Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2015, 05:30 PM

Default Kayak questions.

So,
Decided I'd like to get into Kayaking. Been thinking about it for some, but 2016 is going to be the year it happens.
I was looking for some input on brands/models.
My price range is up to around the $1,500 however, less is always better.
I'd like to use it to explore around, perhaps do some over night trips, and I'd like the option to fish in it occasionally as well. I make it out to the coast at times so, it would be best to be able to handle some waves without the tipping experience.
Let me know what your suggestions are. Thanks,
H1602
Old 12-12-2015, 07:01 PM

Wait till spring and summer Canadian tire has the Pelicans on sale then.
We bought one this past summer and used it quite abit . it is a great cheap way to get on the water.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Banned

Pelicans are not very stable; their only advantage is low price but you get what you pay for.
MEC has an annual "paddlefest" where their product lines are available for free demo paddles. Don't know when the Calgary one is but I imagine it's on the website.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:07 PM

We have a couple of pelicans - they are OK

On the rivers, they are pretty good. I've taken them out into the inside passage, but they are not built for the sea. After using full on sea kayaks the pelicans make me nervous and I don't go too far out with them. Maybe I would have been more confident if I'd had a wetsuit.

Thing is I cant spend the money on sea kayaks for a family of four to use once a year.

Pelicans...yeah they are ok

When you buy a lifejacket, buy one of the ones that look like a triangle from the front, and make sure you get the right size and type of paddle.

Last edited by Heyupduck; 12-12-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:24 PM

i like to do some of the big inland lakes, and use it on the coast sometimes. used to rent but ended up getting a 14ft Wilderness Designs Tsunami in rotomold.

really like this boat, able to carry a whack of camera gear, is tough, stable and reasonably fast. used it on about a dozen trips up the bears paw reservoir to Cochrane this fall and it handled it all well.

about 1300 CDN.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 12-12-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Grab a decent boat to begin with

Skip the can tire stuff and go right to a comfortable and stable boat. Most of the shops in Alberta will let you try a few different boats for a week-end before you buy. (Valhalla in Red Deer is great). Try a few first and find out what works for you. Also; consider racking and how you are going to get it to the water.
Good Luck
Old 12-12-2015, 08:27 PM

I have had a predator k-111 for 8 yrs and completely satisfied with it. Its made for fishing and very steady when setting up on a fish as your setting low and not on top. No issues with speed either but then again I don't get into a hurry unless a storm comes. It fits in the back of my truck and fish remote lakes and ponds. Even handled some category 4 white water too. No complaints here.

Bobby
Old 12-12-2015, 09:21 PM

For the price you are looking at Wilderness systems are a poly boat that is descent quality. The cheap recreational boats will generally be very stable compared to a better quality touring boat. Because they are short and fat (slow and painfully to paddle) touring boats are long skinny (much nicer to paddle, but generally less stable) you can get in to other factors like chines, primary and secondary stability. But generally if you are touring you want a long skinny boat and want to learn how to roll. (Its easy in a long skinny boat).
Brad
Old 12-12-2015, 11:20 PM

I have a 10 foot long Feel Free Moken 10 sit on top.

It's very stable, comes with rod holders and a very comfortable seat, over 400 pound weight carrying capacity.

It's heavy at 70 pounds of weight and a little awkward to handle as it's 3 feet wide and a foot deep. It's also not the fastest there is.

For me stability and comfort are more important than speed.