Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Default Pine Beetles

Are they all frozen now?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:29 PM

sustained -30 weather. like a couple weeks thins them out. they have a natural antifreeze.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-01-2014, 09:48 PM

Extreme cold temperatures also can reduce MPB populations. For winter mortality to be a significant factor, a severe freeze is necessary while the insect is in its most vulnerable stage; i.e., in the fall before the larvae have metabolized glycerols, or in late spring when the insect is molting into the pupal stage. For freezing temperatures to affect a large number of larvae during the middle of winter, temperatures of at least 30 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit) must be sustained for at least five days.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
Extreme cold temperatures also can reduce MPB populations. For winter mortality to be a significant factor, a severe freeze is necessary while the insect is in its most vulnerable stage; i.e., in the fall before the larvae have metabolized glycerols, or in late spring when the insect is molting into the pupal stage. For freezing temperatures to affect a large number of larvae during the middle of winter, temperatures of at least 30 degrees below zero (Fahrenheit) must be sustained for at least five days.
I'll add that windchill doesn't count...

I'm in GP. It was -20C in town and +2C where control work was happening south of town.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Banned

BC interior forests are in BIG trouble
Old 03-02-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots270 View Post
BC interior forests are in BIG trouble
lol, they're dead already. have been for the last 10-20 year's. the big issue now is the fresh green growing on the duff and under the deadfall. huge fire potential, as illustrated by the 45k hectares that burnt around Binta lake in 2009 or 2010. there were attempts to burn beetle kill in the past in that district, but dead wood doesn't burn well without addition fuels. 10-15 year's of underbrush is enough fuel.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-02-2014, 07:48 AM

Better than sustained cold is warming to fast and drastic cooling some places in the province have been seeing this winter. I'd expect beetle numbers to drop in those areas.

That would go for all bark beetles, not just MPB.

Once the beetles start to come out of dormancy, it's much harder for that "antifreeze" to kick back in. So when that happens multiple times over the winter, it tends to really decrease populations.

I have a bunch of beetle traps going out in the next 30 days or so, I'll try to remember to post results once they come back. Not specific MPB traps mind you, but exotic bark beetle traps.

No, I'm NOT "trying out for Duck Dynasty"...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Better than sustained cold is warming to fast and drastic cooling some places in the province have been seeing this winter. I'd expect beetle numbers to drop in those areas.

That would go for all bark beetles, not just MPB.

Once the beetles start to come out of dormancy, it's much harder for that "antifreeze" to kick back in. So when that happens multiple times over the winter, it tends to really decrease populations.

I have a bunch of beetle traps going out in the next 30 days or so, I'll try to remember to post results once they come back. Not specific MPB traps mind you, but exotic bark beetle traps.
Please do post your findings. Would be neat to see.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:10 PM

Doubtful. As others have said too little too late. Most of you dont realize how infested we already are. The SRD project of fall and burning these trees is an absolute waste of money and will have zero affect.
Its already too late for any of Alberta. Also realize that a 97% winter mortality rate will simply keep their population static for a season.
Anyone that believes we have any hope at all of stopping MPB is wrong.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:26 PM

I thought they supposedly took quite a hit last winter already .

Grizz
Old 03-02-2014, 03:07 PM

The pine beetle numbers are so low here in the south that they have basically stopped control work due to a lack of trees to cut and burn. So it is possible to reduce their spread but it takes mother natures help to do so. So all those of you shivering in the north, pray for more to kill off the beetles.