Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 09:25 AM

The anonymity we are afforded has a price, that being that we need to play nice. As Canadians, we value "freedom of speech", but exercising that right comes with the responsibility to own what we say. Simple ... want to speak your truth, reveal your identity ... want to use a social media alias, stay back from the line.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
Sometimes a sweeping change of management ( mods. & admin. )is the best thing for a company. I'm not saying the management ( mods. & admin.)is doing anything wrong now. There just following the direction that they are directed to do by the owner.
Management does get into a rut sometimes, and just can't get out.
With new management you will get new fresh ideas. You get new ideas to improve what we have now. It all starts from the top. A change is always good.
And on that note, I would like to thank the Admin. and mods. for the thankless work that they do.
kinda like this ^^^... sometimes i think that mods changed annually or at least more often keeps things fresh and real .. in another forum .. a bc forum there is one main bully mod that simply keeps me from wanting to post much on there

all good forums have trouble makers .. a tough 3 strikes and you are out is a good method of dealling with trouble makers ..one post on this thread even mentioned they like it .. argueing .. fire or something ...

this is a great forum of some real real good people ... general discuss is a great thread all unto itself ... burn delete and raise **** with trouble makers .. not with the gen discuss thread like others have sdaid it will just move to another thread trapping or what ever ...

put up for a vote i would vote more /differant mods and burn the flamers .. we all know who they are ..
thanks rob .. keep the gen discussion ...

i love AO .. i try to control what i can control not what others say .. i can only control how i deal with asshats here or in the real world ..
Old 12-12-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Some character with a Canadian flag for an avatar told us in a thread that was pulled down- wherein someone questioned why another thread was pulled down- that the best way to get a thread deleted was to insult the host. "Something is rank around here" quoth he. A thread about the histrionics of saying goodbye.

That's not working in this thread. But some of the long timers are deleted, and that may be a good thing.

Free
So there is tolerance, within a respectful degree?
Old 12-12-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
First off, this is Rob Miskosky's site. He makes the rules. It is also his business, and if he feels some of the discussions are badly reflecting upon his business, then he can change any dang thing he wants, and it doesn't qualify as censorship, IMO. If you don't like that too bad. Go somewhere else.

I openly asked for a banning of all political discussion because it had become so ridiculous. Recently, if an outsider or newcomer were to read many of the threads, I would not be surprised if they thought that this forum is populated by a bunch of racists or white supremacists. That is what has caused this. It's pretty simple.

I have thought for about a year that if you permanently banned 5-10 people who are constantly taking threads in a negative slant, and belittling anyone who doesn't drink their bile, the whole complexion of the General Discussion forum would change. It would send a message, and if others followed suit, and were quickly banned, then people would know they mean business.
Agreed with the part about the 5-10 trouble makers who think they are cleverly funny. But are just pot stirrers!!!!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:47 AM

OP Needs a timeout. He's been around long enough to know this would happen!!!!!
(Wow, kinda glad it was my work Xmas party last night.....think I'll extend that party to include today!!!! Crack.....beer #2) lol.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
So there is tolerance, within a respectful degree?
Tolerance and respect are two different things. Apparently we are not going to tolerate disrespectful posters. According to Admin. that type of member will be invited to leave. And crunchie version 2.0 is going to have to live with that. We all do.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
OP Needs a timeout. He's been around long enough to know this would happen!!!!!
(Wow, kinda glad it was my work Xmas party last night.....think I'll extend that party to include today!!!! Crack.....beer #2) lol.
This is a man after my own heart!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:57 AM

Really enjoying this forum and will be sad to see these topics to go. Politics and religion - especially some- are going head to head with our everyday life. There are lots of things that I learned from other forum members. People here are the wealth of knowledge, I couldn't even imagine that I will be spending so much time reading thru the posts. I do enjoy reading about politics and religion, I do not like when members start calling each other names and "jumpstart" each other.
I wouldn't want it to go....
Old 12-12-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Tolerance and respect are two different things. Apparently we are not going to tolerate disrespectful posters. According to Admin. that type of member will be invited to leave. And crunchie version 2.0 is going to have to live with that. We all do.
Crunches made a decision based on his morals and ethics and I applaud him for that, he was tolerant and respectful, but, reached the point where he didn't want to be associated with AO. Don't try and make him look like the reason for this thread.

Those that preach tolerance are usually the ones who need a spoonful of there own medicine.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:18 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Really enjoying this forum and will be sad to see these topics to go. Politics and religion - especially some- are going head to head with our everyday life. There are lots of things that I learned from other forum members. People here are the wealth of knowledge, I couldn't even imagine that I will be spending so much time reading thru the posts. I do enjoy reading about politics and religion, I do not like when members start calling each other names and "jumpstart" each other.
I wouldn't want it to go....
I think part of the problem is the mindset among some who are always respectful and polite only to those with the same opinions and politics, but anybody who does not think identically gets aggressively berated, insulted and chastised to no end. It is sad to see otherwise everyday people become so rude it is unbearable because they have the ability to be faceless with a keyboard.

They call themselves oldschool, but really they behave worse than most of todays disrectful teenagers. Oldschool people where I come from were the types who would live by the code of not saying anything if you had nothing good nice to say, and to treat others with respect if you wanted to be respected back.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchiespgspg View Post
You do realise it was admin who made this thread and it was 4 pages long when I saw it. As a result of this I ASKED to leave.
The only read I am here now is I would like my account deactivated rather than banned because I use the same screen name elsewhere. And if people are in dealings with me and see I was banned it may reflect badly on me.
I'm leaving because I don't want to be part of something that caves in to the nanny crowd. I didn't have any companies or warnings directed to me. But I do not want to be a part of it. We have enough nanny state interference in life without having it in optional things like this forum.
I actually don't really care. Lol, my post had nothing to do about you. Didn't even realize you posted in it.(never read the whole thread) carry on.....
Old 12-12-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
Crunches made a decision based on his morals and ethics and I applaud him for that, he was tolerant and respectful, but, reached the point where he didn't want to be associated with AO. Don't try and make him look like the reason for this thread.

Those that preach tolerance are usually the ones who need a spoonful of there own medicine.
That is the best post yet pertaining to this thread.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:22 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I asked to leave. No one warned me or told me anything. Unlike some here I was able to have discussions without being abusive to others. Hence why it was my choice.

The ban is listed as under my request. All I ask is it is deactivated not banned.
For somebody who doesn't want to be involved with this forum, asking to have yourself removed, then creating a new identity to complain even further, you really seem to want to stick around...

Sorry I realised that sounded bad. What I mean to say is why don't you just stick around and make your points where you can? You seem to want to be here...
Old 12-12-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I'm here purely to get the other account deactivated rather than banned.
I've explained why multiple times.

I can't send pm on this account so I'm hoping admin reads these requests.
Why not just stop posting and go to other forums? This crusade of yours is odd to me.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
For somebody who doesn't want to be involved with this forum, asking to have yourself removed, then creating a new identity to complain even further, you really seem to want to stick around...

Sorry I realised that sounded bad. What I mean to say is why don't you just stick around and make your points where you can? You seem to want to be here...
Nailing yourself to a cross doesn't do any good unless everyone KNOWS you did it and why, emotional manipulation 101. I suppose it would be difficult to take if you made some grand gesture and your intended audience said "meh".

Crunchiespg you should ask my Aunt for some tips, she's awesome at this. I even fall for it sometimes.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:34 AM

Is it ironic that a guy who wants to leave opened another account to ask to be deactivated instead of banned....yet having multiple accounts could lead to a suspension or a ban?

....is this the Twilight Zone?

LC
Old 12-12-2015, 11:35 AM

Strange thst the moderators have let this thread continue...
Old 12-12-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by histyle View Post
That is the best post yet pertaining to this thread.
There is a great deal of truth in that statement in bold.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Because having a banned account reflects badly on my trader rating on other forums.
Deactivate my account and I'm gone.
Well then maybe ya should have thought of that first before getting banned. Your trader rating? Wow that's nothing I would lose sleep over.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:51 AM

Default This may get me banned...or worse...forced to do housework instead of going fishing but here it goes!

MY FINAL STATEMENT!!!!!!!??

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-12-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Watched it. And for that, in your wife's absence, sentence you to 4 minutes of toilet scrubbing duty. I better not see a new post until 12:05 pm December 12/2015.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:01 PM

This is not my house but I do visit and yes I have not behaved myself at all times....so no one to blame but myself. If people come to my house I expect a level of respect to be shown and I'm assuming the owner of this site is expecting the same....or I will get reminded just as I would remind anyone who attempted to misbehave in my house....
Old 12-12-2015, 12:03 PM

Well. I assume it's not up for discussion but I will give my 2 cents.

The general discussion forum is a wealth of info and currently a place where a lot of angry albertan outdoorsmen use to discuss "sensitive topics".

As I had suggested previously along with some other members, I would once again request a separate "back room" for the topics that aren't meant for an audience. It cannot be that big of a deal to separate the 2 and add a sub forum.
I don't see the problem with solution so please, if you have the time Rob, explain to us why this won't work.

I have learned a great many things here as this is the "1" forum that I frequent. I don't have time for multiple forums and this is where I would prefer to be..... No matter how PO'd I get at certain members on certain topics.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
Well. I assume it's not up for discussion but I will give my 2 cents.

The general discussion forum is a wealth of info and currently a place where a lot of angry albertan outdoorsmen use to discuss "sensitive topics".

As I had suggested previously along with some other members, I would once again request a separate "back room" for the topics that aren't meant for an audience. It cannot be that big of a deal to separate the 2 and add a sub forum.
I don't see the problem with solution so please, if you have the time Rob, explain to us why this won't work.

I have learned a great many things here as this is the "1" forum that I frequent. I don't have time for multiple forums and this is where I would prefer to be..... No matter how PO'd I get at certain members on certain topics.
I am sure that Rob would want nothing more than clean forum, dealing with issues that promote community, but we took that away from him. Why is it that you think he should service those that brought on heat? i am pretty sure that 'accommodation' is what the problem was.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I can understand why you in particular would ask to ban all political discussion. You open;y admitted as to who you voted for, and now that most Alberta residents have expressed extreme displeasure with that party, you don't want to hear about it at all. You are a good person, and a good member here, but if you are going to participate in a political discussion, then you need to be prepared to accept that when some people are losing jobs, or their standard of living is being threatened due to politics, people are going to express their displeasure quite vigorously, with little regard for hurting someone's feelings. That is just the nature of politics, and political discussion. If someone is easily offended, they should avoid discussion concerning either politics or religion.

Yes the owner of the site will decide what he allows to be discussed, and how the discussion is to be carried out, but the members also need to exercise some judgement of their own, as to which threads they choose to participate in. If you feel that you may not like what will be discussed, then perhaps you should just avoid the thread altogether.
Elk, you are so far off base that you need a GPS to get back on track. This has jack squat to do with hurt feelings. I can give it as good as I take it. Trust me on that one. And I knew exactly what I was going to get when I waded in on a gun forum saying I voted for the NDP. End of that story, so get over that crock of BS because that is what it is. I am generally speaking a polite person, and I'm smart enough to know that when a handful of ignorant members are allowed to slam anyone, and everyone, without getting banned, IT STOPS PEOPLE WHO ARE NEW, OR WHO HAVE NEVER OFFERED THEIR THOUGHTS, TO EVEN BOTHER OFFERING THEIR OPINION. THAT IS, AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN MY PROBLEM WITH CERTAIN TYPES OF DISCUSSIONS. If you think this forum is a better place with the same gang of us dominating discussions, and jumping on new people, or people who see the world differently than they do, then I don't know what to say, but something tells me you are too smart for that. It has been proven for years that political and religious threads are not possible to have reasonable discussions on, and denigrate within 20 posts most times. Religion was banned, and so after the constant stream of bullspit and bile put forth after the last election, then I started a thread to say get rid of the political crap too.

You, and others, think that it is me being sensitive and having hurt feelings, but what you don't take into account is that people PM each other sharing views. You and I pm each other, and share views on threads, so you make a mistake if you think other people don't pm me, and say they agree with my stance on just getting rid of political discussions, and telling me they just don't think it's worth the hassle of posting their views. That is why I speak up. I would be totally cool with a private forum where you could vigorously disagree without fear of being banned. I enjoy the other forums too much to get banned for telling off someone I think is a moron, so I usually don't engage. To date, it has served me well, and haven't had a timeout, but I have walked the line on many occasions.

Last edited by sns2; 12-12-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Banned

I have noticed that any threads that "discuss" the Wild Rose in anything less than a positive light get nuked??
Old 12-12-2015, 01:03 PM

Default "Back Room"

There is no need for a back room forum. You want to discuss sensitive subjects that have no relevance to the outdoors, there are plenty of other forums for that. You want to watch members take shots at each other and argue, there are also plenty of forums for that or go watch UFC.

The Alberta Outdoorsmen forum has always been transparent and dedicated to providing a venue where Alberta Outdoorsmen / Outdoorswomen can come to discuss issues that pertain to the outdoors. Having a "back room" detracts from those objectives of being transparency and informational.

Too many people like to hide behind their anonymity. People need to step back and realize that if you are unable to post something that benefits the reader, don't post at all. Pretty simple.

Morb
Old 12-12-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
There is no need for a back room forum. You want to discuss sensitive subjects that have no relevance to the outdoors, there are plenty of other forums for that. You want to watch members take shots at each other and argue, there are also plenty of forums for that or go watch UFC.

The Alberta Outdoorsmen forum has always been transparent and dedicated to providing a venue where Alberta Outdoorsmen / Outdoorswomen can come to discuss issues that pertain to the outdoors. Having a "back room" detracts from those objectives of being transparency and informational.

Too many people like to hide behind their anonymity. People need to step back and realize that if you are unable to post something that benefits the reader, don't post at all. Pretty simple.

Morb
Bang on, Morb. Adults need to be adults or they can go elsewhere.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:25 PM

So it's ok to discuss politics, political parties and ideologies as long as there is no religious connotation? What if the political ideology has religion at its core? Does this give it an iron cloak?
Old 12-12-2015, 05:05 PM

I came to this site for hunting and gun related discussion, and try to steer clear of politics and religion. Not that these topics don't interest me. Trolls, boors and bigots do not interest me, and they inevitably come out of the woodwork.
Good on the owners and moderators. Let us have fun with our sport, leaving all else behind.

BTW, merry Christmas to all those good people that I have met through this forum.
Closed Thread