laughs last, laughs best!

Mac
Old 12-13-2015, 01:21 AM

I like it at least now you know what is up.
I would like pedestrians to become more careful. They walk across an intersection without looking left or right. Some poor driver is halfway through an intersection and someone walks out in front of him. Yes the driver gets the blame.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:27 AM
Banned

I don't like it. Teach kids to pay more attention to their surroundings, way to many kids just saunter around without knowing their surroundings. Playground zones should go to 40 km/hr.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Great idea! The schools here are like community centers. There is seldom a weekend or evening there isn't something going on. I could never understand the times on school zones as kids are coming and going all the time.
Thats a good point... not sure many people think about that.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
I don't like it. Teach kids to pay more attention to their surroundings, way to many kids just saunter around without knowing their surroundings. Playground zones should go to 40 km/hr.
I like it. Teach drivers to show some respect on the road. Way too many drivers just speeding around without any respect for how the mind of a 5 year old child works. 30 is a great speed to stop quickly when an innocent child is having fun.

Cheers
Old 12-13-2015, 08:27 AM

Not sure if I hav n opinion on this either way.asanyone tried to pull stats on kids hit in school zones, pg zones etc? Is a problem being solved? Or do we just feel better ,you know, cause of change?
Old 12-13-2015, 09:44 AM

This is literally a "if it saves one life" situation which I agree with. I like that they are all the same now and it's an extra second or two to slow down through a short section. Lives will only change for the better.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:

I warned you guys months ago about this
Old 12-13-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Next move is all city residential roads to be 40km/hr
Old 12-13-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Next move is all city residential roads to be 40km/hr
I walked up to our local CT the other night, and was amazed at how many people are running yellow / red lights. Something one doesn't notice while driving. I say bring on a reduced limit within residential streets.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Oh, is that all you need to do??!! "Teach the kids to pay more attention". Ahh, thank you Doctor Spock. Is that what you did when you raised your children? You just taught them to be more aware and not run out into the road when chasing a ball, seeing a friend, crossing the street, etc, etc. How did your child rearing go for you? Please share with us parents how to raise a child so that a 4,000 lb car cruising at them at 50 feet per second is no threat.

The difference between travelling through an average school zone at 50 kmh and 30 kmh is around 11 seconds. 11 whole seconds. Your time is that valuable huh?

Conversely the difference in stopping distance and reaction time between the two speeds can be OVER 50 FEET!!!

If you DO happen to hit someone, consider this:
Quote:
55 per cent of pedestrians will be killed in a collision if you’re driving 50 km/h
5 per cent of pedestrians will be killed in a collision if you’re driving 30 km/h

So there's an additional 45% survival factor by doing 30 km/h!!

So your commute is 11 seconds longer, but you feel it's your right to lose 50 feet of stopping distance, and increase the fatality rate by 45%, just because "kids should be taught to be more aware".

I sure hope your parenting skills change if the day ever comes that you have children.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I like it. We live at the end of a school zone and my son waits at the crosswalk every morning as people just rip by him. He absolutely will not step out until both directions stop and I've told him to make sure he makes eye contact with the driver. People just plain do not pay attention while driving anymore. It's a fact. A small inconvenience is worth it if it saves one child's life. Deal with it.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
I warned you guys months ago about this
It was almost 4 months ago, right amid a whole advertising campaign put on by the city and the CPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Suddenly? Without warning??

There was even a thread about it on here:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=263094
Old 12-13-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
It was almost 4 months ago, right amid a whole advertising campaign put on by the city and the CPS.
Way more important wordly problems to solve than to be tuned into local community.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Take a look around adults walking with thier freaking phones out texting, if we can't get adults to smarten up then we need to at least give the kids a fighting chance, everyone put your phones away while driving, walking etc adhere to speed limits and relax behind the wheel.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-13-2015, 10:54 AM

No offense to you specifically Sundance because there have been several threads on people complaining about driving and speed limits before. In general people drive too damn fast everywhere, not to mention flat out, the amount of bad drivers out there today whether they are not paying attention or are just plain stupid.

You have to drive defensively and watch like a hawk. Without exaggeration, almost every day I either avoid or witness stupid and irresponsible driving.

And so now are people really annoyed about having to slow down in areas where children frequent? Come on already.......

Sure signs should be posted, etc., but anyone driving should be aware enough to anticipate areas where extra care should be taken.