Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 10:39 PM

Default Any Members here on a Legion Executive ? Specifically “SERGEANT-AT-ARMS” ?

I’m recently retired, former Federal Public Servant worked as a civilian for a number of depts including PWC, RCMP & DND, decided to join the local Legion, been a member for less than 5 years.

I’ve been nominated for the position of SERGEANT-AT-ARMS, elections or appointments will be held on November 21st.

Like many Legions, our branch is struggling to recruit new members and finding good people who are willing to step forward and hold executive positions. In this case no one else wants the position and our current member is moving on.

With little experience, I’m doing some research on the roles & responsibilities for a SERGEANT-AT-ARMS and wondering if others here can offer any first had experience or recommendations before I let my name stand or decline.

Tks

David

Old 11-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Banned

Thank you for supporting the Royal Canadian Legion and for stepping up.

Although I have no experience as Sergeant At Arms, I am a member of a closed online group with a very strong interest in supporting the Legion. Numerous members are or have been Sergeant At Arms and I’m sure that someone would be happy to contact you. PM me your contact info and I will, with your approval, post your request on the group site.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up Sounds like a great position.

The Sergeant-at-Arms may be either appointed or elected by the members and is responsible for the following:
for the presentation of the Colours at all official functions and is charged with the care of the Colours as well as the conduct and appearance of the Colour Party;
ensures that only those qualified are permitted to attend meetings and that decorum is maintained;
when on duty, his position of office is at the entrance door of the hall or meeting room;
is in immediate attendance on the President or other presiding officer, and preserves order at the direction of the Chair;
at the ceremony of installation, conducts the newly-elected officers and committee members to a place in front of the Installing Officer and similarly conducts newly enrolled members at the ceremony of initiation;
the Sergeant-at-Arms is not a member of the Executive Committee unless so elected, or is already a member of the Executive Committee appointed to this office; and
if the Sergeant-at-Arms wishes to take part in debate, he must temporarily vacate the position, and may not resume duty until the subject under discussion is disposed of or resolved.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 PM

Tks fellas for the info.

Found a PDF of the Legions Rituals & Insigna Manual with lots of good info, was hoping a member/comrade here had some first hand experience. HunterDave, I'll send you my contact info.

Hope everyone gets a new fresh Poppy for Remembrance Day, the one's from last year wilt. The Legion, appreciates the donation and your support, take the time to read the poem below.

David

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you with failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Lt.-Col. John McCrae

http://www.legion.ca/uploads/2013/09...gnia2011_e.pdf

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-06-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:04 AM

As a member of the legion branch 220 in Inuvik for many years...I applaud and take my hat off to you for your new position you will be undertaking...the legions all over need more people just like you...Thank You
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Banned

David,
Your contact info has been forwarded to two individuals who have expressed interest in providing you with some insight and guidance. One fella is a little higher up the Chain of Command and the other is a Sergeant At Arms here in Alberta. The SAA is sending you an email right now.
Good luck, thank you for volunteering and enjoy your tenure as Sergeant At Arms.
Dave