Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 03:22 PM

Default Women's Fly Fishing Clubs

I was briefly a member of the Reel Hookers Club before the club was terminated. Does anyone know of any other women's fly fishing clubs that have sprung up in the five+ years since the Reel Hookers Club went defunct? I'm turning nothing up on Google.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:09 PM

Hey Shelley,

The Reel Hookers Club morphed into the Calgary Women Fly Fishers. Should be easy enough to find online. If not, contact Lesley Peterson of Trout Unlimited. She is one of the chairs.

Cheers!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:09 PM

http://calgarywomenflyfishers.com/

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 08-06-2015, 06:25 PM

Omg. I love you both! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:39 PM

I've now fired off an email to the membership coordinator and I'm just waiting to hear back.

I have no idea how I couldn't find the club. I swear that I'd searched myself!

Their inaugural meeting was at the end of 2011, which is around 18 months after the Reel Hookers folded. I joined the Reel Hookers just a few months before they folded, and I hadn't met many of the women by that point in time. I only really knew Anita, so I wasn't on anyone's radar to be notified of the new club.

It is disappointing that I've missed four years of its existence, but I'll get that fixed now.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:49 AM

Ladies are always welcome at the Hook & Hackle club in Calgary.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Ladies are always welcome at the Hook & Hackle club in Calgary.
I checked out the Hook & Hackle Club on your recommendation in 2010. I went a couple of times, but it just wasn't for me. I found it a bit overwhelming. I don't do well in social situations where there are a lot of people, and I don't know any of them (thank god I no longer have to go to Stampede parties for work!).

Maybe if there is some crossover between the clubs I'll have someone I know to go to Hook & Hackle meetings with.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I checked out the Hook & Hackle Club on your recommendation in 2010. I went a couple of times, but it just wasn't for me. I found it a bit overwhelming. I don't do well in social situations where there are a lot of people, and I don't know any of them (thank god I no longer have to go to Stampede parties for work!).

Maybe if there is some crossover between the clubs I'll have someone I know to go to Hook & Hackle meetings with.
I haven't joined the women's club yet but I keep meaning too! I'm kinda an introvert too and don't like lots of people. We should be friends!