Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2018, 10:35 PM

Default Jet Outboard Motors

I'm looking to buy an 18 foot long jon boat and wanted to run a few rivers.
Any thoughts on what size Jet leg to put on it and what brand?
I figure I would get a lot of different answers on this but looking to learn a few things
Any thoughts appreciated

Last edited by nube; 03-10-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:02 PM

If you have to cash go yamaha. Remember that you lose hp with a jet. A 115 becomes an 85 & so on. I once had a 19 ft with an evenrude 115/85 jet and felt it was slow. On an 18 I would not go less but I'm sure there will be lots of opinions.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:05 AM

I've got a 16' Lund with a 90/65 Evinrude and I do not consider it overpowered.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:15 AM

What are you going to be using it for? Explorere jet boats out of Edmonton make a very nice boat with an outboard jet.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
What are you going to be using it for? Explorere jet boats out of Edmonton make a very nice boat with an outboard jet.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:41 AM

Hi - it is not necessarily size, but weight of the hull and expected cargo weight that will determine power required (as well as the power rating for you hull/transom). Below link to OBJ should give you a starting point - power to weight chart is at the bottom. Feel free to pm me, I would be happy to share what I have learned over the years with regards to power, weight, altitude etc etc etc.

http://outboardjets.com/boat-selection/
Old 03-11-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I've got a 16' Lund with a 90/65 Evinrude and I do not consider it overpowered.
I have a 16' Prince craft and find the 90/60 ETec Evinrude to be just great considering I run loaded with camp gear on the NSR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1220.jpg (97.1 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:52 AM

I have an explorer 16ft with a Yamaha 60/40 on it and with 2 guys in the boat it has plenty of power for the North Sask with 3 guys and gear in the boat it does the job but i could use a little more power as it has work to get up on step
Old 03-11-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
I have a 16' Prince craft and find the 90/60 ETec Evinrude to be just great considering I run loaded with camp gear on the NSR
Mine is roughly 20 years old but I have no doubt newer ones are a big improvement in power and economy.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:30 PM

In an 18 ft boat there is no inherent advantage to the outboard jet. They get worse to about the same gas mileage with the same load, are easier to damage and hang extra weight way back off the transom. The outboards work okay, but for precise steering, instant pickup and the ultimate in Skinny water running the inbaord comes out ahead.

Go talk to the guys at Explorer. They make a Great boat and they know a ton about jet boats. If it were me, I would be seriuosly looking at a good used boat for the first one or two, till you are 100% sure exactly what you want and what kinds of use you actually use it for.

P,S, there are a couple of Explorer outboard rigs for sale on Kijiji right now. IF you decide to go outboard, then Merc or Yamaha are the only real two choices. The others are all okay as outboards, but for converting to Jet the Merc and Yams are in a class of their own.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Think the Jon boat I am looking at is 550lbs. Not overly heavy. The main purpose is to run it in a lake for duck hunting but figured I would get a jet to run the NSR for a little fun now and then. Not looking to haul much around but use it the odd time to run up and down.
Thanks for the replies guys
Old 03-11-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Think the Jon boat I am looking at is 550lbs. Not overly heavy. The main purpose is to run it in a lake for duck hunting but figured I would get a jet to run the NSR for a little fun now and then. Not looking to haul much around but use it the odd time to run up and down.
That is a WHOLE different ball of string. If you want to be able to hunt swamps a jet is going to be a REALLY bad choice. They plug a lot if you are motoring where there is any kind of weed. Even heavy leaf cover will plug them up.

If you want a motor for a light weight Jon boat, and remember those light weight versions won't take much smaking on rocks or running over gravel beds, I would seriously look at a Mud Drive like they use down south. They will push on mud, weeds etc and never bind up. Work perfect for what you want and will run shallow rivers like the NSR just great, as long as you don't try going over gravel that is too shallow..

https://www.freedom-outboard.com/

https://prodriveoutboards.com/

Explorer Industries I believe sells a version of the shallow ware drive system.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-11-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
That is a WHOLE different ball of string. If you want to be able to hunt swamps a jet is going to be a REALLY bad choice. They plug a lot if you are motoring where there is any kind of weed. Even heavy leaf cover will plug them up.

If you want a motor for a light weight Jon boat, and remember those light weight versions won't take much smaking on rocks or running over gravel beds, I would seriously look at a Mud Drive like they use down south. They will push on mud, weeds etc and never bind up. Work perfect for what you want and will run shallow rivers like the NSR just great, as long as you don't try going over gravel that is too shallow..

X2
Old 03-11-2018, 04:30 PM

Its not a swamp I plan on using it in guys. Its a lake and is not like you think.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:25 PM

Put the most HP on it that it is rated for. If you are ever in white water the extra HP can be a life saver.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:37 PM

From my experience with outboard jets, you should go with the highest HP allowed without exceeding you're weight rating for the Transom. Running with more HP will allow you to throttle back while cruising as opposed to being WOT all the time while on step. If you want to load up the Passengers the largest Outboard Jet won't leave you wanting.

If you are trying to save some weight and $, look for an older 2 stroke Evinrude/Johnson, or Yamaha, mid 80's to early 90's. They will be lighter than the new 4 strokes and can be found for about $1000 to $3000 depending on condition, and are bulletproof if taken care of. Assuming your in the 90 to 150 hp range.
Then buy a new Jet Pump from an Outboard Jet dealer in you're area, easy to install yourself.
They'd run $2000 to $3000. So for $6000 max, you'd have a large HP Outboard Jet for half the price of buy-in a new one, lighter as well. May be a bit noisier though…
Old 03-11-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

X3

I bought a prodrive and a 16' jon from explorer two years ago, can't say enough good things about it. Its been super reliable and the fuel economy is awesome. Definitely had some pucker factor the first time i ran it on the nsr though.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:46 AM

Jet motor are turbo expensive Yamaha makes A good one and evenrude now has a dedicted jet motor I was looking for a replacement for Johnson 90hp jet and think it was 10000 and and that was for around 40 hp. Evenrude motor don’t have to derate them they measure the output at the pump were as a Yamaha is a 40/30.
If your boat isn’t a tunnel haul I probably wouldn’t put a jet out it in my opinion.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Go down and see the guys at Explorer then. They will answer all the questions you have and aren't going to push you to buy one of theirs if its not what you want. That being said, I think they will have something for you. They usually have some used ones around or know of used ones to. That and theyre in Edmonton, so service is just a short drive. I cant recommend them enough, great guys and great service.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Go down and see the guys at Explorer then. They will answer all the questions you have and aren't going to push you to buy one of theirs if its not what you want. That being said, I think they will have something for you. They usually have some used ones around or know of used ones to. That and theyre in Edmonton, so service is just a short drive. I cant recommend them enough, great guys and great service.
I think it would be worth my time for sure. Thanks
Old 03-12-2018, 07:58 AM

Determine if you are going tiller or centre console.
Centre console will make your boat perform better as the wieght is distributed correctly in the boat.
Better to get on step, probably better fuel economy, I would say better top end too.
Look at where the fuel and gear is layed out in your boat.
A tunnel imo won't give you better performance just allow you to run a bit shallower and not smash your foot on pump. If not designed correctly and motor not set right you will have cavitation for sure.
Get a set of good pump loaders on pump foot to get all you can out of jet.
If it's your duck hunting boat think about what you need inside. Maybe not a ton of seats and bells and whistles, more about cargo etc.
Go all weld on boat for the long haul. Evinrude is a nice motor( I run an etec)
Yammy is tried and true, I'm impressed with the jam of a merc but wieght is up there a bit.
Do your own research, look at weights, warranty, and cost between motors.
Get a good trailer, torsion axles are nice, ride well for sure, check your bearings every year especially if trailer hubs are in and out of water.