Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 12:33 PM

Default Heating a 5'X7' dog house for winter.

I'm thinking of building a dog house for my dog. He has very thick fur but has become kind of a wimp with the cold weather (arthritis, knee problems)
He always gets too hot in the house then wants outside where it is too cold for him.

I want to make him a dog house that is warmer than outside but not as hot as the house. It will be lined with straw and insulated 2X4 walls and 2X6 floor insulated as well.

Has anyone had any luck with heating pads that they make for this?

The interior dimensions will have to be at least 5'X 7'.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:47 PM

You should make it so that there are 2 rooms: an entryway where he can lay in the sun if he wishes (like sitting on the porch) and another room (3/4 the whole footprint) where he can get in out of the wind and rain etc. It is not necessary but you can even have a fabric doorway between the two.

I just used an ordinary light bulb at the apex and the straw bedding on the floor. I did put a little window in so he could look out and I could look in to check on him.

I also made the roof so it could be opened on hinges. Made cleaning etc easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puppypalace2.jpg (13.6 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg puppypalace3.jpg (22.2 KB, 222 views)

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here

Last edited by TrollGRG; 11-05-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:59 PM

I just run a normal 100w lightbulb in those plastic igloo style houses for my two dogs. But they are nowhere near 5x7'. You could maybe run an actual heat lamp - but I would worry about anything flammable in contact or even near the heat source.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:17 PM

I too had 2 rooms.. She had to go in and make a hard right and that is where I had heavy large dog pillows and extra insulation especially in the floor. At the entrance to the house I had a mat/door to help keep the wind out and I also made sure the house was not facing into the no. wind. Worked great for many years for my Lab. 5X7 seems quite large and could be a bit of an issue to keep the dog warm. If you have a separate room and it is insulated walls and floor, the dog will be fine with straw and nice thick pillows
Old 11-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
You should make it so that there are 2 rooms: an entryway where he can lay in the sun if he wishes (like sitting on the porch) and another room (3/4 the whole footprint) where he can get in out of the wind and rain etc. It is not necessary but you can even have a fabric doorway between the two.

I just used an ordinary light bulb at the apex and the straw bedding on the floor. I did put a little window in so he could look out and I could look in to check on him.

That is AWESOME!
Old 11-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Banned

I went to bed last night with just the wife and I but I woke up this morning on the outer side of my king bed with my GWP and four year old son hogging it all. One licking my ear and the other asking to put cartoons on. It’s where the family gets together in the morning.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:43 PM

Total footprint of mine is 8’x8’. 4’x8’ house and the other 4’x8’ is covered porch open on three sides. Walls, floor and ceiling all insulated complete with vapour barrier. The whole thing is up on skids. Roof is shingled and hinges open for cleaning like shown above already. Porch roof is also shingled. I put a windbreak on the inside of the house so there is a 2’x4’ porch inside the house as well as the covered porch. Took a mud flap and cut it just smaller than access dimensions. Attached hinges to the flap to cut down wind going into the house through the door. Floor is finished with lynolium. I have a brooder style heat lamp inside the house with the reflector/shroud screwed into place so no chance of it falling etc. Finished the outside in tongue and groove pine and give it a coat of Linseed oil once a year. I’ve had as many as three Labs at one time and they all fit comfortably. I’ve crawled in there when it’s -40C just to check and as sad as it is, my dogs have a warmer house than I do.

So in short, a heat lamp is more than adequate to heat the space you’re talking should you choose to go that route.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post

That's an amazing dog house! Well done.

BW
Old 11-05-2017, 05:14 PM

If you are able... make the dog house out of small rectangle straw bales. A few for the floor, walls and roof and your dog will be fine.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-05-2017, 05:23 PM

Why so big??
Seems HUGE for a dog house.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:30 PM

Smile Some good ideas here.

Troll has an executive style one and you can go down to and old car up on blocks on the front lawn if your decor is more hillbilly.

The fact is, if a dog can get out of the wind he won't be too cold, his body temp is 101 F and he produces 7 xs the heat per pound of body weight that we do.

So suit yourself, I'd ask your wife before I went with the junker up on blocks.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:57 PM

I was under the understanding that you should make a dog house as small as possible, and that way the dog puts enough heat in there himself.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Troll has an executive style one and you can go down to and old car up on blocks on the front lawn if your decor is more hillbilly.

The fact is, if a dog can get out of the wind he won't be too cold, his body temp is 101 F and he produces 7 xs the heat per pound of body weight that we do.

So suit yourself, I'd ask your wife before I went with the junker up on blocks.
The executive style must be for those occasions when sleeping on the couch is deemed a lax punishment and one must cohabitate with pooch to comply with the wishes of the judge, jury and executioner.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I just run a normal 100w lightbulb in those plastic igloo style houses for my two dogs. But they are nowhere near 5x7'. You could maybe run an actual heat lamp - but I would worry about anything flammable in contact or even near the heat source.
Many years ago was working in a residential area when a lady runs over frantically yelling "fire". A lot of smoke was coming from the back of the house accross the street so we grabbed our extingingshers. Her neighbors deck was fully engulfed in flames and they weren't home. Looked over the fence and here is a rottweiler in there ready to attack so we emptied three 20 lb dry chem extinguishers on it from there. Fire dept arrived a few mins later. Long story short, talked with the homwowner the next day and it all started from a light bulb in the doghouse.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Why so big??
Seems HUGE for a dog house.
He wont go into small spaces and likes to stretch out when he sleeps.
His bed is just over 4'X4' but its too small when he lays down.

jethro.jpg
Old 11-05-2017, 08:02 PM
Banned

is that dog's name 'sully'? if so holler over the fence and i'll help you build one.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Banned

Default Dog House Heater

https://cozywinters.com/shop/hound-heater.html
Old 11-06-2017, 11:58 AM

house in area burnt to ground couple years ago they had a heater for their dog on porch enclosure. Dog knocked it over they were lucky to get out. Id be really leery about adding any heat source to a dog house. I have two bearded collies they can sure curl up tight on their beds so Id go smaller rather than larger. An insulated wind resistant smaller dog house should be fine with a thick pillow to lay on. Inuit used to pull their sled dogs inside the igloo on cold nights to have dogs heat up inside.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:18 PM

My dog house is similar to Troll's. For heat, i have a pressure activated heating pad in the '2nd room' (as well as insulated walls).

With that said, she spends about 99% of the time on top of the dog house laying in the snow. (she's a husky/malamute).

But there just in case.

Cheers
Old 11-06-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
He wont go into small spaces and likes to stretch out when he sleeps.
His bed is just over 4'X4' but its too small when he lays down.

Attachment 139424
Looks like you got it a bit mixed up, you don't need a dog house , looks more like you should be thinking horse stable :-)
Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 PM

A faulty or damaged heat pad in a dog house caused a fire that burned down the house of some people I knew also.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
A faulty or damaged heat pad in a dog house caused a fire that burned down the house of some people I knew also.
A faulty or damaged anything can cause something to happen

Be smart, be responsible!

Cheers