Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2014, 04:03 PM

Default oak island

Is any one else watching this show on the history channel? I can't get enough, they got me hooked. I hope they find something though I know they won't.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:08 PM

i'm hooked on oak island & the bering sea gold nuts
Old 02-23-2014, 05:26 PM

I watch the show. It's sooooo slooooow.

I think they're trying to get two seasons out of it. I say wrap it up in one.

If they're going to get to the bottom of it, they better bring in some actual miners.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:39 PM

I'll have to watch it, I have seen hour long specials and it's SUPER weird how that island is set up and non-revealing.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 PM

I've not seen this new one, but recall seeing a show featuring it in the late '70's or very early '80's called "In Search Of" narrated by Leonard Nimoy. The series covered all kind of mysteries and was a program I watched frequently.

Edit: Found the In Search of Episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ7PmnxCqdc

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-23-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:14 PM

Ive seen the show but i never realized the island was off the east coast of canada... Cool.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 AM

In lastnights episode the guys found an old Spanish coin. Could the production team have planted it there? Possible I guess.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 AM

The only thing this show is missing is the crazy hair guy from ancient aliens.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer31 View Post
In lastnights episode the guys found an old Spanish coin. Could the production team have planted it there? Possible I guess.
I found that to be way too convenient as well. That metal detector guy came on scene and basically tried inserting himself as the go to guy. Just figured he'd run the show. Then he finds the coin. Then he just so happens to come up with the exact name of the coin on the spot. It just felt greasy.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:00 PM

The metal detector guy is a Metal detector guy. I would guess the guy has found more than a few hundreds of different kinds of coins & has looked them up. Also - he said he sort of knew the name, but it was the Diver (who is also a treasure hunter/finder on the east coast) who knew the name of the coin. Again - someone who most likely has some knowledge of shipwrecks and their cargo/bounty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
I found that to be way too convenient as well. That metal detector guy came on scene and basically tried inserting himself as the go to guy. Just figured he'd run the show. Then he finds the coin. Then he just so happens to come up with the exact name of the coin on the spot. It just felt greasy.

Copper 8 Maravedis:

Old 02-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Obviously there is another way to get to the treasure, they wouldn't have made it impossible to recover?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911 View Post
The metal detector guy is a Metal detector guy. I would guess the guy has found more than a few hundreds of different kinds of coins & has looked them up. Also - he said he sort of knew the name, but it was the Diver (who is also a treasure hunter/finder on the east coast) who knew the name of the coin. Again - someone who most likely has some knowledge of shipwrecks and their cargo/bounty.
Uh, yeah, I kind of figured that. So when the metal detector guy started humming and hawing about "oh, gee.. you know, I think I've come across these before..." (not exact words) I thought to myself, yeah, I bet he has.

He definitely knew what it was and was playing it as if he wasn't quite sure. But he called it and said the name clearly, like he'd said it one hundred times before.

Hopefully the brother with the money doesn't blow a huge chunk out of his wallet for nothing.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:48 PM

I watch it and find it quite interesting. The thing I dont like is that it is super slow and seems to drag on episode after episode. I think this would be much better as a 3 or 4 hour two part series than a weekly show where nothing really happens.

As for the coin, if it was from the 1600's wouldnt it have settled into the swap a bit further than a few inches in the muck?

I also found it quite funny that the diver fell backwards into the swamp like he was doing an offshore dive and came to an almost immediate stop as soon as he hit the water and then they had him tied off even though he was never fully submerged.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 PM

I think the swamp woulg be considered a confined space
Old 03-02-2014, 06:18 PM

Went to check to see if this was on tonight and cant find it on the listings. Was it cancelled or something already?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:12 PM

Maybe because of the oscers. I forgot it was Sunday . My PVR didn't record it , I was terrified.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:52 PM

I believe its over for the season. I think it continues next season, at least that is what the wife told me.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I've not seen this new one, but recall seeing a show featuring it in the late '70's or very early '80's called "In Search Of" narrated by Leonard Nimoy. The series covered all kind of mysteries and was a program I watched frequently.

Edit: Found the In Search of Episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ7PmnxCqdc
Thank's !!!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:09 PM

Smile Do you know where the treasure came from?

Know one has admitted finding or digging up the treasure but do you know where it was supposed to have come from? This only an educated guess because no one knows for sure, or there ever was a treasure.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 PM

There are a few good books available about the history of Oak Island money pit.
There are a few things about the pit that are amazing that the TV show probably won't talk about.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Smile Treasure Island

As far as books go there are good one on what is thought to be Treasure Island made famous by Robert Louis Stevenson, it is on the west coast of Central America.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Banned

Dang. Missed the whole series. I did a report on Oak island when I was in high school or maybe jr high. ... (it's all blending together)