Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2015, 03:45 PM

Default Looking for a Prime Rib Recipe

The wife won this today, its huge lol. I was thinking of maybe smoking it. I have never dealt with a Prime rib especially of this size. Anyone have any suggestions

Old 12-13-2015, 03:46 PM

Pm omega
Old 12-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Banned

Last prime rib we did was smoked then finished to temp in the oven. Oh my.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:52 PM

WOW...that thing is huge. Most would have to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford that, especially with today's beef prices. Good on you.

Enjoy,
L.S.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:03 PM

Yummy. Omega will have some ideas for sure. There are some pretty good recipes online too.

Looks like you have an 8 bone piece. You might want to cut it into two 4 bone pieces. Then try two recipes for variety.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-13-2015, 04:06 PM

Supper time is at???

Dodger
Old 12-13-2015, 04:07 PM

I'd cut that into 3-4 family meals - you can get rib steaks for the grill or a prime rib roast.

I'd suggest a nice slow roast .... My mom's roast is the best in the world. I wouldn't lie to you, it's amazing.

Season 24 hours in advance - Montreal Steak Spice, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and rub it in with the spice mix and some minced fresh garlic.

You can take a few sprigs of rosemary and, on a cutting board, hit them with the back of your knife to crush the sprigs. You can then add this as well. Go easy on the rosemary.

Pierce the cap and make some shallow slits.

1.5 hour prior to putting it into the oven - let the roast come to room temperature. It will produce a juicier roast and better caramelization of the cap. This step shouldn't be skipped.

Preheat oven to 450.

In a roasting pan, with a rack, place the roast cap side up. Add some water to the roasting just below the rack. Add carrots, celery, onions and any other veg you might have kicking around the fridge - this will make you the gravy.

Roast at 450 for 25-30 minutes until the roast is seared on the outside.

Turn oven down to 325 and finish roasting until your desired doneness is achieved.

Baste the roast a few times it makes the cap and outside nice and juicy. Do not baste the last hour or so.

Periodically add a little water if the pan becomes dry.

Let the roast rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing.

You can make gravy by straining the liquid into a sauce pan and adding some cornstarch or flour while whisking under low/medium heat.

I don't cook very much, but even I can tackle this - give it a try.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:08 PM

I've had real good luck with this.

http://allrecipes.com/video/479/perfect-prime-rib/

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Gone Hunting

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/h...as-dinner.html

This is an excellent site and there is a reference for more detailed information if you are interested.

You'll notice that the browning is at the end not the beginning and an explanation why?

I
Old 12-13-2015, 04:44 PM

I would cut into smaller pieces and then there is some awesome Dutch oven recipes on you tube if you have an Dutch oven I really like the the ones were you put your own rub/marinade on then you totally cooked it in salt ( totally sum urged in rock salt ) and if done right it's not that salty I know it's hard to believe but it's not salty.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:25 PM

Rub it with butter, roll it in kosher salt, into the oven at 450-500 for 20 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to 350 and cook to your desired temp.

I think that might be Omega's method, I can't remember for sure, who ever it's from THANK YOU!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-13-2015, 05:45 PM

once it is cut into portions to be cooked. how do I freeze it so the meat does not get affected like from freezerburn etc? I do not have a vac sealer
Old 12-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Wrap it as tight as possible in Saran type film, several layers, and put it in a freezer bag, remove as much air as possible.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-13-2015, 06:43 PM

Made this one a few times. It's sooooo good

INGREDIENTS
Rib Roast
1 3 ribs prime rib beef roast, about 6 pounds

3 Tbsp Dijon mustard (45 ml)

1 cup dried mushroom, finely ground (250 ml)

15 sprig fresh thyme

15 sprig fresh rosemary

3 shallots, halved

1 heads garlic, halved

3 Tbsp olive oil (45 ml)

2 cup veal stock (500 ml)

Salt and pepper

Sauce
3 Tbsp olive oil (45 ml)

1 shallot, finely chopped

1 cup of mixed mushrooms (oyster, ****ake), roughly chopped (250 ml)

2 cup of veal stock (500 ml)

2 Tbsp butter, cubed (30 ml)

1 Tbsp of the mushroom rub (15 ml)

Salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS
Rib Roast
1. Preheat the oven to 500 F (260 C).

2. Season the roast with salt and pepper. Coat with Dijon mustard, then the ground-up mushrooms to make a crust over the meat. Set aside about 1 tablespoon of the mushroom powder for the sauce.

3. In a heavy oven- proof pan, lay the roast, bone side down, on a bed of rosemary, thyme, shallots and garlic. Drizzle with olive oil. Add the veal stock to the pan.

4. Put the pan in the oven and cook the beef for 15 minutes.

5. Reduce the heat to 325 F (160 C) and cook for a total of 2 hours for medium-rare (or approximately 20 minutes per pound). Check the internal temperature of the roast in several places with an instant-read thermometer; it should register 125 F for medium-rare. Remove the beef and place on a carving board. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes. The internal temperature of the meat will continue to rise by about 10 degrees. Remove the vegetables and keep warm.

Sauce
1. Heat oil on medium heat and sauté shallots for about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Strain the juices from the rib roast pan into the shallot mushroom mixture then add the veal stock and let thicken for another 5 minutes. Whisk the butter in the sauce. Add the reserved powdered mushrooms from the rub. Season with salt and pepper.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Banned

I see 10 steaks in that cryovac.

I'd be cutting that bad boy into steaks!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I'd cut that into 3-4 family meals - you can get rib steaks for the grill or a prime rib roast.

I'd suggest a nice slow roast .... My mom's roast is the best in the world. I wouldn't lie to you, it's amazing.

Season 24 hours in advance - Montreal Steak Spice, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder and rub it in with the spice mix and some minced fresh garlic.

You can take a few sprigs of rosemary and, on a cutting board, hit them with the back of your knife to crush the sprigs. You can then add this as well. Go easy on the rosemary.

Pierce the cap and make some shallow slits.

1.5 hour prior to putting it into the oven - let the roast come to room temperature. It will produce a juicier roast and better caramelization of the cap. This step shouldn't be skipped.

Preheat oven to 450.

In a roasting pan, with a rack, place the roast cap side up. Add some water to the roasting just below the rack. Add carrots, celery, onions and any other veg you might have kicking around the fridge - this will make you the gravy.

Roast at 450 for 25-30 minutes until the roast is seared on the outside.

Turn oven down to 325 and finish roasting until your desired doneness is achieved.

Baste the roast a few times it makes the cap and outside nice and juicy. Do not baste the last hour or so.

Periodically add a little water if the pan becomes dry.

Let the roast rest for at least 30 minutes before slicing.

You can make gravy by straining the liquid into a sauce pan and adding some cornstarch or flour while whisking under low/medium heat.

I don't cook very much, but even I can tackle this - give it a try.
Funny that this post came up. I just finished doing a 8 bone rack and another 4 bone for the guys tonight at the fire hall. We invited the Chiefs and the families and had 26 people eating as this is our 'family Christmas dinner' that we do every year...and we still have enough beef leftover for Philly cheese steaks for tomorrow night's dinner. We had the full spread: Yorkshire pudding and gravy, orange-balsamic glazed carrots, Caesar salad with home made vampire-killing garlic dressing, and bacon smashed potatoes. Then Apple pie and cake. I am hurting right now.

I would not be cutting that into steaks as a nice Prime Rib Roast is something to savour all by itself. However, if it is only you and the missus eating, cutting the roast into two or even three chunks may not be a bad idea, just be sure to adjust cooking times accordingly.

The technique EZM has posted is pretty much what I do except a slight change. I make a wet rub by taking a bottle of good quality whole grain mustard and adding the finely chopped fresh rosemary and garlic to that. I season the roast first with fresh cracked pepper and sea salt, a light dust of granulated garlic (as you are also adding fresh too), and some onion powder. It gets seared on a really hot cast iron pan or a flat top grill...then the slits and finally the wet rub all over. The crust this makes is heaven on a plate.

I make a rack out of carrots in the roasting pan and lay it on top of that. The mustard adds an excellent hint to the drippings which then goes into your gravy. It is so good, your mouth will slap you!

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015

Last edited by Jack&7; 12-13-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:48 PM

Start with a room temperature prime rib roast.
I keep my rub simple - lots of fresh ground pepper, fresh chopped rosemary and thyme, a bit of dry mustard and a sprinkle of Montreal Steak Spice. 475 for 15 minutes, then drop to 320 and watch the meat thermometer like a hawk. When it hits 135, out it comes to rest loosely covered in foil for a half hour before carving. It'll bleed enough to concern the "We like it well done" crowd, but just ignore them and pour the blood into the gravy fix'ns. That's when the oven temp gets cranked back up to 450, and the yorkies go in for about 20 minutes. While they're rising, it's gravy making time.
My wife deals with the green stuff.

T'aint a prime rib roast without the yorkies !
Equal parts milk, flour and eggs. I figure on 1 egg per person, put the eggs all in a tumbler and mark off the volume with a Sharpie. Drop into a mixing bowl. Fill to the exact same height with milk and then with flour. Add a pinch of salt, beat until smooth, and you're done. (Except for getting that Sharpie mark off the glass.)
For a perfect Yorkshire pudding, get your ingredients to room temperature first, and make it in the morning. Cover the bowl with a tea-towel and let it sit all day. Just before popping it in the oven, add a tablespoon of ice-water and give it a quick stir. Then into a piping hot muffin tin with a smatter of roast fat in each cup, and quickly - into the 450 oven.