Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 PM

Default casting discomfort!

Hello forum, does anybody ever experienced soreness on their thumb when casting? is this due from a poor form or technique? I am still new to this sport and learning as I go but any tip or advice will be great! thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 08:37 PM

I used to have the same problem. I fixed it by relaxing my grip. I also focused on using less of my thumb and more of my forearm.

Also, whenever I start to feel like I'm putting to much effort into my cast I put my rod down and take breather. When I start casting again I mumble to myself "let the rod do the work, let the rod do the work".
Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 PM

Never had that problem, are you putting your thumb along the spine of the rod? Try off to the side, just like a hammer.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 PM

There are three grips that I'll use on different occasions: thumb on top; finger on top; "pinch grip." The pinch grip has the thumb patially on the side of the cork, and the index finger tucked under the other side. It's tough to explain in words, but makes sense once you see it.

If you're having pain in your thumb, you may be over exerting it, like tennis elbow, just with your thumb.

I'd suggest for starters that you're gripping too hard (as someone else her has already suggested) or going back too far too much on the back cast, and that you try the finger on top grip. This is generally regarded as a presentation grip, with the thumb on top being a power and distance grip. You won't get the distance, but you'll be more accurate and can't over exert the the same as you can with the thumb on top.

Hope this helps.

Nick Sliwkanich
Old 08-17-2013, 04:51 AM

If I cast solid with my fly rod for at least 7 hours or so, I find that later my thumb hurts quite intensely. Since I rarely cast more than about 3 or 4 hours tops, a sore thumb is rarely a problem for me.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:05 AM

caused by poor grip, or possibly an imbalanced rod. grip the rod as you would grip someone's hand for a handshake. if you cast for several hours at a time such as on a full day float, consider getting a lighter rod and reel. a good bargain on such a rod would be an orvis access

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 AM

thanks a lot for all the replies, I will try to loosen my grip next time i'm out on the water. I forgot to mention that I am using a "cheap" rod and as someone mention that could also be an issues. but, hope to it the water tomorrow and will test the grip advice and there will an update. thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 AM

if you are using cheap line. That can cause all sorts of issues as well. I had an old 7 wt with garbage line. I had to really over power the delivery to get it to shoot line. I could get 20 cast and my shoulder was done. Upgraded line and Rod no more issues.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Cheap rods are usually heaver than a medium to good fly rod. They are usually softer. Your line probably doesn't match your rod. All this is a problem. Go to a fly shop not a big box store ( they only want to sell product, any product) The fly shop will fix you up with half descent stuff. Then get some casting lessons. a good teacher will have you casting in a couple of lessons sometimes in one lesson. then practice, on the grass, not on the river.
Columbia old guy
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Never had that problem, are you putting your thumb along the spine of the rod? Try off to the side, just like a hammer.
Putting your thumb on the spine is the correct way IMO. To the side is poor form that cause other casting problems.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 PM

thanks a lot for all the advices and suggestions which really opened my eyes. so after a few more outings trying to tweak a few things in my casting, I came to a conclusion its time to upgrade my gears.
I mean my setup cost me under 100$ from cabelas thats came with reel spooled with backing, fly line and leader and caught my first fish on the fly!!! I thought I did allright for my first year as a beginner fly fisherman.
I mean there a reason why other rods cost well over 500$. So I hear a lots of folks recommending the TFO is that reasonnable upgrade or should I consider something better??? budget range around 250$, give or take. thanks
Old 08-27-2013, 10:27 PM

There are too many options to list with a $250 budget for a rod. I personally like to pick up recently discontinued rods from the better name companies when the latest and greatest are introduced. You can still get the warranty and have a new rod at used pricing.

You should really try as many different rods as you can get your hands on before dropping a bunch of cash. You should also consider the type of fishing you enjoy the most as different rod types are better suited to different situations. A good dry fly rod for small streams may prove useless for throwing hoppers or nymph rigs on the Bow with a breeze blowing.

I have several different rods you are welcome to try and I am sure others will allow to cast theirs as well.

Personally I would look at a Sage Flight or Vantage in your price range. They are discontinued and available at closeout pricing if you can find them. Redington's Classic Trout and RS Series rods were an awesome value at full retail and are also available well below your budget.

You should budget $60-$90 for a quality line as well. The reel is the least important part as most trout type fishing doesn't require a lot of bells and whistles. It is mostly just there to hold the line. Balance is important however so be sure match reel to rod regardless of your choice.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:40 PM

Echo make some really nice rods that are in that budget area. I have bought two of there rods this year and am very impressed.