Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2014, 03:59 PM

Default puppy troubles

so i have a 5 month old yellow lab puppy. I've been having some trouble with him waking up in the middle of the night, i understand he's a puppy and may need to pee through the night. but after i let him out to pee i go to put him back in his kennel and normally he just goes back to sleep but lately when i put him back in he just starts yelping and whining to be let out again, so i let him out so i don't wake everyone in the house and he just goes to sleep at my feet!

does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong or something i can do to help him with his not wanting to sleep in the middle of the night?

i make sure he gets lots of exercise and keep him mentally stimulated with all the training drills i run through with him
Old 03-02-2014, 04:03 PM

My golden retriever wanted to go out in the middle of the night 3-5 times a week. I don't have any advice to give you. I just know that my dog grew out of it at about 8-9 months old.

I feel your pain. Its frustrating
Old 03-02-2014, 04:07 PM

Default like a child .....

Like a child don't like to be alone jet .... give him the support ......
Old 03-02-2014, 04:16 PM

I had the same thing with one of my labs ,I put his crate beside the bed .once he heard my wifes voice he would settle and go to sleep
Old 03-02-2014, 04:20 PM

sounds like he is training you, they are good at this lol

nip it in the butt now. take away water at 8pm and their should be no need to pee in middle of night. if you feel the need to put him out, don't talk to him or interact, simply back in the kennel. nothing wrong with putting a radio on at bed time. but if he cries in the kennel and you come every time............much like kids.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Smile Listen to Pixel

What you think is enough exercise, may not suffice for a growing hunting dog. The cold weather will rev him up but tire him quicker too. Does he get exercise off leash? If it is just walking, I don't think that will be enough. I'd add some marks to his days work he'll love it and the exercise will do you both good.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
sounds like he is training you, they are good at this lol

nip it in the butt now. take away water at 8pm and their should be no need to pee in middle of night. if you feel the need to put him out, don't talk to him or interact, simply back in the kennel. nothing wrong with putting a radio on at bed time. but if he cries in the kennel and you come every time............much like kids.
X3 .....an old saying 50 ways to leave a lover, 50 ways a dog will try to be the leader of the pack.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 03-02-2014, 04:49 PM

Hey thanks for all the response on this guys!

I do run him off leash at the southland dog park so he gets well socialized while he's still little. I try and get out everyday for about an hour or two but these past few days have been a no go due to the freezing weather! I'm makin sure he's almost always running after a ball to run him down and yet he still gets up!

I'm gunna try the radio beside his kennel tonight and take away his water early to see if this helps!
Old 03-02-2014, 06:06 PM

Default Abandonment issues

My now dog ,the same thing , he now (8yrs ) sleeps out in the living room
In his own chair . He is the smartest , self trained , bird dog I have owned .
But the most imprinted ,spoiled animal I have ever owned....
He will stop if you leave him alone . It may be the start of trouble
If you give in . Labs can be pretty stubborn and in a retriever this is
Not good . I'm to much of a softie when it comes to dog discipline
Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish*Frenzy* View Post
Hey thanks for all the response on this guys!

I do run him off leash at the southland dog park so he gets well socialized while he's still little. I try and get out everyday for about an hour or two but these past few days have been a no go due to the freezing weather! I'm makin sure he's almost always running after a ball to run him down and yet he still gets up!

I'm gunna try the radio beside his kennel tonight and take away his water early to see if this helps!
Don't go to his kennel and let him out. Every time you do that, he wins. Labs are notorious for training owners.
During the cold weather is a great time to train in the house. Simple retrieves the length of the basement are a good place to start. It may not be an hour run but it is better than nothing. Get some wrestling time in too. Anything to tire him out just a little bit more.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 PM

Thanks again guys starting tonight I'm gunna move his kennel down stairs

Here's a Pic of the little trouble maker!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 03-02-2014, 08:12 PM

We used to put an old fashion alarm clock in with our puppy's. Tick tock. And that would help settle them down

But if you have too many issues I can take home off you hands. He he
Old 03-02-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
We used to put an old fashion alarm clock in with our puppy's. Tick tock. And that would help settle them down

But if you have too many issues I can take home off you hands. He he
ive herd of this when you first get them because they think its the mommas heart beat and calms them down.. I'm not sure how well it would work now that he's been on his own for a few months!

and he's not that big of an issue haha he is a handful though but he is the most loyal dog i have ever seen! he is at my side all the time!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Banned

I have 2 dogs and Im no expert but I grew up with dogs. my puppy is also 5 months old right now. dogs don't like being alone and they will whine to get out of the kennel everytime you put them in. you can call it being scared or lonely im not sure.

what my dad taught me and i have done with my pups is for the first 2 weeks i put the kennel beside my bed. once the puppy starts whining I put my hand through the door and let him smell me or lick my fingers that usually settles him down. every couple of days i would move the kennel a bit farther and do the same. also for the first 2 weeks or so the dog spends most of his time in the crate. we put it in the living room and make sure he sees us at all time. by the end of the week the pup is very comfortable sleeping in his crate and you can let him out to roam as much as he likes.

DO NOT give in and let the pup out when he whines, just like a child he will learn to throw a tantrum to get what he wants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1620963_10152208315859614_2019485883_n.jpg (48.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icatchfish View Post
I have 2 dogs and Im no expert but I grew up with dogs. my puppy is also 5 months old right now. dogs don't like being alone and they will whine to get out of the kennel everytime you put them in. you can call it being scared or lonely im not sure.

what my dad taught me and i have done with my pups is for the first 2 weeks i put the kennel beside my bed. once the puppy starts whining I put my hand through the door and let him smell me or lick my fingers that usually settles him down. every couple of days i would move the kennel a bit farther and do the same. also for the first 2 weeks or so the dog spends most of his time in the crate. we put it in the living room and make sure he sees us at all time. by the end of the week the pup is very comfortable sleeping in his crate and you can let him out to roam as much as he likes.

DO NOT give in and let the pup out when he whines, just like a child he will learn to throw a tantrum to get what he wants.

thats what i did when i first brought him home when he was 8 weeks old and he was doing really good at going back to sleep it has just been this past month and a bit where he whines when he goes back into his kennel.. and its really starting to affect me with work and everything so something really needs to be fixed and I'm hoping that not letting him out and just letting him whine and see if it fixes the issue
Old 03-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Training, training, training and I see it's working. He got you well trained. Pixel nailed it. He will continue this training of you as he gets older as well

I would cover the crate with a blanket on a young dog. Give him a chew and ignore him. I have had to move a crate to the heated shop. I set the clock for 4 hours and we bond as we do our duty together.

It usually only takes a day or two, but I train mostly blacks a yellow may take longer

I'm kidding of course.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Smile I think he is bored

It is not too cold for him as you already know. This is a very good time to get going with some training, he'll like that. In the house get him steady, he is old enough now, and some dogs learn this fast. have him sit (outdoors) take a dummy and walk out away and throw the dummy, he has to wait until you return to his side, then send him for the mark. Once he has been there a time or two, put a pile of dummies where you are throwing the dummy, he'll see them when he picks up the mark. Don't let him pick through them either so spread them out a bit.

When he come back with the one you threw send him for another one. If the distance is not very far he will go. Once you both get the hang of sight blinds, back up to make them longer now you can exercise him like an old fat guy with a cane.

It teaches him lots of lessons he will need later.

BTW it is never too cold, oh and try to find a field where you can be by yourself.

Last edited by densa44; 03-02-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish*Frenzy* View Post
so i have a 5 month old yellow lab puppy. I've been having some trouble with him waking up in the middle of the night, i understand he's a puppy and may need to pee through the night. but after i let him out to pee i go to put him back in his kennel and normally he just goes back to sleep but lately when i put him back in he just starts yelping and whining to be let out again, so i let him out so i don't wake everyone in the house and he just goes to sleep at my feet!

does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong or something i can do to help him with his not wanting to sleep in the middle of the night?

i make sure he gets lots of exercise and keep him mentally stimulated with all the training drills i run through with him
Nothing to do with him going out to pee. He wants to sleep at your feet.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Throw a sweater that you've worn recently in the room, where he sleeps. I've done this with our pooch who experienced "separation anxiety" and he settled down right away.