Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default Forum rules, bringing this to your attention

We've been receiving far too many complaints from the general public regarding the general discussion forum. If it continues, we will have no choice but to remove the General Discussion forum from the Alberta Outdoorsmen forum.

And therefore, please keep this in mind:

- Any topics/posts or discussion that includes race, ethnic groups or Religion are NOT acceptable and can result in a loss of message board privileges not excluding permanently. This is NOT the forum for such discussions.

- Political discussion will be monitored closely. At the first sign of a political discussion going sideways, which may include fighting between forum members, flaming of political parties or individual politicians, the thread will be immediately deleted. Forum members that abuse this rule will lose their forum privileges.

Last edited by admin; 12-11-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Please keep this in mind:

- Any topics/ posts or discussion that mention race, ethnic group or discussion or posts on Religion is NOT acceptable and can result in loss of message board privileges not excluding permanently. This is NOT the forum for such discussions.

- Political discussion will be monitored closely. At the first sign of a political discussion going sideways, which may include fighting between forum members, flaming of political parties or individual politicians, the thread will be immediately deleted. Forum members that abuse this rule will lose their forum privileges.
Good reminder for all of us...Thanks Admin!!
Have a good weekend.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Why not have a locker room section where almost anything goes? You post and enter at your own risk.

Threads that go off the rails can be moved there.

I enjoy reading the threds where people get their noses out of joint.

Otherwise it is usually the same questions asked over and over again with the same responses.

It has been proven in other forms that having a members only section like a locker room reduces a lot of clutter in other threads.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Good reminder for all of us...Thanks Admin!!
Have a good weekend.
Zip
X2

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
Why not have a locker room section where almost anything goes? You post and enter at your own risk.
Asked about that before, hidden board...

Get used to it, everybody pays for the sake of a few - all too common now.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Exactly. A hidden board/section is perfect.

I like to click on threads that have 4 plus pages on them. It gives me some good reading and humour for a while.

I will read the usual stuff, scan through the buy and sell. I spend more time in the general section as it is entertaining.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:46 AM

If people stopped complaining, and grew a set when their feeler got hurt on the internet, we wouldn't have to worry about it.

I understand zero tolerance on personal attacks and ethnic issues, but if you can't have a discussion with someone who has a different opinion than you, what's the point of a general discussion?
Old 12-11-2015, 11:55 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
If people stopped complaining, and grew a set when their feeler got hurt on the internet, we wouldn't have to worry about it.

I understand zero tolerance on personal attacks and ethnic issues, but if you can't have a discussion with someone who has a different opinion than you, what's the point of a general discussion?
I think in terms of a forum like this, the amount of people logging in and participating is going to play a big role in these decisions, and if too many people are put off by the discussions and are choosing to not log in as often because of this, it isn't good for the "business" aspects of the site.

I personally log in much less than I used to simply because I personally don't like the tone of many of the members in most of the political oriented threads, but I definitely don't complain. I choose to not log in instead. I guess that is a complaint of its own in a way as I imagine if the admin is seeing numbers drop vs numbers increasing, they need to make a decision...
Old 12-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post

I think that the general discussion section is much more than just having different opinions on touchy subjects...it is a wealth of information for darn near anything you need help with...stories as well, some sad, some fun,some entertaining...general discussion can cover a lot of different subjects other than arguing over differing opinions diamonddave...I understand what you are saying, but on the most part I think things are good here...just my opinion, not trying to start something out of nothing here!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-11-2015, 12:11 PM

I believe this is a good thing.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Banned

Your always going to have your resident disturber that will come to the defence of which ever group the forum is not happy with. Radical Muslims, Sustienace antler hunters, the NDP, so on and so forth. Should monitor them and maybe have them keep out of the discussions.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
Your always going to have your resident disturber that will come to the defence of which ever group the forum is not happy with. Radical Muslims, Sustienace antler hunters, the NDP, so on and so forth. Should monitor them and maybe have them keep out of the discussions.
Careful what YOU wish for.

Perhaps for the first time - I agree 100%

There is no need for our group to be represented by a handful of bigots who are intolerant and ignorant. They do not represent us. They do not represent the forum nor do they represent our sponsors.

These people, who are a minority, make us look bad. Just the same a small minority of people of a certain group make the rest of the good people look in the eyes of the ignorant, bigoted and intolerant.

I think this message is long over due and I support the intent.

Good job Admin !!!
Old 12-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Banned

You want to remove the general forum, go for it - but you're probably going to shoot yourself in the foot. I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody - can't be done.

I haven't been online much personally, too much politics, too much negativity - my own choice to bow out for a while, take a break.

But first of all, people running the forum are like government - new rules? Everything is covered under the old rules. Why do you feel the need to put new rules in place? It's your forum, feel free to do with it as you wish. We don't need to be told that you have the right to remove postings - that's a given, just remove them - Click, Click delete. We don't need to be told that you right to ban members, that's also a given, ban them. Why do you feel like you need to provide a reason - put that in the note when banning a member so they read it when trying to log in...

There is a wonderful group of people on the forum, combined knowledge across all areas is frightening. Need help with a vehicle? Post to general (or now hunting?) - how many times do we read that a member actually got off his/her couch and literally went out to help another in need? How many postings are we reading about people dealing with sickness? How much support do these people get? It's incredible. Where do they post from here on in? The fishing forum or are they to go to some other forum? Or will any general - non forum related - be banned altogether?

Yep, moderating is a thankless job but you volunteered for it. Yep, people don't understand the BS that goes on in the background when it comes to these forums. Maybe it's time to fill them in...?
Old 12-11-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I think in terms of a forum like this, the amount of people logging in and participating is going to play a big role in these decisions, and if too many people are put off by the discussions and are choosing to not log in as often because of this, it isn't good for the "business" aspects of the site.

I personally log in much less than I used to simply because I personally don't like the tone of many of the members in most of the political oriented threads, but I definitely don't complain. I choose to not log in instead. I guess that is a complaint of its own in a way as I imagine if the admin is seeing numbers drop vs numbers increasing, they need to make a decision...
I like this move. My wife asked if I wanted an AO hat. On the one hand I would like a hat, but when I look at a lot of the threads here, it's not something that I really want to be associated with. Guess I'll see how the site changes over the next bit -- maybe I'll end up getting my hat!
Old 12-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Careful what YOU wish for.

Perhaps for the first time - I agree 100%

There is no need for our group to be represented by a handful of bigots who are intolerant and ignorant. They do not represent us. They do not represent the forum nor do they represent our sponsors.

These people, who are a minority, make us look bad. Just the same a small minority of people of a certain group make the rest of the good people look in the eyes of the ignorant, bigoted and intolerant.

I think this message is long over due and I support the intent.

Good job Admin !!!
My message was aimed at you and people like you. It's also not a "handful" of people. Anyways, that is all I will say on the subject.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:37 PM

For some time now, I have given almost daily consideration to pulling out of AO because of the direction General Discussion was headed. For a while I thought "just don't click on the obvious", but in the end decided that is a lot like turning away when someone is being harassed by a bully .... the fact being that the issue exists regardless of whether you are looking at it or not. An enabler, I am not.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Race religion

Some discussions necessarily need the race or religion included. Fore example the thread on jack lighting that was started earlier today. It loses all meaning and scope by eliminating race from the discussion. I say this because in this instance race was used as a means of justifying the initial action.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:55 PM

I just simply remember wha kind of forum this is. A lot of the pundits and news posters have very little to contribute to the outdoors discussion. I'm sure there's a good sun news forum to view. Or take on the lefties on CBC.ca. Regardless it upsets me when a father/son first deer thread gets 18 replies and something Notley said gleans 5 pages. Something off with that.
My $.02
Old 12-11-2015, 12:57 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

Why all the warnings, Jeees just deal with the wankers up front, bark no bite, if I cross a line I expect a time out. Saying there will be no general forum won't stop it, it will just spill to trapping or whatever.
Sometime we are our own worst enemies.
Hope the all too common changes.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-11-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
I like this move. My wife asked if I wanted an AO hat. On the one hand I would like a hat, but when I look at a lot of the threads here, it's not something that I really want to be associated with. Guess I'll see how the site changes over the next bit -- maybe I'll end up getting my hat!
People are going to bicker, cross lines etc don't let that stop you from getting a hat.
Association is sticking it through and making a difference, just don't wear the hat on backwards

Old 12-11-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The purpose of Alberta Outdoorsmen is to keep the hunters, anglers and trappers of Alberta up-to-date on the news, issues and events that surround hunting, fishing and trapping in this province. We provide you with thought-provoking articles that challenge you to respond with your own thoughts, educating ourselves as we grow together.
As a small group in a society that has become more urbanized over the past several years, it is our duty to maintain our rights as outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen to hunt, fish and trap in this province. In order to do this, we have to become equally knowledgeable as those who would rather see us fail. For far too long we have stood by and watched those who oppose our actions gather knowledge and strength. Because of this, we continually lose the battles to maintain our rights to hunt, fish and trap as our parents and grandparents did for so many generations. It was not long ago that the killing of a deer or the taking of some fish was the staple that fed the family throughout the year.

Animal rights groups live under a bambi umbrella preaching their beliefs while denouncing those of us who hunt, fish or trap. Together we must try to educate those who do not understand the heritage that has been passed on to us, and it is here, within the pages of Alberta Outdoorsmen, that we hope to do so.

This discussion can only help in our own battle to maintain our right to put wild game on our tables. So please, lets win the small battles together so that in the end we can claim a victory in the biggest battle - the right to maintain our hunting, fishing and trapping heritage.

- Rob Miskosky
Publisher/Editor
Alberta Outdoorsmen
Other than the Bambi umbrella crap, it's a pretty noble cause. hunters, as we've clearly demonstrated, are a highly opiniated group. As an anti, the first thing I'd do is drop a politics bomb, sit back and watch us self destruct.

I personally feel it's incumbent upon the hoster, who has graciously displayed to the world our indifference, to return to the 'purpose' of building community within the forum. As members of thier forum, we provide traffic for site rankings, consume products from thier sponsors, and provide material for publication. In return, members should be able to contribute without having thier efforts negated by deviance.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:31 PM

It's your forum, your rules.

If you look at the numbers at any given time, there are just as many people in the General Forum section as all the others combined. If the politics and religion are removed entirely, you will be left with "which truck is best" threads. It will also be a pretty quiet forum between March and June.

When someone posts up a search on the Internet, often some of the first searches bring up content from the AO General Section. But if you are looking to please all of the General Public who might complain about something; well good luck pleasing everybody. Do you think those complainers from the general public would otherwise join the forum or are they just complaining?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post

Threads that go off the rails can be moved there.

I enjoy reading the threds where people get their noses out of joint.

Otherwise it is usually the same questions asked over and over again with the same responses.

It has been proven in other forms that having a members only section like a locker room reduces a lot of clutter in other threads.
This^^^
Old 12-11-2015, 02:11 PM

In all honesty, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the general discussion forum went away. The individuals that only come here to argue politics and religion, and that have no interest in shooting, hunting or fishing might leave, which would only make the forum a better place to visit.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
In all honesty, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the general discussion forum went away. The individuals that only come here to argue politics and religion, and that have no interest in shooting, hunting or fishing might leave, which would only make the forum a better place to visit.
Hmmm politics, religion, policing etc play a big part in our outdoor lives...don't go to the general forum, there are others.

I don't like various Chanels on the boob tube along with shows, I dont go there.

Simple from my perspective.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 PM

Thumbs up

The key to faillure is trying to please everybody-can't be done.

Who said such wise words?

Listen to this.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
It's Rob's forum and his rules.

I personally feel that as an adult you can take it or leave it, there is a lot of good people that post in GD and share a variety of info that has been of benefit to me and no doubt many others.

That being said I wouldn't join a Feminist forum and ask them to refrain from certain topics in case it displeases me.

But, like I said his Forum, his rules.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
x2
Old 12-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
It's Rob's forum and his rules.

I personally feel that as an adult you can take it or leave it, there is a lot of good people that post in GD and share a variety of info that has been of benefit to me and no doubt many others.

That being said I wouldn't join a Feminist forum and ask them to refrain from certain topics in case it displeases me.

But, like I said his Forum, his rules.
You are correct, it is his forum, so he makes the rules. I was merely stating that losing the general forum might not be all bad.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:35 PM

I learn just as much In the general section as I do in other sections. Sometimes more.
From cooking, to vehicles, to dog stuff, to politics.
For the possible few hundred who left, more would leave and site traffic would dramatically be reduced if the general forum was gone.
Kick the people who can't be civil, lots of great guys treat everyone with respect no matter the issue.
No need to remove a section because a few can't act like adults.