Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 PM

Default 6 wt. line on 5 wt. rod?

Does it work OK to use 6 wt. floating line on a 5 wt. rod, or do I have to get new line to match the rod. Thanks for the advise.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:30 PM

Depending on the rod it may work as well or better, could be worse for that matter. If it is a matter of getting out to try, do it and see. If it is a newer rod and you are new to fly fishing the 6wt will probably work better as you will be casting less line than an experience caster. The 6wt is heavier but easier to cast short distances, if your airing it out you might wish for the 5wt. Hope that helps.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 PM

Default 6 wt. line on

Thanks for that. I've got a 6 weight rod now, and 2 reels, both spooled up with 6 wff. line. I was thinking of getting a second rod, maybe in a 5 wt. Don't think getting more line if I don't have to.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:58 PM

I can't see any advantage to getting a 5wt unless you can cast it better than the a 6wt with the lines you have. I visit to a fly shop to try out different rods and rod weights might be your best bet, try your lines on different rods. It has been my experience that 6wt rods are meant to punch line out and a 5wt is sliding into a finesse type rod and will usually carry around a 5.5wt and the 6wt will be around 6.75wt to a 7wt for more distance.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-01-2013, 12:11 AM

U can use a 6wt double taper on a 5 weight rod and be ok but not a 6wt weight foward

I use a 4weight forward on my 5wt rod. U get the idea
Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 AM

Default 6 wt. line on

What do you think about getting a 4 wt. rod? I'll be using it on trout up to about 12 inches in small ponds. It just seems my 6 wt. is a bit heavy for this use? Does a 4 wt. cast fairly well. I can cast around 50'-60' fairly easy with my 6 wt.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
What do you think about getting a 4 wt. rod? I'll be using it on trout up to about 12 inches in small ponds. It just seems my 6 wt. is a bit heavy for this use? Does a 4 wt. cast fairly well. I can cast around 50'-60' fairly easy with my 6 wt.
Sounds like it was made for a 4wt, just be aware they can get hard to cast with any amount of wind, if it's sheltered or you are fishing morning, evening that would be my choice. I live on the prairies and a four weight is impractical unless the wind is down, prefer a 6wt for that reason. My 6wt rods carry a lot more line in the air as well, but I can get 50' pretty easily with my 4wt if there is no wind. If the wind gets up it just pushes the line around.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-01-2013, 05:17 AM

I would say it depends on what rigs you fish. If you're going with catatonic leeches or chironomids where you need to cast a 15 foot leader with a fly or two and an indicator, then your 6wt might be better. however if you fish mostly dries, I'd go down to a 4 or even a 3. I usually carry both my 6wt for fishing under an indicator in ponds, as well as a 2 or 4wt with my in my boat rigged up in case I see risers.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 09-01-2013, 08:05 AM

Default 6 wt. line on

Thanks so much for all your input guys! I'm usually using beadheads up to size 10, or chironomids under an indicator. I'm always casting from shore. Enjoy the weekend.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM

When adding to your collection of rods you will cover more bases by going up or down in 2 wt incriments. If you have a 6 you will be better served going to a four next. I would suggest not over complicating things by mismatching line wts when you are on your second rod. It does not make sense for you to fish a 5 wt. rod with 6 wt line while fishing close in. Just buy the 4 wt. Keep things simple and spend your extra cash on gasoline to get to the water and cast.