Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You are correct, it is his forum, so he makes the rules. I was merely stating that losing the general forum might not be all bad.
I think we are on the same page, even if we're not, if you know what I mean

I would miss it, others wouldn't, the sun will still rise.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:48 PM

Just to clarify, does 'general public' include non-members emailing complaints after a browse?
Old 12-11-2015, 03:11 PM

Guess the cute nicknames for parties and politicians will no longer be tolerated. Should just have a separate politics/current events sub-forum and news sticky thread.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Banned

Default ISIS and Objectiveness

Does this imply discussion about ISIS and its old sharia belief systems are now taboo on here. I believe that objective discussion to raise awareness in an intelligent non hate fashion is important . Maybe it was not public response but rather pointed response from very few that concerns the image for the few administrators.

Perhaps a private forum is needed for members only for sharing information.
Here we go with freedom of thought. I say as long as there is no hatred we can be free to discuss what effects sportsmen and their future generations and territory of freedom which includes perceptions and avoids misconceptions that are read on normal media. Sometimes normal media controlled by few corporations sway the masses to believe what they wish them to believe. This forum on the contrary was well balanced with comments from all. Healthy discussion. And now?

This is or was an amazing forum.
Reminds me of the astro Turf phenomena and censorship of free speech.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrusher21 View Post
Smells like censorship to me too bad free people can't have free opinions an conversations

Someone once wrote, john Lennon ( no relation to Vlad Lenin )

Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only sky,

Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do
Nothing it kill or die for, and no religion too,,,

I won't quote Vlad Lenin as I don't much condone his type of vision,,,,or methods of silencing dissension ,,,,
Old 12-11-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Does this imply discussion about ISIS and its old sharia belief systems are now taboo on here. I believe that objective discussion to raise awareness in an intelligent non hate fashion is important . Maybe it was not public response but rather pointed response from very few that concerns the image for the few administrators.

Perhaps a private forum is needed for members only for sharing information.
Here we go with freedom of thought. I say as long as there is no hatred we can be free to discuss what effects sportsmen and their future generations and territory of freedom which includes perceptions and avoids misconceptions that are read on normal media. Sometimes normal media controlled by few corporations sway the masses to believe what they wish them to believe. This forum on the contrary was well balanced with comments from all. Healthy discussion. And now?

This is or was an amazing forum.
Reminds me of the astro Turf phenomena and censorship of free speech.
I totally agree with this. Civil debate on any topic should be encouraged not censored (emphasize the word civil). It's educational & sometimes enlightening to hear varying views on different topics. I thought that's why it was called general discussion. I wonder if the people complaining are even members, or realize that they have the choice to not read threads they might find offensive?
Old 12-11-2015, 03:50 PM

Actually ElkDump it is censorship...

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication or other information which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions.

And I'm ok with it, His Forum, His rules we are all free to find alternatives if we don't like it.

I mean nobody gets to come to my house, break my rules, tell my kid this is how it is and not be censored by me.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
Why not have a locker room section where almost anything goes? You post and enter at your own risk.

Threads that go off the rails can be moved there.

I enjoy reading the threds where people get their noses out of joint.

Otherwise it is usually the same questions asked over and over again with the same responses.

It has been proven in other forms that having a members only section like a locker room reduces a lot of clutter in other threads.
x100. I've been suggesting this for over 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
...Or maybe we should have a separate "flamehause" section just for politics! It's getting a little redundant.
And here...
and again here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I personally log in much less than I used to simply because I personally don't like the tone of many of the members in most of the political oriented threads, but I definitely don't complain. I choose to not log in instead. I guess that is a complaint of its own in a way as I imagine if the admin is seeing numbers drop vs numbers increasing, they need to make a decision...
My thoughts exactly!
This forum is pretty much a political discussion forum.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post

Someone once wrote, john Lennon ( no relation to Vlad Lenin )

Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try
No hell below us, above us only sky,

Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do
Nothing it kill or die for, and no religion too,,,

I won't quote Vlad Lenin as I don't much condone his type of vision,,,,or methods of silencing dissension ,,,,

It's funny for someone to quote "Imagine" by John Lennon and start it off with a "snap out of it" emoticon!!

I don't know what else you would call it other than censorship when you tell people what they can and cannot discuss. I suppose that eliminating the General Discussion section removes that problem. But at what cost? I can't help but wonder why people say that it would be a welcome change to the forum to remove the section. They would effectively remove the General Discussion all by themselves if they just didn't go that part of the forum. If I'm not into trapping, I just don't open the Trapping section. I don't tell the Mods that it should be removed. If people are not into politics, they shouldn't open threads about politics. Seems simple enough to me.

If it's about Member's having their feelings hurt, then why are there so many of those emoticons that are essentially there to promote adversarial responses? Take a look at them... fighting, snap out of it, that budo guy with the sword, guy smoking a joint, steaming head, aaargh, etc. etc. Oh, and one smile!!
Old 12-11-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
In all honesty, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the general discussion forum went away. The individuals that only come here to argue politics and religion, and that have no interest in shooting, hunting or fishing might leave, which would only make the forum a better place to visit.
elkhunter11, For once, I agree completely.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
In all honesty, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the general discussion forum went away. The individuals that only come here to argue politics and religion, and that have no interest in shooting, hunting or fishing might leave, which would only make the forum a better place to visit.
Wouldn't it be a better place to visit then if you just did not go to the General Discussion forum? Just Imagine that it wasn't there and don't open it up, problem solved.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
I learn just as much In the general section as I do in other sections. Sometimes more.
From cooking, to vehicles, to dog stuff, to politics.
For the possible few hundred who left, more would leave and site traffic would dramatically be reduced if the general forum was gone.
Kick the people who can't be civil, lots of great guys treat everyone with respect no matter the issue.
No need to remove a section because a few can't act like adults.
This.^
Old 12-11-2015, 04:58 PM

There is a "general forum"...WOW!...who knew?

LC
Old 12-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
It's funny for someone to quote "Imagine" by John Lennon and start it off with a "snap out of it" emoticon!!

I don't know what else you would call it other than censorship when you tell people what they can and cannot discuss. I suppose that eliminating the General Discussion section removes that problem. But at what cost? I can't help but wonder why people say that it would be a welcome change to the forum to remove the section. They would effectively remove the General Discussion all by themselves if they just didn't go that part of the forum. If I'm not into trapping, I just don't open the Trapping section. I don't tell the Mods that it should be removed. If people are not into politics, they shouldn't open threads about politics. Seems simple enough to me.

If it's about Member's having their feelings hurt, then why are there so many of those emoticons that are essentially there to promote adversarial responses? Take a look at them... fighting, snap out of it, that budo guy with the sword, guy smoking a joint, steaming head, aaargh, etc. etc. Oh, and one smile!!
The emotion as you call it was meant to reflect " irony " not insult anyone !
The " irony" being that someone with such strong beliefs as john Lennon , his message of tolerance and pacifism the core of his makeup could be murdered in cold blood on his doorstep by a piece of human trash , hoping it didn't exist didn't prevent the inevitable , or fate, whatever one may call it

The cold hard fact that Evil or injustice cannot not be countered by ignoring or refusing to acknowledge its' existence , or simply not allowing it in conversation ,
Old 12-11-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I agree with this. It isn't a situation unique to this forum, of course - two woodworking forums I've frequented have struggled with how to approach this exact issue.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:17 PM

STOP!!!!! Why do the people who don't like the general section read it? Weak willed? Secretly like the drama part but won't admit it? Why do you read it and complain about it if you don't want it? And in the dreaded "general section" why do you read political threads if you don't like them? This makes 0 sense unless the reason is what I just pointed out. So why?
Old 12-11-2015, 05:23 PM

I'd say you aren't asking the fundamental question - why even have an Off-Topic area at all? Speaking generally here and not about AO at all - if the lion's share of the problems are resulting from a minority area, why should the forum administration feel obligated to continue to shoulder the burden of that?
Old 12-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
You want to remove the general forum, go for it - but you're probably going to shoot yourself in the foot. I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody - can't be done.
I haven't been online much personally, too much politics, too much negativity - my own choice to bow out for a while, take a break.
But first of all, people running the forum are like government - new rules? Everything is covered under the old rules. Why do you feel the need to put new rules in place? It's your forum, feel free to do with it as you wish. We don't need to be told that you have the right to remove postings - that's a given, just remove them - Click, Click delete. We don't need to be told that you right to ban members, that's also a given, ban them. Why do you feel like you need to provide a reason - put that in the note when banning a member so they read it when trying to log in...
There is a wonderful group of people on the forum, combined knowledge across all areas is frightening. Need help with a vehicle? Post to general (or now hunting?) - how many times do we read that a member actually got off his/her couch and literally went out to help another in need? How many postings are we reading about people dealing with sickness? How much support do these people get? It's incredible. Where do they post from here on in? The fishing forum or are they to go to some other forum? Or will any general - non forum related - be banned altogether?
Yep, moderating is a thankless job but you volunteered for it. Yep, people don't understand the BS that goes on in the background when it comes to these forums. Maybe it's time to fill them in...?
Good post... I totally agree.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:28 PM

Default Forum rules, bringing this to your attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hmmm politics, religion, policing etc play a big part in our outdoor lives...don't go to the general forum, there are others.

I don't like various Chanels on the boob tube along with shows, I dont go there.

Simple from my perspective.

That's like saying if you don't like the price of gas, don't buy it. Simple statement, but nigh on impossible to effect.

I think, as usual, a lot are over reacting. I believe all the moderator is saying is start acting like adults, less name calling and flaming etc. Nothing wrong with the General Forum but time to act more like adults than 6 year olds. Everyone has different opinions, but that's all they are, opinions. We all have to keep that in mind sometimes.

PS. Not picking on you 58....
Old 12-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why not have a locker room section where almost anything goes? You post and enter at your own risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Asked about that before, hidden board...
Quote:
Exactly. A hidden board/section is perfect.
Why don't you fellas create an AO social group where all of the regular General Section posters could go and have discussions in private? You invite who you want and if they don't like what they are reading then they can leave the group and not see it. Too easy.

Call it The Loony Bin.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Why don't you fellas create an AO social group where all of the regular General Section posters could go and have discussions in private? You invite who you want and if they don't like what they are reading then they can leave the group and not see it. Too easy.

Call it The Loony Bin.
Want to be the first to join?
Old 12-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Want to be the first to join?
Sure, but I don't know how to start a social group. I belong to one though.

I'm serious, I think that it's a good idea for the regular posters in the General Section. Kind of a "If you don't like it leave" kind of group.

I changed my idea for the name. Call it The Gong Show.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Sure, but I don't know how to start a social group. I belong to one though.

I'm serious, I think that it's a good idea for the regular posters in the General Section. Kind of a "If you don't like it leave" kind of group.

I changed my idea for the name. Call it The Gong Show.
Oh I agree 100%.

"The Gong show" is a perfect name. It should be a subforum on AO where it is not visable to the general public ie) non registered users.

I have moderated and site admined before. It is easy to set up and "moderate". Members like a place where they can go and vent, etc or if a thread goes off the rails or is about to go off the rails then it can easily be moved there. The ususal moderation rules would apply however they would be a litte less enforced that they would on the regular form sections.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:47 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

I think the people causing the trouble should just get suspended and then banned it would solve a lot of problems I think, plus it would be better than removing the general discussion forum from which a lot of good people benefit from
Old 12-11-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
You are correct, it is his forum, so he makes the rules. I was merely stating that losing the general forum might not be all bad.
Problem is then people will start posting those threads in other discussion boards. Might end up making more work for themselves... But true as you said, their forum their rules, their decision. All I can say is good luck to them, as AO has unfortunately declined of late because all the aforementioned offending threads....
Old 12-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh I agree 100%.

"The Gong show" is a perfect name. It should be a subforum on AO where it is not visable to the general public ie) non registered users.

I have moderated and site admined before. It is easy to set up and "moderate". Members like a place where they can go and vent, etc or if a thread goes off the rails or is about to go off the rails then it can easily be moved there. The ususal moderation rules would apply however they would be a litte less enforced that they would on the regular form sections.
Well, there ya go.....problem solved! It's not a sub-forum, it's a group that you can form and add people by invitation only. Someone on here ought to be able to figure out how to do it. Don't forget to invite me to The Gong Show.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:04 PM

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Careful what YOU wish for.

Perhaps for the first time - I agree 100%

There is no need for our group to be represented by a handful of bigots who are intolerant and ignorant. They do not represent us. They do not represent the forum nor do they represent our sponsors.

These people, who are a minority, make us look bad. Just the same a small minority of people of a certain group make the rest of the good people look in the eyes of the ignorant, bigoted and intolerant.

I think this message is long over due and I support the intent.

Good job Admin !!!
Good post

Mack
Old 12-11-2015, 06:07 PM

In as much as removing the general discussion page would get out lots of the arguments, it would also bear a cost both to the board members who use it as a resource for all manner of thing from recipes, automotive advice, home repair, a mostly anonymous spot to get advice on troubling personal issues, etc. This content generates a lot of membership and casual visitors to the site, and the site traffic is what drives the business model for operating the site, it's what attracts the advertisers. This place only exists because of advertising revenue, take that away and kablooey, the place implodes; the viewership drives its existence. To me this means that a subforum for such taboo topics should be the solution, as axing the general discussion page would drop the viewership and ad revenue significantly. I have zero concept of how much revenue outdoorsmenforum generates, perhaps it's not enough to warrant the hassle? It sure as heck wouldn't generate more income with less content.

That being said there is a lot of conduct unbecoming that would be nice to isolate to a 'rubber room' page in order to clean up the rest of the place.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolHammer View Post
I'd say you aren't asking the fundamental question - why even have an Off-Topic area at all? Speaking generally here and not about AO at all - if the lion's share of the problems are resulting from a minority area, why should the forum administration feel obligated to continue to shoulder the burden of that?
You haven't seen the heated discussions, bannings and closing of threads in the fishing section have you?!
It's not limited to the "General Discussion" sub-forum.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:08 PM

Thanks for your efforts Rob M. to create a forum community with some sense of boundaries.

To those that want to discuss/debate religion, politics and race.....the internet is a big place...go to Argue.com instead. You can 'discuss' all those hot topics there.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Closed Thread