Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2015, 12:25 PM

Default Truck Recommendations

Hey all,

Looking to buy a truck...never had one before but find I'm needing one more n more for work. Not to mention it'd be nice for winter driving. Don't need anything really big...thinking a 1500. Was also considering a Honda Ridgeline....

Thoughts?
Old 12-12-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grounds Coffee View Post
Hey all,

Looking to buy a truck...never had one before but find I'm needing one more n more for work. Not to mention it'd be nice for winter driving. Don't need anything really big...thinking a 1500. Was also considering a Honda Ridgeline....

Thoughts?
Ridgeline is a great vehicle but they do not have any new ones out yet I have had 2 currently driving a 15 Toyota Tundra and love it
Old 12-12-2015, 12:39 PM

You will get lot's of opinions, depending on towing needs, etc. I have owned a truck in one form or another all my life, all Nissan's or Toyota's. All the Toyota's have been outstanding, the Nissan's great with the exception of a 2007 Titan that fell apart/failed piece by piece. I took a risk this year and bought a 2015 F150 2.7L eco-boost, 4x4 sport model. Crazy price discounts and negotiated a bunch of other things. Mileage is better than my Tacoma, tows better and is, so far, a great vehicle.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 12-12-2015, 01:07 PM

I really don't usually discourage somebody from a purchase however, I would stay away from the ridge line, specially if you plan on towing. Before you make a decision check out the Nissan Frontier, this truck has great capabilities. Towing capability of 6300 to 6500lbs (pending on model) exceptional excelleration, great off roading capabilities, and a good price point. I just sold my 2008 and 2012 to upgrade to a half ton, and I regret selling my 08. I just purchased a Ford F-150 with the 3.5l Eco boost, and boy is she a Great work truck. 12200lbs towing with 3300lbs payload. I believe both of those are highest in their class. Originally preferring gmc large trucks, I am very happy with my new Ford. Good luck in your search!!!
Old 12-12-2015, 01:28 PM

Toyota Tundra for this boy if I ever want another truck.
But you can't get 'em with a standard anymore and can't even order one, so a standard Tacoma might be better.

BTW, I don't understand what's with these "7-speed transmissions" in the Tundra. Who the 'heck' needs something like that?

Last edited by stuckincity; 12-12-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:33 PM

When it comes to trucks knowing what I know now, I would look at a gm product I stayed away from them for years not only because they were generally a lot more money but also seemed to be behind the time in option ect....but by far the best overall truck I've owned so you do get what you pay for in my opinion. Just not looking forward for the day when I need a new one. Good luck
Old 12-12-2015, 01:35 PM

X2 on the Tundra. Ive got a 2015 1794 Edition and it is great. I went from a 1 ton diesel to this and absolutely love it.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:44 PM

Love my 14 Tundra. Had a very bad experience with a 2012 5L F150, spent more time at the mechanics than in my driveway. So glad when I dumped it.

I've had my Tundra since Jan 2014 and LOVE it. Its never needed anything but maintenance and being a farm truck, it works HARD.

If I totalled it tomorrow, I'd go buy as identical a replacement as possible.

I don't consider a Ridgeline to be a real truck. Might be handy enough for someone living in town that occasionally needs to bring a few 2x4's home or something, but as someone mentioned above, they have limits, more limits than a regular 1/2 ton.

Not worth the $ IMO and I do generally like Honda vehicles. Had an Odyssey for over 10 years that was so dependable and never needed anything more than regular maintenance and it had over 350000 km's on it when we replaced it with a truck and we still sold it for $3500. It was heavily abused in the early days when we needed a truck, but couldn't quite afford to pay cash yet.

Good luck!
Starr
Old 12-12-2015, 01:49 PM

What is your budget ?? New or used ??

This will greatly factor, in my opinion, on what you "should" get.

We bought a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport in August for the wife with 100,300km. I got an amazing deal - paid 18k cash. Large cab (5,5' box), 8 speed transmission, Hemi, leather, full sized infotainment screen, etc.

My daily driver is a Megacab Cummins...but I find myself "stealing" the wifes truck whenever I can for daily driving - its that much nicer to drive (spilled coffee anyone??).

If money was no object, i'd drive a new Toyota Tundra or a Ram Ecodiesel. The new Nissan with the 5.0L Cummins looks nice too! Heard Toyoya may be receiving the same engine - that would be the ultimate half ton.

Anyways give us some more details!
Old 12-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr View Post
Had a very bad experience with a 2012 5L F150, spent more time at the mechanics than in my driveway. So glad when I dumped it.
Starr
If you "hate Fords" you might like this.

A oldie but a goodie!
Old 12-12-2015, 02:03 PM

Everyone will have an opinion but as far as a true truck goes I would go Toyota if all you need is a 1/2 ton. Very well made and hold their resale pretty well. Don't get great gas mileage, the Dodge 5.7 litre 1500 actually does a lot better and has better power output. Cost 31.000 for the SLT including GST, so if you plan to keep it till the wheels fall off, costs quite a bit less to start with.

The Ridge line is a car that has been lifted with 4x4. Personally, I want an 8' box and 4 seats so my only choices are full size domestics. In those, Dodge or GM are my choice, never had any luck with the Fords I owned.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:39 PM

No matter what ......... don't buy the first model year of a new engine, transmission or major component from ANY manufacturer. You will end up a test pilot and guinea pig who will end up frustrated.

I've made this mistake a few times and regretted it every time.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:48 PM

Toyota Tundra, I have the SR5 plus 4x4 with double cab and 8' box and the 5.7 engine, this is a dependable truck! Did not need all the bells and whistles of the limited and platinum, although they were nice!

The 8' box is nice for packing all your hunt'n and fish'n gear, and the double cab is great for bringing the dog along, lots of space in the back seat area as the seats fold up and out of the way, and you can remove the underseat storage box for even more space.

Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 12-12-2015, 03:52 PM

not true ............ bought a honda ridgeline, never mind new components, first time making a truck. Have had zero recalls!

I just bought a new 15 Ram 1500 that is 4th gen so been out for 3-4 years, already had 2 recalls in 2 months of owning. urghhhhhhhhhhh. Still luv my Ram though, balsy and comfort. No complaints on my Honda period and not selling it, driver till she drops. For a guy that needs a box, great resale and mileage, awesome winter vehicle bar none, sorry cant beat it. towing, nope not the vehicle for you, lacks power period. i tow lots with it, but hence why I bought a new truck. 350,000 km and have not put a penny in it period, faithful on fluid changes and general maintenance, ie brakes, rubber. wouldnt hesitate as a daily driver. its honda, it just works. no big bells or whisles. This Ram Sport has more bells and whistles which I may curse down the road. I wasnt going to pay $8-10k premium on a Tundra that rides rough and lacking in keeping up with other manufacturers in technology, so time will tell if made right decision. who knows, its a crap shoot on domestic these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
No matter what ......... don't buy the first model year of a new engine, transmission or major component from ANY manufacturer. You will end up a test pilot and guinea pig who will end up frustrated.

I've made this mistake a few times and regretted it every time.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
Toyota Tundra, I have the SR5 plus 4x4 with double cab and 8' box and the 5.7 engine, this is a dependable truck! Did not need all the bells and whistles of the limited and platinum, although they were nice!

The 8' box is nice for packing all your hunt'n and fish'n gear, and the double cab is great for bringing the dog along, lots of space in the back seat area as the seats fold up and out of the way, and you can remove the underseat storage box for even more space.

Just my 2 cents worth!
There ain't pennies no more so you mean your nickles worth....don't you?

Anyway when it comes to the Tundra I agree with you. Love the 8' box. But I don't want or need the "crew cab" or "super cab" or whatever they might call it now. My 3 kids are grown and gone and buy their own trucks.
I only want the 2-door extended-cab which is real hard to find and that really bugs me.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:43 PM

Im leaning towards dodge or chevy and maybe ford. Not a fan of GMC or toyota...

Basically need something bigger than a car to fit all my tools in and something better for driving onto job sites as well as winter driving. Not gonna be doing really any towing.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Basically need something bigger than a car to fit all my tools in and something better for driving onto job sites as well as winter driving. Not gonna be doing really any towing.
get a Dodge then. bang for your buck. decent truck.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
get a Dodge then. bang for your buck. decent truck.
Cheap for a reason, they are Horrible trucks. No truck falls apart faster. Know lots of people that bought them, myself included and not one of them bought a second one. Nice lookin, nice driving trucks but they just arnt reliable. They should just include a spare transmission for the inevitable. Some might get a lot of miles out of theirs but they are the exception, not the rule.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:36 PM

Default Truck choice

My oldest son has a Tundra and I have a Tacoma.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:08 PM

I'm currently driving a 2013 GMC 1500 with the 6.2L engine. In all honesty, I'm extremely happy with it. It drives great, tows really well, has all kinds of get up and go, and is giving me 19mpg lifetime and 12.9mpg towing our holiday trailer (8600lbs loaded). I've had a gas 3/4ton and this truck is better overall with regard to the drivetrain (not the same suspension or brakes). Compared to my brother's 2011 Ram 1500, even he would buy the GMC if he could do it again despite the cost difference. Just my $0.02.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Funny you say that, as gmc has been in bed with Toyota for many years now, however Chevy is owned by gmc, and virtually the same truck. Do yourself a big favor and access a subscription to Consumer Reports, this is a wealth of information, by unbiased purchasers. Cost is 36$ but can also be accessed from your local library. All manufacturers have positive, and negative qualities, for example, your Chevy has a solid bulletproof 5.3 l engine, however their rear end is known to slop out. The ford Eco boost has tons of power, however people have complained about the drive shaft! The story goes on with all manufacturers from Toyota to dodge. Remember also that ALL domestic vehicles have increased in quality since Dodge and Gmc almost crashed in 2008, this is to compete with the foreign markets, as they were, and probably still are dominating the market. I found that the consumer reports really helped with my ford purchase, however they all make a pretty good product!!! Good luck!!
Old 12-12-2015, 11:33 PM

I have head 4 brand new trucks since 03. An 03 tundra, 05 duramax, 07 chev 3/4 ton gasser, and 13 f150 5.0

Hands down the Toyota was the best truck. That's easily my pick for best truck out there.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:14 AM

Lots of tundra owners, who knew! I agree tundra is the best truck out there. I'm about to get my second one soon and based on the first one, I'm sure it'll work exceptionally well.

My neighbour has a ram with the 8 speed transmission and he gets amazing fuel mileage... That would be a second choice.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:26 AM

I have a 2013 F150 3.5 L ecoboost, the son has a 2014 F150 5L V8 we both love the our trucks. I get about 10 - 11 L/100km hiway, son gets about 11 - 12 L/100km hiway.

Some good prices should be coming in Jan / Feb for 2015 models as the dealers need to clear them out.

If I had to get another, it would be the F150

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:12 AM

My 2007 Tundra has had regular oil and filter changes, and the tires were changed out, but other than that, it hasn't required required any other parts or maintenance.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:59 AM
Banned

I have a ram diesel 2500 love it. However looking for. 1/2 tundra the best only down fall poor gas mileage and small fuel tank
Old 12-13-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post

If money was no object, i'd drive a new Toyota Tundra or a Ram Ecodiesel.
When I went to buy a new truck I priced out the Ford F150 King Ranch, Dodge 1500 Long Horn, GMC 1500 Denali and the Toyota Tundra 1794. All four trucks are very close in comparable options.
The Tundras sticker price alone was 10K cheaper than any of the other three. 10K cheaper before I even spoke to a salesman.
I test drove the Tundra, King Ranch and Denali, apparently Dodge in Lloydminster was to busy to return my call. The Tundra is by far and away the better truck of those 3.
The only complaint I have about my Tundra is the fuel mileage is nothing to brag about, but I didnt buy a truck for the fuel mileage.
Im a consultant in the oilfield and put on a ton of km's, 46,000 since may 28th when I bought the truck. No issues so far, runs like a dream and tons of power.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notpoliticallycorrect View Post
I have a ram diesel 2500 love it. However looking for. 1/2 tundra the best only down fall poor gas mileage and small fuel tank
The Toyota dealer in Lloydminster has told me 2016 they will have the 140L fuel tank as an option
Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Apart from a grills and emblems Chevy and gmc are the same products.
Have a f150 ecoboost field truck, it has lots of bells and whistles but the digital heads up cluster and climate/radio display keeps failing past -25.
Have 3 gm trucks at home now, parts are cheap. Decent stuff for the money.

If it's something small you want(less than 3/4 ton) buy a private sale used gm product. Lots of deals these days.

My 0.02...
Old 12-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Banned

I'm on my second F-150
Trying the Eco boost this time around.

I'd recommend them.