Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Tree Guy

Default Donation Question

Hey Guys!

I have an idea that I'd like to ask you about.

Once Rob gets his server up and running, would if we could convince him to place an icon or something like that up pertaining to voluntary donations. Donations not ment for financing the site, but rather ment to make a year end (Christmas maybe) contribution to a worthy charity with as much media involvement as possible. Instead of firearms being in the news for all the wrong reasons, we could put hunters and firearms owners in the news for all the right reasons, trying to create a positive public perception of gun owners for a change. Here are some of my suggestions:

1. A contribution to rural food banks, as we all know that poverty and hunger do not just exist in the big cities.

2. Although this may be a little cutting edge, but how about doing something toward helping fight the scourge that is crystal meth. For those not framiliar with meth, it is the scariest and most addictive narcotic ever. It (as has been proven in the US) starts in rural communities first. It's cheap, can be produced in the trunk of a car, and is so addictive that users pick at their sores and consume the toxins for a further 'high'.

Anyway, just some thoughts. If anyone can add to or improve on this, post away!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Canmoron

Great idea Tree Guy,

If Rob wants to set up a charitable 'donation' box for an annual 'good cause contribution' from the Alberta Outdoorsmen Message Board, to be awarded once a year, I'll pledge $100.00 right now.

With the stories I enjoy and considering what I learn on this forum over a year - it would be a pleasure.

Andrew
Old 03-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Tree Guy

That's awesome Andrew, I'll match you on that one!

I just think that if we could translate the fire and one-ups-manship of some certain threads into a donation pool, we just might accomplish something special from the 'grass roots' that will shed a positive light upon us all!

PS No I am not a 'Long-Haired Hippie'! lol:evil
Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Rob Miskosky

That's a great idea Tree!

Once I have the new server up and running and the board moved, I will look into something along those lines. It certainly would help improve our image in many areas. In fact, I would do my best to make sure we got as much media coverage as possible. I do have a few sources for just that!

Anybody else like the idea? Thoughts...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:04 AM
kanonfodder

Very good idea, Tree
Old 03-09-2007, 12:07 AM
WCTHEMI

Very good idea. One other sites I am on, if you become a "supporting member" that title is given to you, as well as being able to write your own "member" status. This could add to the fun and possible encourage some people to support.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Tree Guy

I think that it is time that we pull a page out of Ralph Klein's book. Recognize where the parade is heading and make damn sure that you are at the front of it!

However, we could raise $1M in a year, but it would not matter one bit without the proper coverage. I have one fairly major national (CTV) media card that I may be able to influence, but it would have to be worth it to him. He likes the 'feel-good' stories. No guarentees.

I really feel that we can do something good here for both a worthy cause and ourselves.

PS Once again, I am NOT a long-haired hippie! lol
Old 03-09-2007, 12:51 AM
bagwan

I for one certainly think it has merit. As I was saying to you in Red Deer, Rob, we as a group should help you if its needed and you respectfully declined. Something like this would help you as well because the Outdoorsmen aspect would assist your operation as well as it would give the magazine and web sight more exposure. I would suggest that you affiliate the board with a chosen worthy charity that can give receipts. Not as big a break as political contributions but they all help.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:00 AM
RockyMountainMusic

i think it is a good idea as well count me in!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:12 AM
varmitr

a 50 get s you a subscribtion to AO for a year, and the balance of invoice is the donation
75 get a hat and subsrcition,
100 gets a two year
packages like that,
maybe some your sponsers or proposed sponsers would like a piece of that.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Good Idea

Default Good Idea

Try these guys www.simonhouse.com they are national recognized to be the best antidote to addiction in the country, have never accepted a penny of government money for thier program, and are local here in alberta. They are always looking for donations.

T
Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
fallairfever

Default Re: Good Idea

This is a great idea, I am sure most of us could kick in 50-100 for a good cause and to help portray hunters/firearms owners/outdoorspeople in a positive light. If we can spend 150-200 on tags each year (most of mine are left unfilled). A couple hundred on ammo, maybe a new pair of boots... you get my point why not something for the better good.

I would like to maybe see the $ go to a programme for troubled youth to introduce them to the outdoors and maybe get then interested in something productive, hows that go...

"kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies" or something like that :b

just a thought but there is a tonne of great causes out there and I am not picky.

besides the donation idea what about organizing a group event where we volunteer our time, for example get a group of us together for a weekend to help habitat for humanity or something like that.

Lots of great ideas so far, lets keep em coming!

FallAirFever
Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Tucumseh

Great idea Tree, your a genius!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Shedcrazy

What about making the Alberta version of the "Hunt of a Lifetime" program, which helps organize hunts for children with terminal illnesses.

Good cause and good PR....
Old 03-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Tree Guy

Thanks for the input Guys, keep 'er coming!

The motivation for this idea is a direct result of the battle that happened on the Black Guns/Assult Rifle thread. The basis of my argument was the importance of public perception as an influencing factor in political decisions.

The objective of this 'grass roots' idea is to widen the gap between gun owners and gun crime. This is not an original thought on my part, as this has been a proven model.

Years ago, bikers decided that they were tired of being considered criminals because of their bikes. They then created the 'Teddy Bear Run'. This happens annually across our country and the end result is that the public looks at bikers in a different light. With one event (with fantastic media coverage) they have managed to create a public opinion that differentiates those who are 'bikers' and those who ride bikes.

Let's look at what they have done so, so, so succesfully and improve upon it. Let's do what we can to make the public realize that there is a huge difference between gun crime and gun ownership.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Canmoron

The 'Teddy Bear Run' and wha it did for motorcycle clubs is a good analogy in turning around public perception.

Andrew
Old 03-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Tree Guy

Boys, we need more post on this thread or its going to page 4! We need ideas. Lets do a friendly competition between topics. Lets challange other site, lets challange other mags, lets keep this thread on the number one page. I need some back-up here. Rob, Rub, Lil, Brady, Morb, Sheep, 209..........
Old 03-13-2007, 07:39 AM
IDEA'S

Default IDEA'S

"Boys, we need more post on this thread or its going to page 4! We need ideas. Lets do a friendly competition between topics. Lets challange other site, lets challange other mags, lets keep this thread on the number one page. I need some back-up here. Rob, Rub, Lil, Brady, Morb, Sheep, 209.......... "

I dont know what you are thinking of more post's of ideas ???? Competition between topics .Challange other sites ,other mag's etc.I for one like the idea of a Community Chest Donate ,give what ever you want to call it nice and easy.I like your enthusiasm
Old 03-13-2007, 01:23 PM
M70

Default Re: IDEA'S

I'm undecided if I would prefer to support a hunting based charity idea or one that is broader reaching. I like the idea of AO getting behind a conventional charity to show that we really are part of the greater community. On the other hand, I also like Shedcrazy's idea of establishing an Alberta version of "Hunt of a Lifetime" for terminally ill children.

Apparently, the "Make a Wish Foundation" people in the US turned down the offer by hunters to provide hunts for kids (fear of public perception again) so a group decided to create their own hunting related version of Make a Wish. I can tell you that it was hard to read the recent article in that American hunting magazine without feeling the old heartstrings being pulled.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:02 PM
citysfs

Count me in ... from the other side...NE BC
Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Hatfisher

Here's an Idea. How about a program that provides a hunter education program for young hunters and hold a annual event that allows new hunters to have a chance at maybe a 3d style shoot useing both archery and rifle, and maybe trap shooting. Perhaps some fishing trips for youths sponsored by Alberta Outdoorsman and perhaps the Fish and Game Ass. Just an Idea, I don't think it must go to a charity though the tax break helps.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Tree Guy

Great ideas guys. 'Hunt of a lifetime', that's great, I'd be proud to be a part of something like that. But that is not the objective of this idea. My thought is to find something OUTSIDE of the hunting/fishing/trapping world, where we as gun owners can transcend the public image of guns. Instead of people with guns commiting crimes that gets on the TV news every night, we can be on TV as gun owners who are helping food banks in rural comunities, we could be gun owners helping to fight drug addictions in comunities. Doing charitable work to help those who already support us, frankly, does nothing for us. We have to reach out and find a cause where we can help to make a difference to someone that will garner some positive headlines for a change. It has to be something different.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Jamie Hunt

IMHO
Tree Guy is right. If we wish to protray ourselfs in a different light, then we must move to a different stage.

Jamie
Old 03-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Funtimetim

I'm in!!!!

I'd be willing to donate the use of a Polaris Ranger or Polaris A.T.V for a "Hunt of a Lifetime" to a deserving youth.

Tim
Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Tree Guy

Thanks Jamie and Tim. It would take a couple of years to really get a concept like this 'up-and-running', and trying to make a big splash in the first year is only asking for trouble, until logistics are worked out. However, if things go well, there is no reason to limit ourselves to a single cause. I love the 'Hunt of a Lifetime' idea, so long as IT IS NOT A CANNED HUNT!!

It's amazing what small ideas can do. My 5 year old son just had his first hockey tournment. Teams were asked to bring canned goods for the food bank, and they made a little competition out of it, and in one weekend over 2400 cans were collected!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Shedcrazy

At least there are templates out there to work from and I am sure once we contacted the "hunt of a lifetime" program they would be very helpful to get us going...

As far as other ideas outside of the outdoor stage I have no ideas...I think it would nice to keep in the outdoor theme but it does not need to include hunting...
Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
kanonfodder

Off the top I would suggest maybe footing the bill and maybe donating some labour for a kids playground in the Calgary area, I remember when I was younger a bunch of adults in my neighbourhood put together a big tire park over the course of a few weekends with donated supplies and volunteers, still a vivid memory.....

.....or perhaps trying to raise enough $$$ for a van for a boys/girls club to use, with Donated by the members of Alberta outdoorsmen.ca on it prominetly

......donation or volunteer support to the Scouts, as a way to further their interest in the outdoors
Old 03-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Tree Guy

Those are fantastic ideas Kannon!