Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-06-2017, 06:48 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
After going out for my first winter drive yesterday, I noticed a bit of sliding at stops, but didn't get too worried. Then I looked at my tracks in the snow and there hardly were any, so I did the toonie tread test, and the tread comes up to about 2/3 of the word DOLLAR, which I understand is more than 50% gone and I only have 36.4K since putting them on in July/16. So, kinda not happy about that!
That isn't premature wear really. All weather tires of this nature do wear faster than a regular all season tire. I find most of my clients report back in the 50k to 60k range on the high end, and even less for more spirited drivers.

Everybody wants a magjc bullet but there really isn't one. You will spend the same amount kf money replacing these twice as often as you would having a good long lasting all season (read that as 3 season) tire and having a focused set of dedicated winters.

I recommend to most of my customers to either commit to running two sets and maximize abilities around the entire calender or commit to all seasons and live with a reduction in winter traction. An all weather (speaking of true compounded all weathers) for most drivers is a compromise in all areas for a tire that wears out too fast for no real savings.

That said, for a person who does not drive really a lot and just wants a better winter all season to get to work and back etc, then I see some value, but at 50k to 60k of mileage guys like me would be putting a new set on yearly where with two sets of tires I will expect 3 years on all seasons and maybe 2 years on winters. The net mileage per set average is greater with the two sets and equals better abilities and dollars saved long term.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:10 PM

Thanks for that, tirebob.... It seemed like a good idea at the time. So, I bought a tread gauge and will start looking for some used winters in good shape.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!