Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Banned

Default Products to clean a hard wall holiday trailer/Fiberglas boat

Hey All,

I Have an 07 Fiberglas walled holiday trailer and it is starting to look a bit weathered/faded. Has anyone had some success with any products to de-oxidize and polish the trailer. Same issue arises with my boat. I’m sure others here are facing the same issues.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:36 AM

I use super clean on my motor home and atv’s then I wax my rv
Old 03-11-2018, 09:55 AM

Default Poli-Glo

I use this stuff on my trailer and boat and it works very well. There is a cleaners that you spray on, scrub and rinse then apply the Poli to the dried surface. 3 thin coats and it will shine like new, reapply each year. Doing the entire trailer takes a couple hours including drying time, the boat maybe an hour.

A litre of this stuff is fairly expensive IIRC but lasts years. Got mine at Industrial Plastics
Old 03-11-2018, 10:21 AM

spray nine works well
I did a 78 Boler the black mold ran off I was impressed
Old 03-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Engine degreaser worked well on our RV - got all the black spots off it. RV was about 10 years old at the time and it came out looking nearly brand new.

Spray on, scrub with brush, then spray off with water.

Seems the RV cleaning products I tried previous were too mild - I'd have been there for days if I had to use them.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:01 PM

Scrubbing bubbles shower cleaner..
Old 03-11-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Refinishing

Scrubbed with soap and water each year, but will be trying the floor polish after too see what kind of results I can get.
Zep floor polish seems to be the go to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=064ZMNYYG8Y
Old 03-11-2018, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
I use this stuff on my trailer and boat and it works very well. There is a cleaners that you spray on, scrub and rinse then apply the Poli to the dried surface. 3 thin coats and it will shine like new, reapply each year. Doing the entire trailer takes a couple hours including drying time, the boat maybe an hour.

A litre of this stuff is fairly expensive IIRC but lasts years. Got mine at Industrial Plastics
Good response. Most of the suggestions in this thread are only for cleaning and if you don't seal and or polish it after it will just oxidize again, probably even quicker.

How do you find the Poly Glow holding up over time?
Old 03-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Banned

Default Poli Glow

That Poli Glow product really peaked my interest so I had a look into it. I have a newer '09 hardwall trailer that I thought that I might use it on but "Poli Glow is not intended for use on new or shiny fiberglass." has me thinking otherwise. I think that I'll stick to washing and waxing it annually.
PS If you use carnauba wax it attracts bees for the first few days.

For best results, please read carefully BEFORE using our product
Poli Glow is a gelcoat restoration system, which is designed to restore faded and oxidized fiberglass. Poli Glow is not intended for use on new or shiny fiberglass.

https://www.poliglow.ca/images/2014_PREPARATION.pdf
Old 03-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
That Poli Glow product really peaked my interest so I had a look into it. I have a newer '09 hardwall trailer that I thought that I might use it on but "Poli Glow is not intended for use on new or shiny fiberglass." has me thinking otherwise. I think that I'll stick to washing and waxing it annually.
PS If you use carnauba wax it attracts bees for the first few days.

For best results, please read carefully BEFORE using our product
Poli Glow is a gelcoat restoration system, which is designed to restore faded and oxidized fiberglass. Poli Glow is not intended for use on new or shiny fiberglass.

https://www.poliglow.ca/images/2014_PREPARATION.pdf
Yeah, may have to do some research into what they consider "oxidized". It's hard for a used unit not to be oxidized to some extent, even 1 year old units oxidize if they sit out uncovered 24/7.
Mine's a 2014 so I'll have to look into it further.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 PM

Good stuff I need to wash n wax my travel trailer this spring. I’ve washed it multiple times a year but the waxing hasn’t happened. I need to get any stains off and wax it up as soon as it’s warm enough.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:21 PM

3 part kit from Meguiars includes #49 oxidation remover, #45 high gloss polish, and # 56 pure wax. Three step process but will give you what you are looking for. I tried a few of the one step products from rv dealers but they just don't get rid of the heavy oxidation. Bought my stuff from Silver Automotive in Lethbridge,AB.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Good response. Most of the suggestions in this thread are only for cleaning and if you don't seal and or polish it after it will just oxidize again, probably even quicker.

How do you find the Poly Glow holding up over time?
It has held up at least as good as wax, maybe better. Each year a quick spray/scrub on areas that look oxidized and another Poli coat everywhere. The oxidized areas are getting fewer and fewer each year hence the job takes less time.
I don't doubt that several days of high quality wax and power polishing will get the same result but my trailer is 12 years old and appearance is just one factor in valuation.
Talk to the guys at Industrial Plastics...very knowledgeable on what works...they sell tons of this stuff (guess for a very good reason).
Old 03-12-2018, 09:30 AM

Home Hardware has a siding cleaner. Wash with it. Gets rid of the oxidation and when the material is properly cleaned the finish is smooth, shiny and looks really good.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:58 PM

Mr clean magic eraser
rv shop told me about it

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”