Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2015, 09:37 AM

Default Mulling over simplifying 5wt Setup

I have a Pieroway 8.5' 5wt with a Fenwick DCC56 reel and three cartridges. I have one cartridge loaded with floating line, one loaded with sinking line, and one that I've never loaded with anything.

I have never used the sinking line. This is my dry fly rod, but I have nymphed with it and used wet flies with it. I've always felt that my leader got the flies down deep enough.

This was my first setup (it is now one of six setups), so I thought there would be value in being able to swap out cartridges. Now I feel the extra spools are just taking up too much room in my reel case.

I'm thinking I'd like to replace the reel with a machined aluminum reel and just run WF5F on it.

Is there something I'm overlooking that makes this a poor idea?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:53 AM

Shelly

In my opinion, a 5 wt might be too light for a multi line system. I have (for both my wife and my 6 wt set ups), as you described with an added intermediate sinking line. My go to for lakes! Works REALLY REALLY well!!Also have the same set up for our pike/bully 8 wts.

Peter

-Confucius
Old 08-09-2015, 10:35 AM

How much line and backing would you recommend for lakes, Peter?

I always chuck hardware on lakes, as my six-year-old is a very adept spin fisher, but he can't handle a fly rod yet. I'm sure fly fishing lakes is in our future.

The reel is a 5/6, but the cartridges look to be on the small side (all my other reels are large arbour, so looks might be deceiving). I'm not sure if I can get enough 6wt line and backing on them. I can't find the specs for the cartridges online. If I have an idea how much line and backing I should have, I can see if I can fit it all on.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:40 AM

I rarely use my full sinking line on moving water. For lakes and the ocean full sink lines are where it's at if you're fishing deep OR... If you ever choose to fish floating dragonfly patterns or boobies on a full sink line with a 2-3' leader, this technique is really fun on stocked trout lakes. Since someone showed me it, I've done it several times now.. the takes you get are so strong it has almost ripped the rod from my hands a couple times. I highly recommend it.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:32 PM

150 - 200 but there should be a amount recod for that reel/cartridges . If you are worried you can always go with gel, yes over kill but less volume. I've only consistently gone into my backing fishing salt and big browns on the bow. So I personally wouldn't worry about it. 100 yards should be fine .

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
How much line and backing would you recommend for lakes, Peter?

I always chuck hardware on lakes, as my six-year-old is a very adept spin fisher, but he can't handle a fly rod yet. I'm sure fly fishing lakes is in our future.

The reel is a 5/6, but the cartridges look to be on the small side (all my other reels are large arbour, so looks might be deceiving). I'm not sure if I can get enough 6wt line and backing on them. I can't find the specs for the cartridges online. If I have an idea how much line and backing I should have, I can see if I can fit it all on.

-Confucius
Old 08-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Banned

I don't see anything wrong with the setup you have,a floating line for dries and most stream applications,the full sink for lakes,and maybe add a sink-tip to the arsenal on that spare spool for certain lake applications and streamer fishing skinny water?Personally,I simply add sink-tips to my floating line as required.
I wouldn't be overly concerned wutsoever with backing capacity,were talking trout for chrissakes,100yards of backing is more than enuf,even 50yards is likely as much or more then you'll ever need for 99.99% of trout....20lb gel spun to max the yardage if your that concerned?
Assuming most lake fishing will be done from a boat,pontoon,or tube......you could always chase after a MONSTER trout that's trying to spool you.
If you hook a spool burning trout trout from shore fishing,put the brakes on and the wood to him,and if you still get spooled,consider yourself extremely lucky for even hooking such a mythical beast,haha.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Banned

Yer a fast typer Peter,haha......and speaking of sink-tips.....must get together one of these days.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Banned

Also....being as you have 5 or 6 other rods,no harm in spooling the spare cartridge with a 4 or 6 wt line,maybe even a 3 or 7?
Old 08-09-2015, 02:35 PM

Thank you, gentlemen.

I've tossed my 5wt floating line on what was my 6wt reel, and my 6wt floating line on the Fenwick. The Fenwick holds a lot more line than I realized it did: more than the reel I originally had the 6wt line on.

After playing with the 5wt sinking line for a bit, I discovered it is so badly coiled that I can't even really cast it and it tangles while stripping. I didn't put the sticker indicating the line type on the cassette (or it fell off) so I have no idea what brand it is. I'm going to assume it is something I picked up cheap from the bargain fly line bin at the Fishin' Hole and toss it.

My 3/4 weight has WF4F Rio Windcutter line on it. I've only ever use it for dries.

My 5wt has Rio Mainstream WF5F. I like this rod best for dries on the Bow.

My 6wt has whatever bulk 6wt floating line Wayne Hanson put on it. I've no idea what it is, but it works well for me and is standing up really well. If I could only take one rod with me somewhere, this is the one I'd probably take. Despite the fact that it isn't my favourite.

My 6wt switch has Tactical Shooting Heads 420 grain Floating Scandi Compact (ST6/7F).

My 9wt spey has an Airflow Floating Skagit North West Shooting Head (ST9/10F/S). This rod is just too big a beast.

I also have a Tenkara rod for dries.

I think that to pick up a new sinking line and a sink tip line for the 6wt is probably the way to go. My arsenal is weak on the heavy end (I should replace with 9wt spey with something more practical), but I think Peter is right in that the 6wt is the one I'm going to want to play with other lines with.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:48 PM
Banned

Really no need IMHO to dedicate a spool to a factory integrated sink tip,I've always just used customized tips on my floating lines,anything from 3' for small flows,to 20' for trolling streamers on lakes.A set of 3,6,9,12,20' tips will cover almost any conditions imaginable for 1/2 the co$t of a new line,and you can use the with whatever outfit you happen to be holding on any given day.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Really no need IMHO to dedicate a spool to a factory integrated sink tip,I've always just used customized tips on my floating lines,anything from 3' for small flows,to 20' for trolling streamers on lakes.A set of 3,6,9,12,20' tips will cover almost any conditions imaginable for 1/2 the co$t of a new line,and you can use the with whatever outfit you happen to be holding on any given day.
sound advice I believe.Been doing this for years.My tips only go to 15' since I almost never fish lakes.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm going to have to mull this over a bit. I've gotten myself all confused about what I want to do, again.

Maybe I'll just start by selling the spey rod(s). We have two at home that don't get used.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:59 PM

[QUOTEthe

My 6wt switch has Tactical Shooting Heads 420 grain Floating Scandi Compact (ST6/[/QUOTE]

420 grain your over loading that rod put on a sink tip
And broken rod
Scandy line fit a 6 weight switch should be
300-350 grains
My 8 weight 12'4 Spey uses a 450 grain scandy

U can never just have one rod
I have 5 rods for lake fishing
2 rods for river and creek for trout
A switch rod. A Spey rod and a 10' 8 weight single
Hand rod loaded with 300 grain scandy line and back
Up a tiny 300 line

I maybe over kill for what u r trying to do
U need at least 2 rods
Old 08-14-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
the 420 grain your over loading that rod put on a sink tip
And broken rod
Scandy line fit a 6 weight switch should be
300-350 grains
My 8 weight 12'4 Spey uses a 450 grain scandy

U can never just have one rod
I have 5 rods for lake fishing
2 rods for river and creek for trout
A switch rod. A Spey rod and a 10' 8 weight single
Hand rod loaded with 300 grain scandy line and back
Up a tiny 300 line

I maybe over kill for what u r trying to do
U need at least 2 rods
Thanks, Fishman.

The 11 1/2' 6wt switch (Pieroway E1166) is loaded with the exact line that Geoff Pieroway recommended. Both Maxwell Robinson and Greg Allard have cast the rod setup the way it is and neither have found it objectionable. If I remember correctly, Colin Done has cast it as well and made no objections.

Based on your recommendation, I'll touch base with Geoff again: to see if his recommendation has changed in the five years since I purchased the rod, and if he has had any failures with the E1166 when running the 420 Scandi.

It is my favourite rod, though I haven't really used it in a couple of years (my spey cast has gone down the toilet and I really need a tuneup).

Old 08-14-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
Thanks, Fishman.

The 11 1/2' 6wt switch (Pieroway E1166) is loaded with the exact line that Geoff Pieroway recommended. Both Maxwell Robinson and Greg Allard have cast the rod setup the way it is and neither have found it objectionable. If I remember correctly, Colin Done has cast it as well and made no objections.

Based on your recommendation, I'll touch base with Geoff again: to see if his recommendation has changed in the five years since I purchased the rod, and if he has had any failures with the E1166 when running the 420 Scandi.

It is my favourite rod, though I haven't really used it in a couple of years (my spey cast has gone down the toilet and I really need a tuneup).
I have a sheet at home with all the manufactures switch rods, Spey rods. With rod weight and recommend line in grains
I will have to look again but don't remember that light of a
Switch rod with that a heavy of a line
Like I said my 12'4 8 weight spey I use 475 grains skadgit
I think u would have to be careful with a sink tip on u would
Over load the rod
I'm not a expert just seems. Like a heavy line
Old 08-14-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
I have a sheet at home with all the manufactures switch rods, Spey rods. With rod weight and recommend line in grains
I will have to look again but don't remember that light of a
Switch rod with that a heavy of a line
Like I said my 12'4 8 weight spey I use 475 grains skadgit
I think u would have to be careful with a sink tip on u would
Over load the rod
I'm not a expert just seems. Like a heavy line
No worries. Since there may be an issue with the original recommendation it is best to be sure. I've fired off an email to Geoff to see if he has a revised recommendation for me. Better safe than sorry!