Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2018, 12:15 PM

Default Need a guide for Bow River Float trip in July

I'm visiting Banff for the first time and want to take my grandson 14 on his first fly fishing float trip. I can google guides for Banff and take my chances or ask locals in the know: can you recommend a good guide or outfitter company? We'll be staying in Canmore and want at least one full day of trout fishing on the Bow.
I thought I had a guide but when I got ready to book he went silent on me, so I think I need to find someone who needs my business.
Many thanks,
Don

PS if you prefer to contact me off the forum, please email me at donhdoyle@yahoo.com
Old 05-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don46 View Post
I'm visiting Banff for the first time and want to take my grandson 14 on his first fly fishing float trip. I can google guides for Banff and take my chances or ask locals in the know: can you recommend a good guide or outfitter company? We'll be staying in Canmore and want at least one full day of trout fishing on the Bow.
I thought I had a guide but when I got ready to book he went silent on me, so I think I need to find someone who needs my business.
Many thanks,
Don

PS if you prefer to contact me off the forum, please email me at donhdoyle@yahoo.com
The guys at Wapiti Sports & Outfitters out in Canmore are good people, I'd give them a call (403-678-5550). Sounds like a memorable trip for you and your grandson!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:32 PM

You could fish right in Canmore and not use a guide at all. On the west side of Canmore, the end of Larch Avenue, you can get on the trails that go along the Bow river. I even noticed a fishing guide walking the shoreline trail there with his clients. The river is braided a bit in this area so there are a few channels. I have fished this area with rubbertail jigs and spinners and caught several browns in a day. Usually in faster water, The fish hold behind the riffles caused by rocks. Even in the smaller channels. I just bounced the rubbertails down the riffles. In July the water might be high so it could be iffy. If the river is high there are other local places to fish.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-07-2018, 08:33 PM

The Bow around Canmore is not nearly as productive as it is in Calgary and downstream. It's beautiful around Canmore, but if you want numbers and size, you need to go downstream of Calgary. It's a bit more of a drive, but it's defiantly worth hit. That's where you will experience the true Bow.

Call Fish Tales in Calgary. They are the best guides and the best people, though there are lots of good ones in Calgary.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
The Bow around Canmore is not nearly as productive as it is in Calgary and downstream. It's beautiful around Canmore, but if you want numbers and size, you need to go downstream of Calgary. It's a bit more of a drive, but it's defiantly worth hit. That's where you will experience the true Bow.

Call Fish Tales in Calgary. They are the best guides and the best people, though there are lots of good ones in Calgary.
This is good to know. Does the Lower Bow refer to the stretch beginning in Calgary? We could just as easily stay there for the night before and of our day of fishing.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don46 View Post
This is good to know. Does the Lower Bow refer to the stretch beginning in Calgary? We could just as easily stay there for the night before and of our day of fishing.
I find the fishing really picks up in Calgary and downstream to Carsland. Contact David Blair at FishTales and explain your situation and he'll help you plan out the best trip.