Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 AM

If you use WestJet's regular scheduled flights like the ones to Cabo Mexico for instance, and book a resort with them that they use in their 'WestJet Vacation Packages', you can chose the cheap flight days off their scheduled flights website, add as many days as you wish, and build your own 'WestJet Vacation' at a significant savings. You can also adjust the length of stay to suit your preferences, rather than the usual 7/14 day package choices.

Often, WestJet Vacations are using the same scheduled flights as you are for their package customers. So although you are on a 'package' vacation, you are on the same plane as people who just purchased a plane ticket, and are DIY for accommodation.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:04 AM

I didn't read the three pages of posts so someone may have said this already but you need to AVOID Jamaica completely. Canada and the States have had travel warnings out on Jamaica for a long time. It is now so dangerous there that even the Jamaican Government has issued a travel warning advising all foreigners to not come to Jamaica. They are admitting they have lost control. You aren't even safe in the big resorts, there are lots of reports of murder, rape, and robbery by the people working at the resorts.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Sigh...as I said.. CHARTERS fly direct from Calgary, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Air Transat is a charter..
They are actually just regular Airlines. Under Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR's) part 705, commercial airline operators. Many airlines conduct separate charter flights as part of their regular operations.
Sunwing, Transat, etc are the same category as AC or Westjet. They all have scheduled flights and even if they change seasonally, it does not make them a "charter airline". If they rent out their aircraft to someone or a private business for special flights or non-scheduled operations, then it's technically a charter.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/....aspx?lang=eng

-From someone who has been in aviation for 15 years.

On the original subject, definitely Cuba over Jamaica, just for safety reasons.
Way too many travel warning about Jamaica. As others have mentioned, Belize is awesome as well for snorkeling and diving!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I didn't read the three pages of posts so someone may have said this already but you need to AVOID Jamaica completely. Canada and the States have had travel warnings out on Jamaica for a long time. It is now so dangerous there that even the Jamaican Government has issued a travel warning advising all foreigners to not come to Jamaica. They are admitting they have lost control. You aren't even safe in the big resorts, there are lots of reports of murder, rape, and robbery by the people working at the resorts.
and half a dozen guys will say 'we go there all the time, you just have to be smart, it is safe if you stay on the resorts' blah blah blah

And I agree with you completely. 3rd world feceshole.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-12-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
and half a dozen guys will say 'we go there all the time, you just have to be smart, it is safe if you stay on the resorts' blah blah blah

Some time you sure come across poorly Ken...

Myself and my gal spent this past Christmas and the New Year in Ocha Rios and had a great time. Half our time was spent off the resort and not once did I feel uncomfortable. During the holidays, the police we no where to be seen....

We actually enjoyed the locals market on Sunday where we were the only Caucasians to in the area. I don't do the touristy things, so I think I can accurately speak on this subject.

To each there own, but by no means was Jamaica as you labeled it.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post

Myself and my gal spent this past Christmas and the New Year in Ocha Rios and had a great time. Half our time was spent off the resort and not once did I feel uncomfortable. During the holidays, the police we no where to be seen....

We actually enjoyed the locals market on Sunday where we were the only Caucasians to in the area. I don't do the touristy things, so I think I can accurately speak on this subject.

To each there own, but by no means was Jamaica as you labeled it.
Did you even read what Dean wrote? Are you just trying to fight?

I would not have thought you would bypass everything else just to get a dig in. Guess I was wrong about you, talking about 'coming off poorly'

Canada and the States have had travel warnings out on Jamaica for a long time. It is now so dangerous there that even the Jamaican Government has issued a travel warning advising all foreigners to not come to Jamaica. They are admitting they have lost control. You aren't even safe in the big resorts, there are lots of reports of murder, rape, and robbery by the people working at the resorts.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-12-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I would not have thought you would bypass everything else just to get a dig in. Guess I was wrong about you, talking about 'coming off poorly'

Canada and the States have had travel warnings out on Jamaica for a long time. It is now so dangerous there that even the Jamaican Government has issued a travel warning advising all foreigners to not come to Jamaica. They are admitting they have lost control. You aren't even safe in the big resorts, there are lots of reports of murder, rape, and robbery by the people working at the resorts.
I would not go to Jamaica, but we never felt at all at risk in Cuba, even when we were touring the cities, or the back country.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would not go to Jamaica, but we never felt at all at risk in Cuba, even when we were touring the cities, or the back country.
I've been to a lot of places and would have to say Cuba hands down was probably the safest. Jamaica was probably the least but we weren't in a resort in Jamaica so can't comment on the resorts. Aruba was very good to.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My Daughter said the same, they never felt scared in Cuba at all but the service and everything is on a downhill slide.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:54 PM

I have travelled to some of the most dangerous places in the world and to date i have got away with it. That said I didn't and would never take my family those places. Even with my experience and luck. U would not get me to Jamaica right now. Cuba no problem. One of the safest holiday destinations there is. Right up there with japan. Far safer than the states, which is sti plenty safe for holidays, or many places in mexico.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Do you have an official source of this . Like I said in an earlier post , I was in Jamaica when the travel alert was issued by Canada. I heard of no statements by the Jamaica government. Talked to dozens of other people from many resorts no one said they didn’t feel safe. I dobt these reports of murder , rape, and robbery within the resorts,,,, because I was there . Maybe I’m wrong but do you have documentation of this Jamaican travel warning.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Yes Ken I did read what Dean wrote but like I said in my post I was there only a few months ago and felt no threat at all... I even mentioned the holidays were the Jamaican police were not present touring around deep into the cultural areas, again feeling no threat.

Quote:

Above is your comment where I felt you came off poorly, the word feceshole to me is very condescending and INACCURATE as per my recent findings.

But if I am out of line, please let me know YOUR experiences in Jamaica recently that provides credibility to your findings this country.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Yes Ken I did read what Dean wrote but like I said in my post I was there only a few months ago and felt no threat at all... I even mentioned the holidays were the Jamaican police were not present touring around deep into the cultural areas, again feeling no threat.Above is your comment where I felt you came off poorly, the word feceshole to me is very condescending and INACCURATE as per my recent findings.But if I am out of line, please let me know YOUR experiences in Jamaica recently that provides credibility to your findings this country.
If I offended you calling a country a name that is somehow offensive to you for whatever reason I apologize.

When Canada gives warnings and then the country itself gives warnings though, if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck.....

Why would you take it so personal that you have to berate me? Do you own stocks or a hotel in Jamaica and feel my opinion is costing your resort money?

Old 03-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Banned

Our Government

Manages and Meddle's with our Energy programs, wonderful job , pipelines are progressing at a not so rapid pace.

They are now planning on further restricting law abiding taxpayers to curb gun and gang violence.

I'm now supposed to heed warnings from some ******* in Ottawa on where to travel.

I've travelled to Cuba , Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Aruba, Bahamas, Panama, Costa Rica. Southern Florida , Memphis, Chicago, New Orleans.

Was not 100% comfortable in Southern Florida or Memphis.

Cuba doesn't offer much value. Jamaicans attitude was give me money mon .

Panama and Costa Rica offer great value.

I winter in Mexico 2 days drive south of the US border.
Great value , and more important Great People

Yes there are issues but far less then downtown Edmonton on a Saturday night.

Just because there is violence in any large city doesn't mean all of that city or the province should be avoided.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
My Daughter said the same, they never felt scared in Cuba at all but the service and everything is on a downhill slide.
We only pick newer five star resorts, and the last resort was very good. The previous one was quite good as well, with the exception of the water not being as hot as we prefer for showers. Food and cleanliness was not an issue at either resort. If the service is on the downhill slide, it must have been truly exceptional in the past.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Do you have an official source of this . Like I said in an earlier post , I was in Jamaica when the travel alert was issued by Canada. I heard of no statements by the Jamaica government. Talked to dozens of other people from many resorts no one said they didn’t feel safe. I dobt these reports of murder , rape, and robbery within the resorts,,,, because I was there . Maybe I’m wrong but do you have documentation of this Jamaican travel warning.
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4494841

This was in
Mid jan and it was exttended in feb. Google is your friend but if u insist ot is perfectly safe Because nothing happened to you have it. There is areason to check canada amd usa travel advisory. They dont print that for the fun of it
Old 03-12-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you own stocks or a hotel in Jamaica and feel my opinion is costing your resort money?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica B View Post
And every time I know exactly how you come across...

I knew you had some stupid remark about me before I even opened the thread. Knew it as soon as I saw you had replied.

Is this your 9th post-ban name or 300th?

Old 03-12-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
........ cuba, I need a location that is good for a beginner. I need something with plenty to see in shallow water, also need clear water........
Varadero, Barracuda Dive, "Coral Beach". It is a shallow shore dive. Lots to see fish,coral and cave. They don't dive it every day so best to contact them in advance.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:37 PM

I like Cuba a lot.
I like Mexico a lot as well.
Dominican.... little sketchy..and yucky once outside the walls..

Depends on what you do, people your with.

You are foreign traveler with more money in the bank than these people will ever see.

What do you expect??

Travel smart, keep your head on a swivel..and be prepared.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
I'm hooked!
Thanks
You can arrange the boat to pick you up along any shore line accommodation.

There are many FRBO...many Canadian owned...I know of two that are owned by Calgarians. PM if you want names and I can see what I can do for you.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin