Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Default New fly fisherman read this

OK guys
I see lots of questions regarding new fly fishers.
1 join a fly fishing club. You will meet some of the best people you will ever meet in your life.
2 Buy your gear at a fly fishing store ,not a big box store
3 Take fly casting lessons
4 Go to your library and read every book on fly fishing you can get your hands on.
5 Buy flyfishing books recommened by your fly fishing store.
Note-- when you buy your fly fishing and fly tying equipment from a fly shop the shop guys will get to know you and the information they supply for nothing is worth a fortune. Good luck and have fun.
You will get more out of fly fishing than a cell phone or a TV and meet a lot of good guys and gals to boot.
Over 50 years on a fly rod
Columbia old guy
Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 AM

I agree with almost all he's said but disagree with the big box store thing if you're referring to Whole Sale Sports or Bass Pro. I agree not everyone in those stores knows a lot but there's a few really good employees at both places that do, in fact, know their stuff.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM

Default Great post

Calgary guy, a counterpoint would be most fly shop workers guide in the area as well. They are really a better option (most of the time) for info at least.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badflies View Post
Calgary guy, a counterpoint would be most fly shop workers guide in the area as well. They are really a better option (most of the time) for info at least.
agree

however if you've got your heart set on a certain rod or reel the big stores often have them cheaper. Do not get flies there though, they're usually machine tied and aren't as tough as the ones from a shop

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Banned

New Guys:

Ask as many questions as you want.

We all started the same as you.

Some of the best fly fishers in Alberta (not me) will help you out with anything. They are super friendly

Don't hesitate. Don't get your wheels stuck in the mud just spinning around

Beware of some of those "fishing clubs"......just a bunch of snobs who can do something better than someone else.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:33 PM

Forgot one important thing, get out on the water
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Man I did it all wrong... bought my stuff from wholesale, never read anything, no clubs, just trial end error. I tend to learn things the hard way. Anyone know of any good ccasting lessons. I'm still lacking certain techniques and it no would likely do me some good.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
agree

however if you've got your heart set on a certain rod or reel the big stores often have them cheaper. Do not get flies there though, they're usually machine tied and aren't as tough as the ones from a shop
Really? I would love to see that machine.....

There is no such thing as a "machine tied" fly: there are Kenyan tied flies, there are Phillipino tied flies, there are Sri Lankan tied flies, and there are locally tied flies.

Some flies are tied better or worse, some are tied with better or worse materials, but ALL flies are hand tied.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 PM

I would echo lots of the points above and add be patient to the list. It's unlikely you'll get the hang of fly fishing over night. When I started I would bring along spinning gear as well - helped me break up the time spent untangling lines with the occasional fish. It's not going to be easy to learn but it'll be worth it.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 AM

For new guys, I'll tell you I've learnt a ton off this site. Met two of my best fishing buddies off of here, one of which took me out without ever talking to me before for a great day of cutt fishing!

Ask questions, you'll get to know the 'nice' people who don't mind if ya shoot a PM to them!

And use the search function - this site is a library of information only a click away!