Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 AM

Default Truck won't start

I have a 2009 GMC 3/4 that won't start. The truck sat in the garage for the last 12 days. Started with the remote start with no problems. Ran for an hour and shut off. Went outside about 5 minutes later to leave and nothing. Truck won't even try to turn over. Put a booster pack on it, nothing. Put a trickle charger on it for about 8 hours, nothing. Tried to boost it with the wife's car and nothing. You can hear the fuel pump and the fan when you turn the key but It won't turn over. There isn't even a click. Seems weird that it started with no troubles the 1st time.

Any ideas or should I just get it towed to the shop?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I have a 2009 GMC 3/4 that won't start. The truck sat in the garage for the last 12 days. Started with the remote start with no problems. Ran for an hour and shut off. Went outside about 5 minutes later to leave and nothing. Truck won't even try to turn over. Put a booster pack on it, nothing. Put a trickle charger on it for about 8 hours, nothing. Tried to boost it with the wife's car and nothing. You can hear the fuel pump and the fan when you turn the key but It won't turn over. There isn't even a click. Seems weird that it started with no troubles the 1st time.

Try disconnecting the battery for a while to reset the remote starter.
I've had remote starter demons create havoc in my wife's truck before...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 AM

Do a computer reset if the battery not dead, if that don't work I'd guess it's tow time.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 AM

How old is your battery? Check to see how many volts it is putting out. Clean off the battery terminals and inside the battery cables. I'd probably buy a new battery before paying for a tow.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Sounds like maybe a seized starter. They can work intermintently till they finally give
Old 03-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Also, as funny as this sounds, make sure it is in park or neutral. Had this happen on one of my older trucks where every once and a while I had to shift it out into drive and then shift back into park. My linkage was loose and it wasnt registering that it was in park and wouldnt turn over.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM

Battery is about 2 years old. I'll try the reset. Tow is free as we have AMA so I'm not against just letting somebody else look at it.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 AM

First stop for me would be the battery cables & terminals, I've had poor or corroded connections foil me many times. A good wire brush and a light coat of copper anti-seize compound and it never happens again (at least from the connection as the culprit)
Old 03-03-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Hopefully Quinn security did not do the install, they put one in my 3/4 ton silverado, however they did not install properly, and my truck did the same I ended up putting in a new computer as they did not install the proper relays or if any at all, took almost a week for gm to figure out it was the remote starter...Thats why on remote starter threads I always say stay away from quinn..
Old 03-03-2014, 11:53 AM

x2 what Caber said. Check to see that you don't have a cracked terminal clamp. It's happened to me before. KISS
Old 03-03-2014, 12:03 PM

Cables seem good. Disconnected and reconnected the battery. Now the "Service Theft Deterrent System" warning has come up and it is still doing the same thing.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Sounds like maybe a seized starter. They can work intermintently till they finally give
my first thought was actually if there is no click, problem is before the starter. I would be checking the solenoid first before pulling the starter.

This is of course assuming that there is nothing electrical wrong with the remote starters. This is the big dread i have of my future upgrade to a new vehicle.... I cant pull it apart myself and much harder to diagnose what is wrong.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Cables seem good. Disconnected and reconnected the battery. Now the "Service Theft Deterrent System" warning has come up and it is still doing the same thing.
You need to leave it disconected for a few minutes. But sounds to me like you have a computer issue. I had the same issue several times on a 2011. Finally removed remote start permanently.
Dealer couldn't reset the computer without disconnecting the remote start. I was told the theft deterrent gives the inboard computer a different multi digit code every time it starts. When they install the remote start they have to install an anti theft bypass. The bypass "tricks" the computer into accepting a false code. For a while. Until one day the computer just shuts everything down. Then it's tow time.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:14 PM

is it possible the hood safety for the remote start is affecting it from starting?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyperch View Post
is it possible the hood safety for the remote start is affecting it from starting?
Great suggestion! Could be that the switch is faulty as well.

Check fuses too... There may be some in the remote start harnesses as well...
Old 03-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I pulled the Theft Deterrent fuse (fuse #35), put it back in and the truck fired up right away.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Sounds like the starter is locked out by the remote. Cycle the key multiple times until as if to start and shut-off in quick succession until it energizes the circuit
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I pulled the Theft Deterrent fuse (fuse #35), put it back in and the truck fired up right away.
Awesome! Glad to hear you're up and running again.