Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2015, 07:52 AM

Default Stream Closers

Seeing rumours about stream closers in Northern and Southern Alberta. If it true, where is the information posted, so I don't fish illegally. Has anyone heard anything?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:13 AM

Watch or listen the news likely today
Old 08-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Should be on the media soon and affects many southern AB water courses.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Get out, that's crazy. I heard it's bad but not that bad. I was going to the Ram for mid September. May need to change that.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:15 AM

Alberta Flyfishing has a post on this on Facebook. Looks like this is happening. Apparently they got this form Alberta Outdoorsmen on Twitter.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 AM

and it's under fishing discussion forum on main page.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 AM

It's also posted on the fishing regs website now: http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
Old 08-11-2015, 10:30 AM

Posted in the fishing section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
This comes from Fish & Wildlife Head Office:

NOTICE:

Effective August 11, 2015 the following waters have been closed to all fishing; due to high water temperatures, until further notice:

1. Belly River and tributaries downstream of Secondary Road 800,
2. Bow River and tributaries from Bearspaw Dam to Bassano Dam,
3. Elbow River and tributaries below Glenmore Reservoir,
4. Gorge Creek and tributaries,
5. Highwood River and tributaries,
6. Sheep River and tributaries,
7. St. Mary River and tributaries below St. Mary Reservoir,
8. Threepoint Creek and tributaries.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Default Its Official ! Damn

http://alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=38...7D842C472EB896

FFG

“Do unto those downstream as you would have those upstream do unto you.”
― Wendell Berry
Old 08-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Banned

They should also close the Livingston and Oldman. Both rivers are warmer than normal and their fish are stressed.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:32 PM

I find it weird that cold rivers like highwood and sheep would be closed but not streams like dogpound, fallen timber etc.
Downstream of Turner Valley and Longview I can see, but upstream? Anybody have recent water temps from there?
Old 08-11-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsougri View Post
They should also close the Livingston and Oldman. Both rivers are warmer than normal and their fish are stressed.
Closing some but not others is a huge mistake. Much of the fishing traffic will move from HW-Bow-Elbow over to Oldman-Crow-Livi. Those fish are going to get hammered for the next week or two.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:35 PM

Waterton is very warm as well...
Old 08-11-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
I find it weird that cold rivers like highwood and sheep would be closed but not streams like dogpound, fallen timber etc.
Downstream of Turner Valley and Longview I can see, but upstream? Anybody have recent water temps from there?
x2, those central alberta brownie streams are in a lot worse condition than the streams they've closed
Old 08-11-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
x2, those central alberta brownie streams are in a lot worse condition than the streams they've closed
Just seems kind of random. Lower elbow? Sure. But above Bragg creek the elbow, upper highwood, sheep are very similar in temps. Unless the numbers prove me wrong.
Jumpingpoud?
Willow?
Can't tell me those aren't smoking hot either
Old 08-11-2015, 04:15 PM

Slight derail, does anybody know what kind of temps the streams in Wyoming, Utah etc run? Do they close them frequently?
Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM

Lots of streams/rivers getting pretty hot. I blame the NDP (somebody had to say it).
I had the dog down for a run at McKinnon (he ran -- I just simmered in my own juices and took pictures of butterflies) this afternoon, and the Bow was just on the cool side of bath temp. I think these closures need to be put in place...and enforced.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-11-2015, 04:44 PM

Willow is a trickle and really warm.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:57 PM

I think this is great but as mentioned other streams will get hammered with anglers. I was going to venture out again this weekend for some of my smaller mountain favourites but I am not sure I will now. I do carry my water thermometer and it is surprising that there are not more waters closed.

But who will enforce these closures? Every CO I talk to says they are under staffed. Sure the responsible and ethical people will keep their lines dry for another day but it's not those people who are the issue.

Also saw this list on Global which appears to be the same as the fish regs site which is what I would be going by anyhow.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:54 AM

I would think that these are waters with heavy pressure, therefore the are closing them. Second of all, the species at risk are mainly rainbows and cutthroats, they can't tolerate heat as much as browns or brookies do. But it would be beneficial to close all streams that are affected by the extreme heat
Old 08-13-2015, 11:17 PM

Although closures in theory are great, and should have happened weeks ago, not including tribs and central streams is just plain stupid. ASRD should be ashamed of themselves! Here's a great idea, let's increase pressure on vulnerable streams by closing larger rivers...retarded. Close them all!

I hope fishermen and women use their heads and give the trout a break until September or until things cool down drastically.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:06 PM

More closures added today !!
http://alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=38...C472E717711D5B
Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post

I hope fishermen and women use their heads and give the trout a break until September or until things cool down drastically.
Yup. Good to see more closures added though...
Old 08-14-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipercub17 View Post
Great to see this, hopefully it will be the trout a break especially the foothill streams. Are they going to close Jumpingpound's tributaries, and the upper Bow and Elbow rivers? The heat's going to boil up these others streams and the fishing pressure on the upper Bow will go up
Old 08-16-2015, 10:21 PM

Went camping over the last four days. Livingston and Oldman were nearing 20 degrees C on Friday and we chose not to fish. It didn't appear to stop close to the 30-40 vehicles with anglers I saw parked along the rivers. The rains cooled down a bunch of the waters Friday night to the point where water temps were 14 and below on Saturday and Sunday. Wow is the water levels down though. We fish a bunch down there and there are holes I like to fish that I had to walk by twice to believe it was the same hole.

I have also seen more damaged fish this year more than any other year. Full gill plates ripped off, large hemotomas on and around the mouths possibly from mishandling or barbed hooks. Lots of fish caught with hooks too! Hey I know I have had a fish break off a size 20 hook on 5x before but none of the hooks I have removed from fish have had the barbs punched. We are our own worst enemies.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendofacatahoula View Post
Went camping over the last four days. Livingston and Oldman were nearing 20 degrees C on Friday and we chose not to fish. It didn't appear to stop close to the 30-40 vehicles with anglers I saw parked along the rivers. The rains cooled down a bunch of the waters Friday night to the point where water temps were 14 and below on Saturday and Sunday. Wow is the water levels down though. We fish a bunch down there and there are holes I like to fish that I had to walk by twice to believe it was the same hole.

I have also seen more damaged fish this year more than any other year. Full gill plates ripped off, large hemotomas on and around the mouths possibly from mishandling or barbed hooks. Lots of fish caught with hooks too! Hey I know I have had a fish break off a size 20 hook on 5x before but none of the hooks I have removed from fish have had the barbs punched. We are our own worst enemies.
Sad... Some people just don't think beyond the immediate gratification, no thought on consequences, the next person or the next generation(s).
Old 08-16-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
Sad... Some people just don't think beyond the immediate gratification, no thought on consequences, the next person or the next generation(s).

I am sure many people practiced good handling and I can't be sure of how many other people chose not to fish either. I believe most people would consider the water temps but those waters certainly see their fare share of pressure when the sun is shinning!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:36 AM

I fished the upper Elbow above Bragg Creek this weekend, and temperature is definitely not a concern. It started at 8 deg C (9:30 am) and maxed out at 10 deg C (3 pm).
(The broken bottles/glass and garbage are more of an issue.)

P.S. We are to a certain extent "self regulating". There are not enough officials to enforce the rules, so it is up to us to educate our fishing friends. If we do not do it, the "Powers" will do it for us, using the standard shotgun method - and everybody pays the price. My philospophy is simple - if you blatantly transgress, I'll politely correct/educate you. If you ignore it, a photo with the relevant details to AESRD does wonders. More often than not though, it is just ignorance.
There were still some people fishing the Bow at Hwy 22 on Thursday - despite all the media info.
So it is up to us. (And I'll hop from my soap box now )