Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 10:09 PM

Default Freezers

We are shopping around for a new freezer and thinking of an upright model. Our current freezer is over thirty years old and is still going but I'm thinking it would be better to get a new one before my old one goes in the middle of summer. ( I'd hate to lose this falls hard earned meet )

What brands/makes do you fellows have that have stood the test of time. Searching the web only shows me that most brands are pure crap out in less than two years.

Does anyone make them like they used to ?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 PM

I've had a Maytag upright Model MQU1654BEW since 2007 and its been trouble free. I did build the cupboard in our laundry room where its housed to accommodate the largest unit available though, as I think we'll have to upsize at some point, probably the year I finally get my moose draw.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post

. . . Searching the web only shows me that most brands are pure crap out in less than two years . . .

Wow! Never heard of that ^ !

Most good quality, brand name, Energy Guide rated freezers should last 25+ years. Where are you getting your information from?

Mac
Old 02-28-2014, 10:47 PM

I was reading a lot of forums. Frigidaire which got top ratings was one of the worst.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 PM

It looks like mine is a 16 cubic foot model, and they seem to top out around 21 cubic feet on the one page I looked up, at least for models that will fit in the typical space left in the cupboards.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:15 PM

I think mine is a whirlpool I think(I'm not at home)
Problem free sense 2010 or 2011
Get a 20 cubic feet or bigger because you can't fit as much in it as the chest
But thats a good thing....
I got mine for 1/2 price... Just shop around n look for sales
Old 02-28-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:

I was reading a lot of forums. Frigidaire which got top ratings was one of the worst.
Consumer Reports (I'm a member) indicates that all the major brands make very good quality freezers ... and they also make some 'marginal' quality freezers. I can't link you to their ratings, because you have to be a member to view that page.

I can only guess, but I suspect that most of the people who are complaining about the quality of their freezers, bought inexpensive 'marginal', entry-level models ... you get what you pay for?

Here's a page on the Consumer Reports site that I can show you, that might be of some general help (Getting Started / Types / Features / Brands) ... http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/f...ying-guide.htm

Hope that helps,

Mac
Old 03-01-2014, 07:47 AM

Default freezer

would not sweat the small stuff.If the old girl is pluged in and running continaully you have no worries.The old school built like a tank versions were incredible.My uncle has a freezer he bought in 63.In his shop now.Sits in a corner and just works.If they are unplugged and left dormant for 6 months different story.Had 5 different varietys only 1 left running,you guessed it the only one that still answers the bell an old Zener brand.Built at the dawn of time
Old 03-01-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I have to agree with this, I bought an expensive Frigidaire. It works ok but its the loudest most annoying appliance in the house. And dont even bother dealing with Frigidaire, they are useless imo. The microwave is quieter.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Over the last few days a cardboard box sitting on my porch was pretty efficient....lol

Just had to say that.....

Good luck in your search. I see Home Depot and Sears had a one or two in their last couple of flyers.

Nothing is made to last these days. I got 4 years out of my last 12cu/ft chest freezer not a stand-up and the one prior to that was 18 years old....I do not have the answer!
I do however keep a thermometer on top of my food at all time to monitor the temperature.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Default freezer

if you do buy an upright. (my choice)
do not buy a frost free. more to go wrong.
the manual one will last a lot longer & use less energy.
also less freezer burn.

I may have to defrost mine every 2 years or so.

orv.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:33 AM

Engineered Obsolescence is built into all new appliances, Your 30year old freezer will probably still out last a new one. I have a 40 yr old fridge in the basement it is still working. A kenmore bought 10 years ago is on it's way to the dump.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:43 AM

The 1960's vintage chest freezer in my mother-in-law's basement is still working, but I had to re-insulate the lid with sheet foam. The thing was just insulted with fibreglass and had accumulated a solid block of ice in the lid, which upon closing one day this ice build-up broke and knocked out the flimsy plastic liner. I believe we'll have to cut that freezer into pieces to remove it from Mom's basement, as it was originally moved down there when the basement was excavated and built under their old house. My wife tells me the freezer predates 1970.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post

if you do buy an upright. (my choice)
do not buy a frost free. more to go wrong.
the manual one will last a lot longer & use less energy.
also less freezer burn.

I may have to defrost mine every 2 years or so.

orv.
Because it's a little more effective (no warm spots) and more efficient (lower energy use), we went with a chest freezer instead ... but like your upright, it's also 'manual-defrost'.

As it only needs to be defrosted about once every two years, I don't really have an issue with it. In the winter, I use our unheated garage as our temporary freezer, while we do the freezer shut-down and defrost (today would be a good day for it ). It also makes for an opportunity to give the freezer a good cleaning, both inside and out, including the compressor area.

Upright, or chest freezer is a personal choice (the uprights are more convenient), but I would avoid the 'frost-free' models because of their many issues (higher cost, freezer burn, more to go wrong, higher energy use, etc.).

My two nickles

Mac

Last edited by Selkirk; 03-01-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:49 AM

Default Woods Is working fine for over 15 years Now

Our upright Woods is working just fine. The issue with the failures in freezers is if they have an ice maker in them. That's what has the issues usually and it is with all the brands. SImple is best with less to break.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:01 AM

Default Upright

Make sure you get a locking door and use it.

Ours did not close properly once. ( too full or too lazy ? )
Ended up with a mess.
Use the lock now everytime.

It is not frost free. It is 20 years old. Has been moved to 5 different homes.
Defrost every couple years. We are in it at least every second day.

Spend a few extra bucks and over many many years it shakes out to be worth it.
Our's is a "Woods" no idea of the quality factor. I inherited it sort of.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:05 AM

uprite freezers...we have a fridgidaire model from the brick...
twice now we have went to get something out of the freezer and found that the door wasnt fully closed. lost all of the contents and a big sticky mess to clean up. freshly picked and processed 2013 crop of garden peas, berries and carrots, meats, hamburger, etc. and a pail of good ice cream...oh the humanity!!!
now we dont know why it was open a couple of inches but it was enough to frost and melt the entire load, it could have not fully closed due to overloading and bag of peas wedged the door opened...or the grandkid hunting for revels didnt fully close it.
its not the designers fault just frustrating as the contents easily exceeded the cost of the brand new freezer both times.
maybe a hi temp alarm might be a cool invention to flange together

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-02-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Make sure you get a locking door and use it.

Ours did not close properly once. ( too full or too lazy ? )
Ended up with a mess.
Use the lock now everytime.
too funny you posted at the same time i was drafting mine with the same issue

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-02-2014, 10:17 AM

We've got our fair share of freezers at our house.
The oldest being a mid 80's chest freezer, that won't die, it's been abused beyond belief, even getting a good hammering by the wife's van when one of her clients decided a drive thru was needed in our garage ( long story)
2 uprights, and another chest freezer, compliment the array.

Appliances seem to last us longer than a lot of folks, is it because my dad taught me to level things up before turning them on, I don't know?

In 20 years in our house we've only had to replace a clothes washing machine, and the refrigerator that was in the house when we bought it.

Is this normal?

There are no absolutes
Old 03-02-2014, 11:02 AM

I was told by a salesman that I have known for a long time that no matter what make of fridge or freezer you buy now the life expectancy is less than 7 years. This is a product of the energy efficiency of the units now. The compressors are sized much smaller than the old units so they use less power. These smaller compressors have to work at their full capacity to keep up and as such wear out much faster. He also told me that most "high end" models have all the same parts. They just have more bells and whistles and maybe a "premium" name.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man of steel View Post
I was told by a salesman that I have known for a long time that no matter what make of fridge or freezer you buy now the life expectancy is less than 7 years. This is a product of the energy efficiency of the units now. The compressors are sized much smaller than the old units so they use less power. These smaller compressors have to work at their full capacity to keep up and as such wear out much faster. He also told me that most "high end" models have all the same parts. They just have more bells and whistles and maybe a "premium" name.
Everybody knows a guy, who knows a guy, who said something, about something.
And it's always a salesman......
Interesting.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Everybody knows a guy, who knows a guy, who said something, about something.
And it's always a salesman......
Interesting.
That ^ is totally priceless

Thanks Dick!

Mac
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 AM

I have the Frigidaire Gallery GLFH21F8HW upright. The unit runs great no issues for the last 5yrs. On the front is a temperature gauge and when the unit is not running properly or the temperature is to warm an alarm will sound.

The alarm is a great feature, my son was 16 at the time and in and out of the freezer constantly. He left the door open when the temp hit -10, a high pitch alarm sounded. Best part is I didn't know it had that feature and it took about 5min to find that he left the door open.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 AM

Default Makes me feel better

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
too funny you posted at the same time i was drafting mine with the same issue
To know I am not the only one who had experience.