Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Thanks for your efforts Rob M. to create a forum community with some sense of boundaries.

To those that want to discuss/debate religion, politics and race.....the internet is a big place...go to Argue.com instead. You can 'discuss' all those hot topics there.
http://www.argue.com/
I got banned for being too argumentative...
Old 12-11-2015, 06:33 PM

It's amazing how I was just wondering what politically racially incorrect comments am I going to be witness to tonight. And I see this warning. As an outdoorsman I feel embarrassed to see some of the comments made on this forum and hoped that the general public doesn't bother with this forum. I guess I was wrong. I know everyone has some sort of prejudice it's only human nature. But some of it has to be supressed as it is not socially excepted. Especially when race or religion are involved. But I come on here to be informed as there are some very intelligent people on here and I value there views. Better source than the media at times that's for sure.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Thanks for your efforts Rob M. to create a forum community with some sense of boundaries.

To those that want to discuss/debate religion, politics and race.....the internet is a big place...go to Argue.com instead. You can 'discuss' all those hot topics there.
Well said!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
http://www.argue.com/
I got banned for being too argumentative...
You need a course!
Cat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
Old 12-11-2015, 06:48 PM

I've been here for a month or so, all I have to say is that a clean out of about 10 specific members would have me a whole lot less embarrassed to call AO my home forum.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Hahaha. Great video.
Thanks Cat!
Old 12-11-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
You want to remove the general forum, go for it - but you're probably going to shoot yourself in the foot.
No doubt. If you don't like a thread topic stay out of it, don't go into it then cry your feelings got hurt
Old 12-11-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
In as much as removing the general discussion page would get out lots of the arguments, it would also bear a cost both to the board members who use it as a resource for all manner of thing from recipes, automotive advice, home repair, a mostly anonymous spot to get advice on troubling personal issues, etc. This content generates a lot of membership and casual visitors to the site, and the site traffic is what drives the business model for operating the site, it's what attracts the advertisers. This place only exists because of advertising revenue, take that away and kablooey, the place implodes; the viewership drives its existence. To me this means that a subforum for such taboo topics should be the solution, as axing the general discussion page would drop the viewership and ad revenue significantly. I have zero concept of how much revenue outdoorsmenforum generates, perhaps it's not enough to warrant the hassle? It sure as heck wouldn't generate more income with less content.

That being said there is a lot of conduct unbecoming that would be nice to isolate to a 'rubber room' page in order to clean up the rest of the place.
What happens when your sponsors say enough is enough, we don't support that kind of chat. What happens when your payday client says control it or we're pulling our contract?

Web sites can be hosted for cheap with free chatware available from most hosts. If you support it, hold the party at your house.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Banned

So the nanny state wins again.
Boo whoo. Someone got upset.

Without politics we won't have any other activities to discuss. Good luck having leisure activities if everything gets banned.

I enjoyed all the topics. Heated debate or not. However I have no interest in taking part in something censored because some cry babies have complained.

Thanks to politics most guns will be banned soon. So that ends a lot of the discussions and reasons for me being here. Thanks to politics our outdoor lives are going to change massively in Alberta. And thanks to politics and the nanny state we apparently can't have any discussion without someone getting upset.

I'm out. Thanks guys. Delete my account please.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 PM

Gotta be politically correct people! Smarten up!
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post

Without politics we won't have any other activities to discuss. Good luck having leisure activities if everything gets banned.

I enjoyed all the topics. Heated debate or not. However I have no interest in taking part in something censored because some cry babies have complained.

Thanks to politics most guns will be banned soon. So that ends a lot of the discussions and reasons for me being here. Thanks to politics our outdoor lives are going to change massively in Alberta. And thanks to politics and the nanny state we apparently can't have any discussion without someone getting upset.

If you go, the whiner's win. You are a well respected member who has offered a lot to this forum. Hopefully, you change your mind and continue to offer up a lot of your knowledge. I always look forward to reading your posts.

If you don't change your mind, I can't say that I really blame you though.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Classic! Thanks for posting!
Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:

A certain organization which has existed for upwards of 6 to 7 centuries, has disallowed discussions surrounding politics and religion for very good reasons.
The fact that this organization has such longevity, speaks to the magnitude of the issue.

I've prowled this forum for a while and have said little, because of the antics of the vocal few, spewing discontent and the like in every breath.

How about the policy of no politics, or religion, especially if it has nothing directly relatable to the outdoors. After all politics decides the fate of the outdoors, and our activities there in, but droning on and on about the same regurgitated catch phrases is far from necessary.

Why doesn't the general section become the area where automotive advice, recipes, and home repairs get shared?
Old 12-11-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Neck McGuirk View Post
A certain organization which has existed for upwards of 4 to 5 centuries, have disallowed discussions surrounding politics and religion for very good reasons.
The fact that this organization has such longevity, speaks to the magnitude of the issue.

I've prowled this forum for a while and have said little, because of the antics of the vocal few, spewing discontent and the like in every breath.

How about the policy of no politics, or religion, especially if it has nothing directly relatable to the outdoors. After all politics decides the fate of the outdoors, and our activities there in, but droning on and on about the same regurgitated catch phrases is far from necessary.

Why doesn't the general section become the area where automotive advice, recipes, and home repairs get shared?
The Masons?
Old 12-11-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
The Masons?
Freemasonry to be more precise.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Freemasonry to be more precise.
I apologise for the brevity.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I apologise for the brevity.
No big deal.
Close enough, really.
Cheers
Old 12-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
A certain organization which has existed for upwards of 6 to 7 centuries, have disallowed discussions surrounding politics and religion for very good reasons.

The General Discussion area IS where automotive advice, recipes, and home repairs get shared.

I guess that might change when some environmentalist gets offended by people who operate gas and diesel powered vehicles or until a Vegan gets bent out of shape because of a venison recipe. Then we will have to censor that sort of chit chat as well.

I'm still trying to figure out how it is that people are being forced to read political and religious material that they don't want to read? Or maybe it's just a case of "I don't like something so nobody else should either."
Old 12-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
What happens when your sponsors say enough is enough, we don't support that kind of chat. What happens when your payday client says control it or we're pulling our contract?
And are sponsors going to pay for advertising in a dead forum? Catch 22 isn't it? Lots of good members are gone due to the crap over the years on this board, and more are going to go elsewhere before this is all done.

Enforce the old rules, frig, the new rules apply to the old and it's all common sense, just buttering over the problem isn't it? It's like the government bringing in laws for distracted driving - we already had laws in place to cover distracted...?

Need more mods? Put out the call for them... Do you folks have a list of rules on a door and point to it when people come in? Shouldn't need them, common sense. How many times in the past have we seen new rules be put in place - only to not be enforced? Then it gets worse. Are the mods hands tied here?

Same people start fights by bringing in politics, can just watch them poking sticks trying to start a fight. Doesn't stop - thread locked or deleted - and some of these were good threads. Same people over and over - and some of these are long term members.

And I seem to recall one of the mods 4 months ago saying...
Quote:
General is nothing, Fishing is the problem child of AO
Old 12-11-2015, 09:59 PM

I don't mind the Wildrose/NDP stuff (even though I'm in the minority), but the Racism/anti Muslim stuff should not be tolerated.

Brit soldier said it best:

"Getting frustrated by some people expecting racism from me, because I got blown up. Here it is:
Yes. A Muslim man blew me up, and I lost my leg.
A Muslim man also lost his arm that day wearing a British Uniform.
A Muslim medic was in the helicopter that took me from the field
A Muslim surgeon performed the surgery that saved my life
A Muslim Nurse was part of the team that helped me when I returned to the UK
A Muslim Healthcare Assistant was part of the team that sorted out my day to day needs in rehabilitation when I was learning to walk
A Muslim taxi driver gave me a free ride the first time I went for a beer with my Dad after I came home.
A Muslim doctor offered my Dad comfort and advice in a pub, when he didnt know how to deal with my medicines and side effects.
Contrary to that,
A white brit spat in my girlfriends face for '****ing a cripple when you could have me [him]'
A White brit pushed my wheelchair away from a lift so he could use it first.
A White brit screamed at my Dad for parking in a disabled bay when I was in the services coming home
(Although, alot of people helped in my recovery! I dont hate white brits either! hahaha)
Point is, **** off. I know who I dislike, and I know who I dont. I know who I appreciate, and I know who I dont. If you want to hate an entire race of men and women for the actions of a few ********s feel free, but don't push your views on me, thinking I am an easy target because one douchebag decided it was my day to die.
Blaming all Muslims for the actions of groups like Daeshe and the Taliban, is like blaming all Christians for the actions of the KKK or Westboro Baptist Church.
Get a grip of your lives, hug your family and get back to work"
Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
The General Discussion area IS where automotive advice, recipes, and home repairs get shared.

I guess that might change when some environmentalist gets offended by people who operate gas and diesel powered vehicles or until a Vegan gets bent out of shape because of a venison recipe. Then we will have to censor that sort of chit chat as well.

I'm still trying to figure out how it is that people are being forced to read political and religious material that they don't want to read? Or maybe it's just a case of "I don't like something so nobody else should either."

More of the regurgitated catch phrases again.

Can't you guys come up with some original material.

The forum rules state no anti hunting types welcome. I would conclude that would mean vegans too.

Just because the owners of this site say they wish discussions to follow a certain protocol, you guys think it's censorship? Give your melons a firm shake. It's their forum, and their rules, if you don't like it, hit the log out button.

I'm logging out now before I really speak my mind, and regret that.

I will be back, not to worry.

Good evening!
Old 12-11-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
More of the regurgitated catch phrases again.

Can't you guys come up with some original material.

The forum rules state no anti hunting types welcome. I would conclude that would mean vegans too.

Just because the owners of this site say they wish discussions to follow a certain protocol, you guys think it's censorship? Give your melons a firm shake. It's their forum, and their rules, if you don't like it, hit the log out button.

I'm logging out now before I really speak my mind, and regret that.

Good evening!
Well you've doubled your post count in the last ten minutes! Thanks for all of your sharing.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:05 PM

Lol...I just don't understand why this group of like minded individuals seem to have SUCH a problem getting along. If you look back on any heated thread, there is just user after user that has been banned. Locked threads are a daily occurrence.
I belong to a couple of other forums that have been around for well over 10 years with way more users than this one and you hardly EVER see anyone banned and there is never a locked thread.

It's like a bunch of elementary school aged kids that need constant moderation, rules, time-outs, suspensions....quite comical considering the age demographics of this site.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
You're living up to your name..
Had to throw a stone huh?
Old 12-11-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Had to throw a stone huh?
Nope, I through it back. Big difference
Old 12-11-2015, 10:14 PM
Banned

Default Well,

Wow,

At the risk of being sanctioned I have to say that I'm a little disappointed to say the least. While I agree 100% that some discussions get way out of hand, I tend to think it is the exception not the norm. The overwhelming majority of the people on here are hard working, right leaning folks. Many of us are guilty of crossing the line from time to time but it is out of frustration with the left leaning policies of the provincial and federal governments whose ideals tear at the fabric of what we consider important. I find it sad that the admin are ruffled by the complaints of the general public who troll these forums and see fit to kowtow to their being perpetually offended.

I guess free speech really is dead.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:14 PM

Posted by silverdoctor;
And are sponsors going to pay for advertising in a dead forum? Catch 22 isn't it?

Exactly why I'm holding out, not going to commit to the money If the forum could be completely different in 3 months time.
Already advertising on 2 other forums, really hope I'll be advertising on here some time soon. Would like nothing more than to support AOF, seems that the same rules apply to most forums. Most trouble I've seen for a hunting site is on here. Those forums have a "general discussion" too.

Whatever the outcome, thank you mods and rob for the forum and a great magazine.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
A poster who's finally had enough of the crapfest that ensues in here some days.
And you step right up, and remove all doubt about why he is reluctant to post anything.

A true badge of honour if I ever saw one!

Walk softly.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Gotta be politically correct people! Smarten up!
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
A poster who's finally had enough of the crapfest that ensues in here some days.
And you step right up, and remove all doubt about why he is reluctant to post anything.

A true badge of honour if I ever saw one!
Don't be a dick, Dick

Quote:
Nope, I through it back. Big difference
Nice
Old 12-11-2015, 10:29 PM

First off, this is Rob Miskosky's site. He makes the rules. It is also his business, and if he feels some of the discussions are badly reflecting upon his business, then he can change any dang thing he wants, and it doesn't qualify as censorship, IMO. If you don't like that too bad. Go somewhere else.

I openly asked for a banning of all political discussion because it had become so ridiculous. Recently, if an outsider or newcomer were to read many of the threads, I would not be surprised if they thought that this forum is populated by a bunch of racists or white supremacists. That is what has caused this. It's pretty simple.

I have thought for about a year that if you permanently banned 5-10 people who are constantly taking threads in a negative slant, and belittling anyone who doesn't drink their bile, the whole complexion of the General Discussion forum would change. It would send a message, and if others followed suit, and were quickly banned, then people would know they mean business.

Last edited by sns2; 12-11-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Closed Thread